Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Retro & Arcade

Notices

Search our forums with Google:
View Poll Results: What Atari ST/ST's do you own or previously owned?
Atari 520ST/1040ST 3 30.00%
Atari 520STFM/1040STFM 1 10.00%
Atari 520STE/1040STE 5 50.00%
Atari Mega ST/STE 1 10.00%
STacy/ST Book 0 0%
Other ST's (specify) or an Amiga because ST's suck! 3 30.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 24th February 2017, 2:02 AM   #16
Recharge

I still have some original floppies (not drives), if anyone wants them to check if they still work?
I'll take some pix tomorrow.
I'm british on my mum's side and think most aussies and aussie culture in general is just absolutely degenerate.
Recharge is online now   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 24th February 2017, 9:34 AM   #17
power Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recharge View Post
I still have some original floppies (not drives), if anyone wants them to check if they still work?
I'll take some pix tomorrow.
Are these ST floppies? Or just PC 2.5" floppies?

Once I get my ST's FDD sorted I'd be happy to check them out.

If you watch the YT vid in the OP you can also see a way to read and write ST floppies on a Windows machine.

Skip to 16:21
Old 24th February 2017, 1:10 PM   #18
Recharge

I might have jumped the gun on posting, just had a look at where I keep by remaining hoarded stuff and they aren't there, I'll have a good look, but I think I may have tossed them when I tossed my st and falcon 030 a few years ago.
if I find them, I'll let you know.
doh.

stupid memory, I swear I remember seeing them when we moved here, but I might be fooling myself.

http://ia801602.us.archive.org/zipvi...2012_04_23.zip

wow, that's quite a list...
I'm british on my mum's side and think most aussies and aussie culture in general is just absolutely degenerate.
Old 24th February 2017, 1:12 PM   #19
power Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recharge View Post
when I tossed my st and falcon 030 a few years ago.
)*(&Y{$Q#Y$# you fucking what!
Old 24th February 2017, 1:19 PM   #20
Recharge

I know I know, at the time I tried to give it all away to a collector. but I simply could not find one, I'm pretty sure I put it all up on OCAU for free and no one wanted any of it at the time.

and we had to move house, I ended up fulling three full sized skip bins with all the shit I hoarded over the years.
it had to go, I couldn't find a place with space to keep it all.

seemed like a good idea at the time. in hindsight.. I'm an idiot ha.
still, it all broke me of 90% of the hoarding bug I had. which is good, trust me on that.

Last edited by Recharge; 24th February 2017 at 1:23 PM.
Old 24th February 2017, 1:30 PM   #21
power Thread Starter

You make me a bit sad, at least when I got rid of some old stuff about 20 years ago I sold it to a pawn shop, I like to think it's out there somewhere still.

Some shit will never be worth hoarding though - old generic PC HW is the biggest one I can think of. There's just nothing unique about it and there's sooo much of it. Whereas the ST - yeah, it's unique and there are things that only an ST can do.

I do miss the days of manufacturers making their own thing from the ground up, I know a lot of them crashed and burned - but they tried, they didn't just plop together a beige/black box of generic bits that every other man and his dog is making to run software designed for it.

essentially ST/Amiga/C64/Speccy/etc > boring ass PC's.
Old 24th February 2017, 7:37 PM   #22
flu!d
Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS

You've gotta remember that only ten years ago you couldn't give retro hardware away, it's only recently that it's all made such a big comeback along with a corresponding spike in Ebay prices.

Dell T5500, Xeon X5675 Hex core @ 3.46Ghz max, 24GB RAM, GTX 670FTW, 60GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD OS drive, 2 x 1TB home/storage drives, Dual Acer V243HQ 1920 x 1080 monitors, Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS and loving it!
flu!d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2017, 8:23 PM   #23
power Thread Starter

As promised some ST pics.

It makes me very sad my FDD isn't currently working, after all I'm clearly ready to go.

So I decided to do a pull down and dust everything out. Plenty of famous names under the hood, from Sony, Foxconn to Seimens and LG maybe you'd be better off just making the bits not the whole thing?

iFixit repair rating 9/10!!

Damn you Sony Floppy Drive!

1MB of RAM! The possibilities are limitless

256kb modules, can be swapped out to give a total of 4MB - woah.

Last edited by power; 24th February 2017 at 8:30 PM.
power is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2017, 8:23 AM   #24
flu!d
Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS

How interesting, looks like the STe had blitter support. I also don't remember those SIMM's being on a standard ST, perhaps an STe option also?

That is a very nice looking machine Power, even as an Amiga enthusiast I'm capable of admitting that!

Dell T5500, Xeon X5675 Hex core @ 3.46Ghz max, 24GB RAM, GTX 670FTW, 60GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD OS drive, 2 x 1TB home/storage drives, Dual Acer V243HQ 1920 x 1080 monitors, Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS and loving it!
flu!d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2017, 9:50 AM   #25
power Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flu!d View Post
How interesting, looks like the STe had blitter support. I also don't remember those SIMM's being on a standard ST, perhaps an STe option also?

That is a very nice looking machine Power, even as an Amiga enthusiast I'm capable of admitting that!
It did have a blitter, unfortunately the earlier model was the most popular so very few games made use of all that extra horsepower. Kind of like when AGA came to Amiga, the 500 was still king so everything came back to that level because that was the install base.

On top of that sound imo was it's biggest Achilles heel (the entire ST range).

The machine itself is very well made though, the internal PSU and RF modulator were always great and the overall style felt more complete. However the keyboard was a big letdown (mushy keys). But most keyboards of the day left much to be desired.

The decision to put the joystick and mouse ports on the underside (back of the keyboard to be exact) was one that baffles me to this day. Possibly one of the worst design decisions ever.

No native composite port of any kind was also a funny decision. But it's one of those things, they had to make these decisions in the 80's.
Old 27th February 2017, 3:00 PM   #26
bYrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by flu!d View Post
You've gotta remember that only ten years ago you couldn't give retro hardware away, it's only recently that it's all made such a big comeback along with a corresponding spike in Ebay prices.
+ and that most machines have been destroyed now, through e-waste.

I used an Atari 520ST for music in high school, alongside some beefy MIDI controller and keyboard (and a huge harpsichord!) It had a black and white screen and basically felt just like MacOS. Pretty amazing what it could do, and definitely Atari's niche in the day.

JB

Last edited by bYrd; 27th February 2017 at 3:02 PM.
bYrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2017, 3:04 PM   #27
power Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bYrd View Post
+ and that most machines have been destroyed now, through e-waste.

I used an Atari 520ST for music in high school, alongside some beefy MIDI controller and keyboard (and a huge harpsichord!) It had a black and white screen and basically felt just like MacOS. Pretty amazing what it could do, and definitely Atari's niche in the day.

JB
should have kept at it, you might have ended up famous

Old 6th March 2017, 3:12 PM   #28
aXLe

I'm now the owner of an Atari 1040 STE Its fitted with a Gotek USB floppy emulator, and I have a mouse but that is it for the moment.

Unfortunately the case looks quite bad in that a previous owner has likely attempted to retrobrite it, and messed it up. I'll post some photos later, but I'm chasing a new badge plus another case if I can find one (else I'll probably paint it).

Would anyone have spare bits and pieces? I checked those US parts places and they have run out of new cases and only have the 4160STE badges (which I may have to get if I cant find a 1040STE badge).
aXLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2017, 1:05 PM   #29
power Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aXLe View Post
I'm now the owner of an Atari 1040 STE Its fitted with a Gotek USB floppy emulator, and I have a mouse but that is it for the moment.

Unfortunately the case looks quite bad in that a previous owner has likely attempted to retrobrite it, and messed it up. I'll post some photos later, but I'm chasing a new badge plus another case if I can find one (else I'll probably paint it).

Would anyone have spare bits and pieces? I checked those US parts places and they have run out of new cases and only have the 4160STE badges (which I may have to get if I cant find a 1040STE badge).
I'm starting to think I need to invest in one of these new fandangled gotek thingy's.

Wonder if I can get one that will go between the two machines (ST and Amiga).

There seem to be a few different types though, anyone know if they are all just packaged differently or are there actual differences?
Old 7th March 2017, 1:08 PM   #30
MR CHILLED
D'oh!

Can't be exactly sure but I think from memory I had the 1040STFM back in the day.