Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > General Topics > Overclocking & Hardware

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 23rd February 2017, 7:51 PM   #1
peteed1985 Thread Starter

Default Is there a way to connect my TV to my PC like this?

So right now I use my PC with dual monitors for gaming and game development like programming so I need my 2nd monitor to be an extended desktop like it is already.

What I want to do is connect my 40 inch TV to my PC and have it so that the TV isn't a 3rd monitor in the extended desktop but rather is it's own desktop that I have to do something special on my PC to change to controlling it. Basically so I can now and again swap to it and start a new netflix/youtube vid to watch while I play/work.

Is this type of thing doable?
peteed1985 is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 23rd February 2017, 9:20 PM   #2
russkris

What hardware do you have?
russkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2017, 6:38 PM   #3
ae00711

you want to add a third monitor without it being a third monitor?

just plug it in, extend desktop, do nothing with it when you don't (want to) use it & use it when you need to, simple.

ae00711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2017, 6:42 PM   #4
connico

Sounds like you want a second pc connected to the TV to run netflix etc... and need a kvm or remote desktop session to control it...

Media player??
Old 25th February 2017, 8:39 PM   #5
havabeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteed1985 View Post
So right now I use my PC with dual monitors for gaming and game development like programming so I need my 2nd monitor to be an extended desktop like it is already.

What I want to do is connect my 40 inch TV to my PC and have it so that the TV isn't a 3rd monitor in the extended desktop but rather is it's own desktop that I have to do something special on my PC to change to controlling it. Basically so I can now and again swap to it and start a new netflix/youtube vid to watch while I play/work.

Is this type of thing doable?
can't you play games with a custom resolution so it only takes up 2 monitors so if you really had to you could have youtube or something running (having two lots of sound coming through is a different matter)

i don't think what you want is really doable in the fact you want it to run completely separate till you alt+tab to it
Old 9th March 2017, 3:14 PM   #6
Reins

Windows 10 virtual desktop? Unsure if it has the functionality you are after but it may be what you're after.

Also, we used to use a program at school like this.. I think it was called '4 Screens' or something similar.

Data Recovery & Custom builds, located in the Blue Mountains, NSW.
Reins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2017, 3:21 PM   #7
tree86ers

sorta sounds like remote display.. almost.
this sounds like something that a chrome cast or an apple tv would be suited for (if you dont have a smart TV) if that is all your going to be doing with it (that being youtube or netflix etc)
tree86ers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2017, 6:50 PM   #8
Usambara

Haven't tried any of there.

Someone has apparently made something like you are talking about
https://www.actualtools.com/virtuald...monitors.shtml

There was also some software that allowed sharing input devices between multiple PC's. But It does require a 2nd PC running, can't remember what, I thought MS was doing a version. PC on usb key with HDMI for under $50 would easily fill that niche.
Quick search on that concept
http://www.keyboard-and-mouse-sharing.com/
https://symless.com/synergy/

If the you can't have another PC running.
Perhaps a VM using PCI pass through where you hand over an extra video card to the VM. If you have a discret Video card, and onboard give the onboard to the TV VM. Dunno which support it fully on Windows. KVM easy.
Usambara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2017, 7:02 PM   #9
Rezin

Sounds like you just want to restrict the mouse from moving to the TV (most of the time), and to not have any desktop background/icons/taskbar/etc on it?
Rezin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2017, 9:43 PM   #10
guy.incogneto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezin View Post
Sounds like you just want to restrict the mouse from moving to the TV (most of the time), and to not have any desktop background/icons/taskbar/etc on it?
That's how I read it

If so, then Windows basic screen management does it.
On win10 it's - Windows button + p

I'm pretty sure what you want is what I have set up.

I set the tv as monitor 1, this main pc monitor as 2 and secondary pc monitor as 3
When I want the tv, I use "pc monitor only"
When I want the pc monitors, use "2nd screen only"
guy.incogneto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2017, 10:15 PM   #11
Rezin

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy.incogneto View Post
On win10 it's - Windows button + p
Yeah, but that's just a quick way to extend monitors. I think he's more after something like this (without the use of any other programs)

https://i.imgur.com/l9jIYuZ.png

The mouse doesn't go to the other monitor as easily when they're side-by-side... it has to go through the corner.
Rezin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2017, 12:07 PM   #12
Unframed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezin View Post
Yeah, but that's just a quick way to extend monitors. I think he's more after something like this (without the use of any other programs)

https://i.imgur.com/l9jIYuZ.png

The mouse doesn't go to the other monitor as easily when they're side-by-side... it has to go through the corner.
That can be done in display properties.

From what I read you may want to look at how your graphics card can use your displays. I have 3 displays, when playing overwatch/editing video I use extended desktop because they are distinguished as individual monitors but for games like mirrors edge I enable a 6400x1080 preset array in Crimson.

It sounds like you may want to make 2 monitors an array and the TV as an extended desktop which should be entirely possible via GPU multi-monitor configs.
CoolerMaster CM Storm Stryker | Intel 4790 w/ H55 | Asus Maximus VII Hero | Gigabyte R9 Fury X | Samsung 840 120GB, Kingston Savage 480GB, Samsung 840 Evo 240GB, 4x 3TB Seagate | 32GB Kingston Fury 1866Mhz | SteelSeries Apex M500/SteelSeries Sensei | Enermax Revolution87+ 1000W | Dell U2913MW, 2x 23" Acer
Unframed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2017, 9:50 AM   #13

I have low vision so when I change to controlling the TV I kinda want to control it while seeing it on my main PC screen too and then when I change back being able to go back to my game.

It might be a 40" TV but being so far away I can't read anything on it. The only way I can see for it is me installing say a virtual machine 2nd copy of windows that can run in a window that I could drag onto my main screen to start videos and then move the window back to the other monitor. But I think that'd bog the system way down.
Old 11th March 2017, 10:43 AM   #14
tree86ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteed1985 View Post
I have low vision so when I change to controlling the TV I kinda want to control it while seeing it on my main PC screen too and then when I change back being able to go back to my game.

It might be a 40" TV but being so far away I can't read anything on it. The only way I can see for it is me installing say a virtual machine 2nd copy of windows that can run in a window that I could drag onto my main screen to start videos and then move the window back to the other monitor. But I think that'd bog the system way down.
ok that gives more context.. and i think your over thinking it.
as long as your vid card can display to the TV as well just have a web browser or app (netflix has an app right?) to drag it down and change what you need then flick it back up. running a VM to watch vid's is a bit overkill.
tree86ers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2017, 1:35 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tree86ers View Post
ok that gives more context.. and i think your over thinking it.
as long as your vid card can display to the TV as well just have a web browser or app (netflix has an app right?) to drag it down and change what you need then flick it back up. running a VM to watch vid's is a bit overkill.
Yeah I just don't wanna mouse over to the 3rd screen by mistake when I have the TV off or while i'm in a raid on WoW or even mistakenly mouse to it and pause the video xD