Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Retro & Arcade

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 24th February 2017, 4:07 PM   #1
power Thread Starter

Default There's a happy ending for the missing SNES package

Not sure how many of you followed this but when I first heard about it I was compeltely shocked and saddened for those involved. I can't imagine how stressful it would have been. But something good happened - thanks to all the publicity the story had.

There's a happy ending for the missing SNES package

Quote:
Last week we told you about a missing package containing somewhere around $10,000 worth of PAL format Super Nintendo (SNES) games. The package was on its way to archivist and game historian Byuu, who was working with the games' owner to create and upload perfect ROMs of their data. Unfortunately, the parcel went missing somewhere between its origin in Frankfurt, Germany, and Byuu's home in New Jersey. Byuu was convinced that the package had been stolen when he received the mailing labels and an apology letter from the United States Postal Service (USPS).

It wasn't looking good, and Byuu began setting things in motion to replace the cartridges for the collector, assuming he'd never see the package again. However, the media attention the story received on this site and elsewhere helped Byuu to get in touch with a manager at the USPS Consumer Affairs department, who began looking into the case personally. "It wasn't until the story really started to take off that on February 16th, finally a manager... took note of the case." Byuu wrote in a statement on his website. "And I mean that literally: he told me straight up the reason he was contacting me was because of the news articles he had encountered on this case."
Quote:
Byuu offered an apology to the USPS for assuming that the games had been stolen, though he isn't letting the postal service off the hook entirely.

"There is a very real issue in that their machines are ripping the labels right off of packages. There's a very real concern in that it's damn near impossible to get help when something goes wrong unless you manage to attract a lot of media attention... My package was sitting in Atlanta, GA for well over a month with my address clearly visible right on the box. Had this case not been escalated to the media, it likely would have gone up for auction in a bin with other electronics sometime in March.

As absolutely thrilled as I am to have these games finally delivered, I do still believe the entire experience reflects poorly on the capabilities of the USPS. All I can do is caution people to minimize the amount of valuables sent through them, and to make sure that 100% of the value of their items are covered by insurance."

Last edited by power; 24th February 2017 at 4:09 PM.
power is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 24th February 2017, 7:03 PM   #2
Krumm

It's truly a shame that quite often people only experience any kind of service (sometimes, not always) once a fuss has been raised in the media, seems I have read similar articles where the media attention produced an outcome after false ban on a game, faulty hardware, stolen accounts etc

I hadn't heard of this but I've had similar experience with Aus Post and a package with tracking going missing after landing in one of their depots, as I was the recipient of the package and not the sender Australia Post refused to deal with me and the sender wasn't particularly interested in following up. I still fail to see how an item gets tracked going into a building and then is never seen again and can only assume it was stolen and nobody bothered to do anything about it.
Krumm is offline   Reply With Quote