Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Retro & Arcade

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 1st March 2017, 11:44 AM   #1
elvis Thread Starter
Old school old fool

Lightbulb Retro Let's Play Early March 2017: "Chrono Trigger" (1995)

Retro Let's Play Early March 2017: "Chrono Trigger" (1995)

(We're also playing Bubble Bobble currently in a twofer, click here for that thread).

FAQ Here on what this is and why we're doing it.

Copy/paste from the Wikipedia intro:

"Chrono Trigger is a role-playing video game developed and published by Square (now Square Enix) for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System in 1995. Chrono Trigger's development team included three designers that Square dubbed the "Dream Team": Hironobu Sakaguchi, the creator of Square's Final Fantasy series; Yuji Horii, a freelance designer and creator of Enix's popular Dragon Quest series; and Akira Toriyama, a freelance manga artist famed for his work with Dragon Quest and Dragon Ball."

Chrono Trigger gets rave reviews from almost anyone who talks about it, and features regularly on podcasts and must-play lists. It's one I've missed over the years, and is high on my "gaming bucket list". Very excited to play it this month. Well noted for it's amazing story, multiple endings, and fantastic music composition.

More information here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrono_Trigger
http://www.mobygames.com/game/snes/chrono-trigger
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/chr...onotrigger.htm

Originally released for Super Famicom and Super Nintendo (SNES), it was later ported to Sony Playstation and Nintendo DS. [edit: Android/iOS now too - see below]

SNES and PSX versions are easily played on emulators or via RetroPie.

[edit]

This has been ported to Android and iPhone! Buy a copy here:

Android via Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...y.chrono&hl=en

iPhone/iPad via Apple App Store: https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/chro...479431697?mt=8

Square Enix Market: http://www.square-enix.co.jp/smart/chronotrigger/

SNES Video:

Android review:

Box art:

Last edited by elvis; 7th March 2017 at 3:21 PM.
elvis is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 1st March 2017, 12:01 PM   #2
sammy_b0i

Yasss! Such an amazing classic. Have memories of emulating this when I was much younger. Don't think I ever finished.

There's also a sequel in "Chrono Cross" but I don't think it was anywhere near as loved as the original.
OCAU is a breeding ground for hyper-moralistic 13 year olds who've never stepped out of the computer room in their entire life. Young liberals, young labor, people who will grow old and die before they ever think about pulling their head out.
sammy_b0i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2017, 12:23 PM   #3
elvis Thread Starter
Old school old fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy_b0i View Post
There's also a sequel in "Chrono Cross" but I don't think it was anywhere near as loved as the original.
I just finished listening to a Retronauts podcast on this the other day, but depending what you consider canon, there's a title in the middle called "Radical Dreamers":

https://archive.org/details/Retronau...l+Dreamers.mp3
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radical_Dreamers

It was a Super Famicom Satellaview exclusive, although apparently exists in the Playstation Chrono Trigger port somewhere as an easter egg. There are ROMs and fan translations available now, thankfully, given that Satellaview service was streaming only, and ended quite a number of years ago.

I won't post a longplay video as it's a visual novel style game, and that would spoil it for anyone who wants to go track it down.

Last edited by elvis; 1st March 2017 at 12:45 PM.
Old 1st March 2017, 11:23 PM   #4
okclock123

Definitely a classic. Beat it 2 times in the last couple years. Compared to other RPGs it's fairly short and not very difficult. Very hard to discuss this without spoiling the fun for others. And there's definitely a lot to discuss here because this one has a lot of options, split-offs, stories and ways to win.
okclock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2017, 8:38 AM   #5
power

I was never into this style of game, maybe now is the time to try one out.
Old 2nd March 2017, 9:20 AM   #6
elvis Thread Starter
Old school old fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by power View Post
I was never into this style of game, maybe now is the time to try one out.
When I was younger, I was hardcore arcade fighters and shmups. My attention span for anything with an intro screen longer than 3 seconds and a level longer than 99 seconds was nought.

Now I'm older and calmer (read: slower) I'm keen to go back and start playing JPRGs.

I got half way through Phantasy Star on Sega Master System last year, but that kind of fell off my list once I hit about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way through. The grinding really got to me, which I know is just a part of JRPGs (some more than others).

Chrono Trigger's one criticism that hardcore JRPG folks seem to give it is that it's "too easy". In that respect, it sounds like perfect "my first JRPG" title.

I've never played a big Square/Enix game past a few hours. I tried Secret of Mana, got stuck at the wolves early on, and gave up. I tried Illusion of Gaia, got stuck on some outdoor wind puzzle thing, and gave up. I can happily invest hours into a difficult twitch-style game or fighter where it's my skill that's the limiting factor, but when it comes to things that I feel are roadblocks put up by a game, I get frustrated and bail.

I usually get weird looks when I say I've never played Chrono Trigger, especially considering my extensive SNES collection back in the day courtesy of my Super Wildcard DX, which meant I'd played and "owned" 100s of SNES games in the 90s. It's still my favourite console to this day, and Chrono Trigger has always been a bucket-list item to play. I'd voted for it in every poll so far (this is the third time it showed up, originally nominated by nimmers), and I'm very happy it's in now.

Plan is to fire up the old Tototek flash cart on the weekend, plug the Super Famicom into the 20" PVM, crank the Marantz amp all the way to 11, and give this a solid blast.
Old 2nd March 2017, 9:25 AM   #7
power

I hear you elvis, I am no fan of grinding. I do it in modern RPG's but on a console it was all about pickup and play. Deepest I got was things like Eye of The Beholder, Sim City also adventures on 32 bit consoles but the old grind - yeah I hear ya.
Old 2nd March 2017, 9:40 AM   #8
nimmers

Played this last year, I'll start a NG+ playthrough in the next couple of nights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis View Post
When I was younger, I was hardcore arcade fighters and shmups. My attention span for anything with an intro screen longer than 3 seconds and a level longer than 99 seconds was nought.

Now I'm older and calmer (read: slower) I'm keen to go back and start playing JPRGs.
This is basically why I nominated this game. I didn't get access to it as a kid (never saw a PAL release) and was more into my Street Fighter games anyway. Played this and Earthbound last year when I bought a SD2SNES.

I think if you were only going to play one JRPG and wanted one that gives you the gist of what they are all about, Chrono Trigger is the one to play. I was genuinely sad about it ending.
nimmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2017, 10:09 AM   #9
elvis Thread Starter
Old school old fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimmers View Post
Played this and Earthbound last year when I bought a SD2SNES.
Mother/Earthbound series is high on my gaming bucket list as well. I think there's extra challenge there from my perspective in just trying to track down the "best" translated version, as nobody can seem to agree on that. (GBA version? Wii VC version? Fan translation?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimmers View Post
I think if you were only going to play one JRPG and wanted one that gives you the gist of what they are all about, Chrono Trigger is the one to play. I was genuinely sad about it ending.
Definitely seems to be the consensus. I've had one co-worker nag me to play it for quite literally years now to play it (and he loves Super Metroid, so I consider his opinion on gaming valid ).
Old 2nd March 2017, 10:10 AM   #10
samus

Classic, classic game. Arguably the best JRPG of it's time. It is really the best story of the time, and the first experience I had with multiple endings. I laughed, cried and cheered along with them and their struggles. Great game.

As above, i replayed it only recently, so NG+ time. This is also the first game I played with NG+.

I have an original PAL cartridge, with a dead battery.

OCAU Mercedes Benz Club Member #2
samus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2017, 10:26 AM   #11
elvis Thread Starter
Old school old fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by samus View Post
I have an original PAL cartridge, with a dead battery.
You probably already know, but that's a cheap and easy fix:
http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/cartridge-...y-replacement/
Old 2nd March 2017, 10:45 AM   #12
nimmers

Quote:
Originally Posted by samus View Post
As above, i replayed it only recently, so NG+ time. This is also the first game I played with NG+.
Mass Effect 2 is one of my favorite RPGs. When I played Chrono Trigger for the first time last year I also picked up on a few things it took.
  • New Game +
  • Party Recruitment Missions
  • Party Loyalty Quests
  • Party composition and synergies
nimmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2017, 11:39 AM   #13
samus

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis View Post
You probably already know, but that's a cheap and easy fix:
http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/cartridge-...y-replacement/
Thanks elvis, I've already removed it. I didn't want it to leak and destroy the cart. I'm a bit too space constrained (read: low WAF) to have all my consoles hooked up. All of my consoles are packed and wrapped in the garage, the HTPC does all those duties.

OCAU Mercedes Benz Club Member #2
samus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2017, 3:58 PM   #14
Boneman

I wish the Wii VC had some kind of filtering option, my eyeballs are bleeding.
Boneman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2017, 7:46 PM   #15
elvis Thread Starter
Old school old fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneman View Post
I wish the Wii VC had some kind of filtering option, my eyeballs are bleeding.
Play via component cables on an SDTV CRT at 480i (not 576i, not 480p), and the Wii should spit out 240p for VC games.

Edit: link:
http://retrorgb.com/wiivsclassic.html

Last edited by elvis; 2nd March 2017 at 9:09 PM.