Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Business & Enterprise Computing

Notices

Search our forums with Google:
Closed Thread

Old 19th March 2017, 7:31 PM   #211
scips

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbb1935 View Post
There's most likely an O365 migration coming up

Nsanity/me/everyone else in this subform: Skykick/migration wiz, 1 weekend, done.

cbb: 6 months of "planning" for o365 migration then abandon in favor of onsite exchange.

Ed: Seriously, do your MCSA in O365 now, ive done the coursework/5day lab with an instructor and could of honestly 100% no bullshit knocked out the entire lab in a 7.6hr workday if it wasnt for <vic government IT agency> retards slowing the entire week down and asking stupid questions about how2 DNS/GPO etc

If i manage to do my exam before you do...oh there is something wrong there since im moving city/job/working on bucketloads of doco for offloading proactive maintenance and am aiming to do the exam by end of April.

Last edited by scips; 19th March 2017 at 7:37 PM.

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 19th March 2017, 8:04 PM   #212
Fred Nurk

Quote:
Okay so let me get this straight:
  • If I stay silent (because I'm actually doing things), everyone comes back with "waste of time", "full of shit", "doing nothing".
  • If I reply stating that I'm actually making some (albeit small) prelim steps to change, everyone comes back with "full of shit", "doing nothing", etc etc.
If people revisit the first post I made, they'll see that this thread was always about improving my skills because they've become stale, and asking how others had done that.

It was about how to change to really shape a "career in IT", rather than just "having a job in IT".

If I had no intention of changing or even acting on any advice in here I'd simply have replied "did fuck all this weekend, slept the entire time, and couldn't be bothered even looking back over this thread".

The fact I've spent time formulating a document which steps me through exactly what I need to do, and what course material I need to buy in order to pass those exams, surely has to count for a step in the right direction right?

Ergo, next step, getting the course material, and getting to work studying/learning!

Or did people expect me to come back here (to avoid the above mentioned posts), and say "all good done my MSCE in everything microsoft in the past 3 days"??

I even detailed in this thread there were other things I had to get out of the way first. They are now.

But honestly, I'd probably still get slammed if I stayed quiet and in a months time updated with every course material I'd gone through and understood.
There's an art (either conciously or unconciously) of finding semi-related tasks to complete in order to effect the illusion of either being busy, or having achieved something. This includes cleaning the house or making plans instead of updating the resume or applying for different jobs.

The problem with the art, is that whilst its even possible to fool yourself, its not necessarily possible to fool others as to what the tasks encompass and whether or not they're enabling progress towards the end goal.

This is the case with what is being discussed here. Its incredibly hard to convince everyone else that you're taking weeks in order to select the right drip tray for your coolgardie safe whilst everyone else has managed to buy new fridges in the same timeframe.

To paraphrase Clerks, its time to shit or get off the pot. CBB, making plans or doing research on certificates or setting up test labs is giving you the illusion of progress without actually achieving the targets, but giving you a false sense of achievement whilst enabling you to continue not changing anything. Its harsh, but its reality, and the only person who can change that is you.
People measure effort when they can't measure results. When someone complains of a lack of effort on your part, you've already won as they don't know what you are doing, and they don't know what you should be doing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke212 View Post
im an idiot savant.
Old 19th March 2017, 8:36 PM   #213
ir0nhide

Since you're doing an O365 move, why not get certified at the same time?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/lear...ification.aspx
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomman View Post
I think you'll find the diggers would prefer he goes in marine uniform.
Old 19th March 2017, 8:46 PM   #214
PabloEscobar

Quote:
Or did people expect me to come back here (to avoid the above mentioned posts), and say "all good done my MSCE in everything microsoft in the past 3 days"??

But honestly, I'd probably still get slammed if I stayed quiet and in a months time updated with every course material I'd gone through and understood.
I expected you to have applied for jobs.. 2 weeks is amply time to polish up the old CV and send it to everyone on Seek who even looks like it may be up your alley.

Most of the "slamming" posts stem from repeated 'grand ideas' posts, which nothing concrete ever comes from. Lurkers have found value in these thread, which I'm sure is the only reason people continually reply to them. But as people become less and less patient, the will devolve into LolCBB threads quicker and quicker.

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/sh...d.php?t=483465

Go there, Ask for 3 Months, come back, regail us with stories about what you've learned and when your new job starts.
Old 19th March 2017, 8:59 PM   #215
looktall
Working Class Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloEscobar View Post
2 weeks is amply time to polish up the old CV and send it to everyone on Seek who even looks like it may be up your alley.
The 2-3 hours he wasted on that certification plan should have been enough to get a CV done up.
It would've been a bit rough and maybe lacking in detail but it would have been an accomplishment and a sound basis for finalising something more thorough.

Seriously cbb.
Stop wasting your time on the certification plan for now.
Get your cv sorted and apply for some jobs.
You can work on the plan while waiting to hear back from your applications.

I'm applying for 2 more jobs tomorrow and the only reason I can do this is because I took the time to update my CV and write a generic cover letter in November last year.
My last cv update before that was over 9 years ago.

The cv is ready to go for any job.
The cover letter is easily adjusted to suit the specific job I'm applying for.
Old 19th March 2017, 9:28 PM   #216
cbb1935 Thread Starter

Actually it's been 19 years since I've touched my resume!

It's a catch 22.

Most jobs require experience. If I go for a job now, first 2012 / 2016 / O365 question and I'm out the door. I found a very similar position to what I'm in the other day... $50-$60k salary. Unforunately the industry wants blood from a stone, unless you have the certs and experience to back up the job requirements.

Plus if I resign I toss away quite a decent payout.

I'd prefer to skill up whilst I'm gainfully employed, and then (at least), if something does happen, I'm partially on my way to being skilled, rather than not at all.

Heck, ideally I'll like to push on through, get certified/qualified/confident in products I'd be supporting in the year 2016... and then if something did happen work wise, I get a payout, plus start aiming for decent jobs.

Get a new job, learn on the job, and continue skilling up till I reach the area of the industry I want to be in.
Old 19th March 2017, 9:30 PM   #217
NSanity

Quote:
Most jobs require experience. If I go for a job now, first 2012 / 2016 / O365 question and I'm out the door. I found a very similar position to what I'm in the other day... $50-$60k salary. Unforunately the industry wants blood from a stone, unless you have the certs and experience to back up the job requirements.
we pay $50k for basic, no skills, no experience, L1 support.

Last edited by NSanity; 19th March 2017 at 9:34 PM.
Old 19th March 2017, 9:58 PM   #218
cvidler

Quote:
Today slept in till 10am, vacuumed the house, packed/unpacked dishwasher, cleaned up after dog, did the lawns/edges, did some gardening, did the washing and put it out, did the weeks shopping. Came back at had lunch, made my lunches for the week, had a shave and shower.
and now it's 6PM and the day's pretty much gone.
There's still 6 more hours in the day, even after you've wasted half of it sleeping in.

Honestly, if you really had wanted it it'd be done by now.

2-3 hours writing up your 'list' could've been the crash course for one of the exams.

there's 5 YEAR OLDS getting MCSE's it's not rocket science, it's not even computer science.
https://www.google.com/search?q=youngest+mcse
Old 19th March 2017, 10:12 PM   #219
Matthew kane

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSanity View Post
we pay $50k for basic, no skills, no experience, L1 support.
Ain't that just basic help-desk, reception or administration sort of work?
Intel i7 3960X @ 4.7GHZ - Noctua NH-D14 | 16GB OCZ Platinum Series DDR3 1600MHZ | Asus Rampage IV Extreme (4901 bios) | 2 x Leadtek GTX680 4GB | PNY GTX465 unlocked to 470 (Physx) | Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatality Pro with LME47920's opamps | OCZ Vertex 3 240GB | OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB| 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Green, 4 x 2TB Seagate LP | Enermax Revolution 85+ 1250watt | Antec P280 + Veris Elite | LG BD Rewriter
Old 19th March 2017, 10:13 PM   #220
NSanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew kane View Post
Ain't that just basic help-desk, reception or administration sort of work?
basically if you have a pulse, can pick up a phone and follow a checklist...
Old 19th March 2017, 10:18 PM   #221
looktall
Working Class Hero

Quote:
Most jobs require experience. If I go for a job now, first 2012 / 2016 / O365 question and I'm out the door.
you're making excuses.
You will never know that this is what will happen until you actually do it.

"While i don't have a great deal of experience with that particular software, I'm confident I could utilise what I've learnt in the last x years in my current job to achieve a suitable outcome.
I am a quick learner and I believe I can quickly upskill from product x to product y"

An honest answer that reminds the interviewer that you do have a lot of useful knowledge.

Last edited by looktall; 19th March 2017 at 10:24 PM.
Old 20th March 2017, 5:18 AM   #222
Diode

No need to spend money on new computers for a home lab. If you're dead set serious about improving your skills you could start today just by messing about in AWS or Azure for free. Learn to build some servers in the cloud, once you have set them up and accessed them teach yourself to setup things like Active Directory, DNS, etc all from scratch. You seriously don't need any special labs to do this, just google some documentation and fuck about with the servers. If you fuck it up just delete the servers and start again!

This is a very quick, cheap and easy way to get some servers going. You don't need to download ISO's you don't need a powerful or new computer. You will also gain skills on how setup some cloud stuff too.

Last edited by Diode; 20th March 2017 at 5:24 AM.
Old 20th March 2017, 6:55 AM   #223
Foliage

Azure is a great way to get an environment up and running in no time at all.
Old 20th March 2017, 9:49 AM   #224
Dilbery

Out of curiosity, what is OP's current job? (Not sure if answered, I know it was asked)
PC: i5 6500 / ASRock H170M Pro4 / Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 / EVGA GTX1070FE / 1x256gb Samsung 850 M.2 SSD 1x250gb Crucial MX200 SSD 1xSamsung 1tb HDD/ Silverstone TJ08-E / 850w Silverstone Strider+ PSU /
Old 20th March 2017, 10:11 AM   #225
Foliage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilbery View Post
Out of curiosity, what is OP's current job? (Not sure if answered, I know it was asked)
He posted it up.

Quote:
Actually it's been 19 years since I've touched my resume!

It's a catch 22.

Plus if I resign I toss away quite a decent payout.
All I'm hearing is excuses. Do you have kids? If not you have plenty of spare time. I work full time and I started a new software company in my spare time that I'm launching, probably spent 1000 hours in the last 6 months working on it on week nights and weekends. I also applied for 5 jobs this year as well. You can fit in another 40 hours on top of your work if you are motivated along with a social life a girl friend and looking after house maintenance.

I managed 1000 hours of learning in my own time, applied for jobs, kept my resume up to date, worked full time. On top of work I replaced my own fence, kept up gym twice a week, planted an entire garden in a new house, got a new cat, still had a social life and went to 5 weddings and had my 30th all in the last 6 months. You can do all of these things if you make the effort, once you start the motivation will grow as you win small successes.

Eg each time I got demotivated I started learning some new area that needed to be done, I would chip away at it and once I got it working I would get a buzz that would keep me going for another few weeks. After 6 months looking back at all the things you've learnt you will feel very proud and have an ego boost. This ego boost is what you can then take into an interview with yourself as you will genuinely be proud of what you have learnt. You need to start somewhere.

Sign up for a free azure account and start provisioning servers, you get $300 of credit and 1 months free. You can do a lot in those 30 days. Once you do that voila now you can legitimately say you have experience with the latest and greatest MS stuff. You can even do linux servers as well if you want to go that path. Sure you won't be an expert but you can say you have experience without lying now.

Next step write a new resume and start applying for 5 jobs a week min. Who cares about the payout if you can get a 50% pay rise. Stop making excuses and start learning and start applying asap. This whole thread is just you procrastinating.

START DOING SOMETHING.

Last edited by Foliage; 20th March 2017 at 10:27 AM.
Closed Thread