Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Business & Enterprise Computing

Notices

Search our forums with Google:
Closed Thread

Old 20th March 2017, 2:56 PM   #241
millsy_c

With the power in home PC's and cloud stuff I'll never get the need of a lab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch01 View Post
Missing the point as usual.

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 20th March 2017, 3:05 PM   #242
PsydFX

Quote:
Originally Posted by millsy_c View Post

It really depends on the nature of the environment, and the expected workloads.
Old 20th March 2017, 3:06 PM   #243
Shags

Quote:
These days they are just an excuse to give yourself procrastinate - not having a ago at the op - speaking from personal experience. - they were the reason I out off my ccna/mcitp - then I booked the exams forcing myself to study and not once did I miss having physical hardware
Old 20th March 2017, 3:09 PM   #244
millsy_c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shags View Post
These days they are just an excuse to give yourself procrastinate - not having a ago at the op - speaking from personal experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsydFX View Post
It really depends on the nature of the environment, and the expected workloads.
Naturally, but for most 'lab' requirements it really isn't that cpu/ram/disk intensive. I wanted to practice with some 2012r2 stuff and domain joining a Linux box, I was able to run a 2012r2 server, two win10 clients and a Linux vm, all on my ultrabook with a i7 4600u, 8gb ram. Not going to say it was crazy responsive, hell I could have done it in the cloud if I wanted, but it was definitely doable if you care enough to try.

Like I had a 10 drive SCSI 10k setup a few years ago which was pretty baller for the time, an SSD these days is just as good if not better depending on the workload.

You can setup a server 2016 box for free for a 180day trial, win10 pro clients for free (hell all the way back to 7) with the MS IE Testing VM's, you have a world of cool in the cloud for bugger all cost if you need more power. Get a second hand pc from the forums, pop Linux on it if you can't afford windows, use virtualbox, go crazy.
Quote:

Last edited by millsy_c; 20th March 2017 at 3:12 PM.
Old 20th March 2017, 3:22 PM   #245
PsydFX

Quote:
Naturally, but for most 'lab' requirements it really isn't that cpu/ram/disk intensive. I wanted to practice with some 2012r2 stuff and domain joining a Linux box, I was able to run a 2012r2 server, two win10 clients and a Linux vm, all on my ultrabook with a i7 4600u, 8gb ram. Not going to say it was crazy responsive, hell I could have done it in the cloud if I wanted, but it was definitely doable if you care enough to try.

Like I had a 10 drive SCSI 10k setup a few years ago which was pretty baller for the time, an SSD these days is just as good if not better depending on the workload.

You can setup a server 2016 box for free for a 180day trial, win10 pro clients for free (hell all the way back to 7) with the MS IE Testing VM's, you have a world of cool in the cloud for bugger all cost if you need more power. Get a second hand pc from the forums, pop Linux on it if you can't afford windows, use virtualbox, go crazy.
My environment for all intents and purposes is more like a production environment. Multiple Domain Controllers with distributed roles, a range of operating systems and applications, and reasonably consistent database loads.

If I was just spinning up VMs every now and then for menial testing, I would look at other options.
Old 20th March 2017, 3:27 PM   #246
millsy_c

Quote:
My environment for all intents and purposes is more like a production environment. Multiple Domain Controllers with distributed roles, a range of operating systems and applications, and reasonably consistent database loads.

If I was just spinning up VMs every now and then for menial testing, I would look at other options.
This thread is about reskilling though, which I don't think is quite so demanding Obviously what I said isn't a one size fits all statement.
Quote:
Old 20th March 2017, 3:39 PM   #247
tree86ers

Quote:
This thread is about reskilling though, which I don't think is quite so demanding Obviously what I said isn't a one size fits all statement.
the thing is i think reskilling is not the right way to look at it either, it is just gaining more skills in IT. often the skills you forget are the ones you dont use everyday. 5 years ago most issues with Mac OSX 10.4 to 10.7 i could give you a list of things to do. Now days it would involve 10 min of googling before doing anything.
In my experience actively doing what i am learning is where I gain the most.
that being said there are things i have learned from the early call center days that i still use every day. Troubleshooting procedure is something that can be applied almost everywhere in IT.
Old 20th March 2017, 3:48 PM   #248
millsy_c

Agreed, but the notion of a lab is for a lot of situations, unnecessary. As you say stuff you don't use day to day you tend to forget, not much you can do with that outside of learning.
But the procedural stuff, that's important, and learning that for various platforms via %educational mechanism% is very important
Quote:
Old 20th March 2017, 3:57 PM   #249
PsydFX

Quote:
Reskilling is going to require a holistic approach, and there are far more skills to be gained from the day to day running of an environment, compared to running up single VM for the purpose of passing certification.

Quote:
Agreed, but the notion of a lab is for a lot of situations, unnecessary. As you say stuff you don't use day to day you tend to forget, not much you can do with that outside of learning.
But the procedural stuff, that's important, and learning that for various platforms via %educational mechanism% is very important
A lab that is run more like a production environment provides the opportunity to regularly apply knowledge and concepts learnt.
Old 20th March 2017, 4:03 PM   #250
elvis
Old school old fool

Quote:
So without trying to sound like an old fart, back when I was a young lad, a "home lab" meant you went dumpster diving for computers so you could make yourself a network to test shit. Because computers were insanely expensive (as in, $3K was your average bare bones low end desktop), and desktop virtualisation didn't exist.

Honestly, between open source software, online resources, free versions of educational stuff, the low cost of hardware and and virtualisation, self-taught learning is now an absolute piece of cake.

I can't even begin to sympathise with anyone who says it's too hard to spin up a home lab in 2017.
Old 20th March 2017, 4:07 PM   #251
sic_vl2000

Interesting to see everyones thoughts and opinions.

Last year I left my job of nearly 5 years due to lack of progression, the only way for me was to move to perth if i wanted to progress with the company, I ended up going to a IT role in a small business. Wow that was different, going from supporting over 1000+ staff remotely to less than 50, I quickly found I didn't enjoy the role and have gone back to a corporate IT role and have been loving it ever since.

I guess with me, I did my studies back close near 10 years ago. Now, I've just purchased a second hand server of which I'm upgrading as I go as well as a Cisco switch. I'm slowly building that up but then will be using it as my tool of study for my 2012R2 certifications, throw in SCCM as well which I get some exposure at work but not a lot. On top of that I'm trying to do more with PowerShell and O365. It may be a slow road, but I will get into the infrastructure role that I'm aiming for.
Old 20th March 2017, 4:25 PM   #252
millsy_c

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis View Post
So without trying to sound like an old fart, back when I was a young lad, a "home lab" meant you went dumpster diving for computers so you could make yourself a network to test shit. Because computers were insanely expensive (as in, $3K was your average bare bones low end desktop), and desktop virtualisation didn't exist.

Honestly, between open source software, online resources, free versions of educational stuff, the low cost of hardware and and virtualisation, self-taught learning is now an absolute piece of cake.

I can't even begin to sympathise with anyone who says it's too hard to spin up a home lab in 2017.
I picked up a super duper ex server rack KVM controller for free for that purpose, right as virtualisation came into vogue. Probably not a coincidence it was free
Just to be clear I take no issue whatsoever with having a home lab, but it's not a necessary stepping point
Quote:
Old 20th March 2017, 4:30 PM   #253
PsydFX

Quote:
Just to be clear I take no issue whatsoever with having a home lab, but it's not a necessary stepping point
So, in the absence of an environment to apply practical skills, what do you recommend?
Old 20th March 2017, 4:36 PM   #254
millsy_c

Quote:
So, in the absence of an environment to apply practical skills, what do you recommend?
You misunderstand me, as I said, a standard gaming PC with virtual box or an amazon / azure environment is plenty. I heartily reject the notion that someone looking to learn new skills needs a beefy home lab, especially when for all intents and purposes when you're learning, xeon + ecc etc doesn't really change much

Not too many orgs run on bare metal these days so you'll forgive me for abstracting it a bit.

If you want to simulate a whole server rack with networking gear and attached storage devices (which is what you seem to be on the track of) that's a different story and far outside the realm of what OP was asking anyway.

*edit*
Just saw this thread.
http://forums.overclockers.com.au/sh....php?t=1217617
Quote:

Last edited by millsy_c; 20th March 2017 at 4:47 PM.
Old 20th March 2017, 4:55 PM   #255
PsydFX

Quote:
You misunderstand me, as I said, a standard gaming PC with virtual box or an amazon / azure environment is plenty. I heartily reject the notion that someone looking to learn new skills needs a beefy home lab, especially when for all intents and purposes when you're learning, xeon + ecc etc doesn't really change much
I'm not saying it can't be done on consumer hardware, but in the context of the OP, it would be beneficial to have a more complete environment.

Quote:
Not too many orgs run on bare metal these days so you'll forgive me for abstracting it a bit.
We clearly work in different environments.

Quote:
If you want to simulate a whole server rack with networking gear and attached storage devices that's a different story and far outside the realm of what OP was asking anyway.
No one is suggesting that.
Closed Thread