Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > General Topics > Troubleshooting Help

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 12th March 2017, 8:46 AM   #1
KoNpHuSeD Thread Starter

Default Graphics card doesn't run 100%, always need to reboot PC

I have had this problem since building my PC. Every time I cold boot the PC the graphics card will not work properly, at like ~20% speed.

Online videos like youtube will glitch and are pixelated, games run extremely slow, but using Windows in general is fine. Once I reboot the graphics card works normally.

The CPU integrated graphics has been disabled in the BIOS.
My CPU and graphics cards have never been overclocked.

I've tried changing the 3D settings Power management mode from Optimal power to Prefer maximum performance, but in both modes the problem persists.

Please provide a solution, thank you.

Intel Core i5 4690K
Gigabyte Z97MX-Gaming 5
MSI GeForce GTX 960 2GB- 378.78 driver
Microsoft Windows 10 Professional 64-bit (Build 14393)
Kingston HyperX FURY 1866MHz CL10 DDR3 8GB
SanDisk Ultra II 480GB SSD
Thermaltake Toughpower Gold 650W
KoNpHuSeD is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 12th March 2017, 12:05 PM   #2
Matthew kane

Sounds like a dying graphics card hence the artefacting and system hangs when you do anything involving the GPU processor, forcing you to restart.

Either dying card or try a different nvidia driver. Do a clean installation via nvidia driver setup.
Intel i7 3960X @ 4.7GHZ - Noctua NH-D14 | 16GB OCZ Platinum Series DDR3 1600MHZ | Asus Rampage IV Extreme (4901 bios) | 2 x Leadtek GTX680 4GB | PNY GTX465 unlocked to 470 (Physx) | Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatality Pro with LME47920's opamps | OCZ Vertex 3 240GB | OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB| 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Green, 4 x 2TB Seagate LP | Enermax Revolution 85+ 1250watt | Antec P280 + Veris Elite | LG BD Rewriter
Matthew kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2017, 1:12 PM   #3
KoNpHuSeD Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. The graphics card will not have any problems once I restart. I can game for hours without issue. The system does not hang, I'm not forced into a restart. I can keep using the PC, but of course with the graphics card at ~20% speed. I restart to make the graphics card work properly again. I've done a clean install with graphics driver before.
Old 12th March 2017, 2:36 PM   #4
O-B-E-L-I-X

Update the BIOS on the M/B, see if there is any BIOS update for the GFX card.

Test the card on another system, maybe fresh Windows install...
Flux, Haillion, Xinhua, evo800v, hendot, metho_man, rps, Jonbanez, stergiopilus, bjornzzz, baby_ute, slyls1, Error-prone, chronisis, spud42, bennyling , Southead, falun, Smashedcrab, finnigan, jyjf, tangcla, merlin13, Deus_Ex_Machina, hen84, Spada, pepsimax, cheozuka, colcha, rippi, OsamaBinAthlon, kenneth, tek_01, Franc, Sleepy Dude, theological
O-B-E-L-I-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2017, 4:41 PM   #5
KoNpHuSeD Thread Starter

Updated motherboard BIOS a while ago, no updates for graphics card.

If I had another system to test graphics card that would be good.

Fresh windows install would be the last ditch effort.
Old 12th March 2017, 6:17 PM   #6
Matthew kane

Would be great if you could swap card into another system as possible culprits could be drivers, psu, mobo and/or card itself.
Intel i7 3960X @ 4.7GHZ - Noctua NH-D14 | 16GB OCZ Platinum Series DDR3 1600MHZ | Asus Rampage IV Extreme (4901 bios) | 2 x Leadtek GTX680 4GB | PNY GTX465 unlocked to 470 (Physx) | Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatality Pro with LME47920's opamps | OCZ Vertex 3 240GB | OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB| 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Green, 4 x 2TB Seagate LP | Enermax Revolution 85+ 1250watt | Antec P280 + Veris Elite | LG BD Rewriter
Matthew kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2017, 7:53 PM   #7
mareke

Like Matthew kane my first thought was that it could be early signs of the card dying but I was reluctant to suggest it because it's a current model card. I had a graphics card that sometimes took a couple of boots to work properly. It was because the caps weren't holding voltage properly until the card warmed up. You would think that the card in question isn't old enough to have an issue like that but it's possible. Eventually my card wouldn't work at all & because the computer was really old I couldn't buy another equivalent card so I tried replacing the caps & it didn't work. I then bought another much less powerful card & it's still working in my old computer. I'd probably just keep restarting the computer and monitor the card to see if the problem gets worse and if it does then replace it. Either that or buy another card and keep the faulty one as a spare. At least unlike in my case the motherboard has onboard graphics to switch to if needed.

Last edited by mareke; 12th March 2017 at 8:14 PM.
mareke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2017, 9:27 PM   #8
KoNpHuSeD Thread Starter

What has become routine is after powering on my PC I immediately reboot. I then run the 3D benchmark program Valley Benchmark to check my video card is running full speed. I'm lucky with the SSD it doesn't take long to reboot.