Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > General Topics > Troubleshooting Help

Notices


Sign up for a free OCAU account and this ad will go away!
Search our forums with Google:
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 14th March 2017, 8:26 AM   #1
Ravennoir Thread Starter
Member
 
Ravennoir's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 6,035
Default Files Corrupted on External HDD

Hey Everyone,

My wife has a portable HDD she uses for work stuff and last week she said she couldnt open the files on her work computer, I figured there was something wrong with the work PC cause they arent well looked after.

Anyway, over the weekend, we tried it on her home PC and the save error occured

Quote:
excel cannot open the file because the file format or file extension is not valid. verify the file has not been corrupted and that the file extension matches the format of the file
I tried other files (Word, Powerpoint, Images etc) and get similar errors

I have tried doing a repair from within office and still unable to open them

I have also tried a chkdsk /R, but it didnt seem to help

Anyone know a way to fix these ?
__________________
Desktop - i7-4790K - ASUS Maximus Hero VII - 32GB Kingston HyperX 1333Mhz - Gigabyte GTX980 G1 Gaming - Thermaltake Core X5 - Corsair AX860i - Dell U3014
Laptop - Alienware 17 R2 - i7-4710HQ - 16Gb DDR3 - GTX-970M - Server - HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 - Xeon E3-1230 - 16Gb DDR3
PSN ID : Ravennoir - BattleTag : Ravennoir#1705
Ravennoir is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 14th March 2017, 8:37 AM   #2
mareke
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Sydney, NSW
Posts: 6,649
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravennoir View Post
Hey Everyone,

My wife has a portable HDD she uses for work stuff and last week she said she couldnt open the files on her work computer, I figured there was something wrong with the work PC cause they arent well looked after.

Anyway, over the weekend, we tried it on her home PC and the save error occured



I tried other files (Word, Powerpoint, Images etc) and get similar errors

I have tried doing a repair from within office and still unable to open them

I have also tried a chkdsk /R, but it didnt seem to help

Anyone know a way to fix these ?
In File Explorer go to Tools/Folder Options/View and untick the box 'Hide extensions for known file types' to see the file extensions and find out whether your wife picked up a ransomware virus that encrypted all her files.
mareke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2017, 9:55 AM   #3
Ravennoir Thread Starter
Member
 
Ravennoir's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 6,035
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mareke View Post
In File Explorer go to Tools/Folder Options/View and untick the box 'Hide extensions for known file types' to see the file extensions and find out whether your wife picked up a ransomware virus that encrypted all her files.
I can confirm that hasnt happen, Ive seen what that stuff does from users at work and this isnt like that

I have also scanned the drive and not found anything
__________________
Desktop - i7-4790K - ASUS Maximus Hero VII - 32GB Kingston HyperX 1333Mhz - Gigabyte GTX980 G1 Gaming - Thermaltake Core X5 - Corsair AX860i - Dell U3014
Laptop - Alienware 17 R2 - i7-4710HQ - 16Gb DDR3 - GTX-970M - Server - HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 - Xeon E3-1230 - 16Gb DDR3
PSN ID : Ravennoir - BattleTag : Ravennoir#1705
Ravennoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2017, 10:14 AM   #4
mareke
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Sydney, NSW
Posts: 6,649
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravennoir View Post
I can confirm that hasnt happen, Ive seen what that stuff does from users at work and this isnt like that

I have also scanned the drive and not found anything
So the file extensions are the normal ones you'd expect to see but the files won't open and using check disk doesn't find any errors? Weird.

Does Office open files not on the portable hard disk? If it does then it would suggest that Office isn't corrupted. To check if the problem is specific to the portable hard disk copy the files to another disk and see if the files open. Try installing CrystalDisk to see if it reports a problem with the portable hard disk.
mareke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2017, 10:47 AM   #5
Ravennoir Thread Starter
Member
 
Ravennoir's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 6,035
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mareke View Post
So the file extensions are the normal ones you'd expect to see but the files won't open and using check disk doesn't find any errors? Weird.

Does Office open files not on the portable hard disk? If it does then it would suggest that Office isn't corrupted. To check if the problem is specific to the portable hard disk copy the files to another disk and see if the files open. Try installing CrystalDisk to see if it reports a problem with the portable hard disk.
Office works fine for other files

If I copy the files off the disk they still error

Will try out CrystalDisk
__________________
Desktop - i7-4790K - ASUS Maximus Hero VII - 32GB Kingston HyperX 1333Mhz - Gigabyte GTX980 G1 Gaming - Thermaltake Core X5 - Corsair AX860i - Dell U3014
Laptop - Alienware 17 R2 - i7-4710HQ - 16Gb DDR3 - GTX-970M - Server - HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 - Xeon E3-1230 - 16Gb DDR3
PSN ID : Ravennoir - BattleTag : Ravennoir#1705
Ravennoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2017, 9:24 PM   #6
Ravennoir Thread Starter
Member
 
Ravennoir's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 6,035
Default

Ok, so it turn out it was a Crypto, its called SPORA RANSOMWARE

This how it was infected

http://thehackernews.com/2017/02/Hoe...nt-chrome.html

In the process of working out if I can recover now
__________________
Desktop - i7-4790K - ASUS Maximus Hero VII - 32GB Kingston HyperX 1333Mhz - Gigabyte GTX980 G1 Gaming - Thermaltake Core X5 - Corsair AX860i - Dell U3014
Laptop - Alienware 17 R2 - i7-4710HQ - 16Gb DDR3 - GTX-970M - Server - HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 - Xeon E3-1230 - 16Gb DDR3
PSN ID : Ravennoir - BattleTag : Ravennoir#1705
Ravennoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Sign up for a free OCAU account and this ad will go away!

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 12:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
OCAU is not responsible for the content of individual messages posted by others.
Other content copyright Overclockers Australia.
OCAU is hosted by Micron21!