Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Software Topics > Windows Operating Systems

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 19th March 2017, 10:58 AM   #1
NSanity Thread Starter

Default Windows 10 Creator Update bringing ads to File Explorer...

So before you get a little mad, hit up your Folder Options and untick this box.

(yes, its here now)

Now discuss Windows as a Service.

FWIW, I'm pretty furious about this. At this point i'd just like to know who and how do i pay for stuff like this to not appear to me as a professional user.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/c...r_onedrive_in/
https://thenextweb.com/apps/2017/03/...turn-them-off/

I guess its true.

If you didn't pay for something, you're the product.

Last edited by NSanity; 19th March 2017 at 11:08 AM.
NSanity is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 19th March 2017, 5:01 PM   #2
Smokin Whale

I'm going to send out a mass email of this to my customers. Ads in the file explorer are pretty damn intrusive.
Old 20th March 2017, 4:00 PM   #3
elvis
Old school old fool

Yes, yeeees, let the hate flow through you!
Old 20th March 2017, 4:03 PM   #4
martini.txt

I use fedora and freenas at home now... my main gaming/editing rig is the only one left with windows

I'd be fine with MS releasing a freemium version of windows with a paid unlock for "pro" to get rid of all the dumb shit
Micro - HP N40L w/ Ubuntu, Sickrage, Plex, Deluge
Garage - Honda Hornet 900 & Fiesta ST & BF XR6 Turbo
martini.txt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2017, 4:08 PM   #5
power

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis View Post
ads are the best, every OS should include them.
Old 20th March 2017, 8:52 PM   #6
breno

Quote:
Originally Posted by martini.txt View Post
I use fedora and freenas at home now... my main gaming/editing rig is the only one left with windows

I'd be fine with MS releasing a freemium version of windows with a paid unlock for "pro" to get rid of all the dumb shit
There's an idea, have a paid version without all the dumb shit.
[Logitech 'G' Owners Club Member #785]
Now is the time for repentance...
As we face distress we must not lose hope and press on, TRIUMPH AWAITS!
breno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2017, 9:41 PM   #7
power

Quote:
Originally Posted by breno View Post
There's an idea, have a paid version without all the dumb shit.
Why sell a version without ads when you already sell a version with them? Don't you want to subscribe to skydive or office 365, are you sure you don't? Really? I mean come on its cheap right now. Are you sure you don't want office 365? Surely you want One Drive right? Subscribe to office 365!

It's so cheap right now don't you want office 365?

This is Windows 10 you fucking asked for it.
Old 21st March 2017, 12:12 AM   #8
ni9ht_5ta1k3r

i just want the game boost!
XBOX Live: The Gh0sts | Steam: Th3_Gh0sts | PSN: TheGhosts (AU) - TheGh0sts_CA (CA) | Origin: Th3_Gh0sts - RSSC: Chillawhat | UPlay: spartan33 | Battle.Net: Th3Gh0sts#1131
Current PC: Metabox Prime-X P870DM-G with a GTX 1070N GPU
My Web & Graphic Design Portfolio | My EBay Listings | Overwatch Vids
ni9ht_5ta1k3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2017, 8:34 AM   #9
MR CHILLED
D'oh!

Obviously it's time to unpack windows XP again : )
Old 21st March 2017, 8:36 AM   #10
mr626

Microsoft are making it pretty clear who owns the computer now. Hint- it isn't you.

I've already converted a few friends / family to Ubuntu or Mint, looks like there will be more.

Edit: has also prompted me to start looking for Windows Explorer drop-in replacements. Something I haven't thought about for years.

Last edited by mr626; 21st March 2017 at 9:04 AM.
mr626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2017, 9:03 AM   #11
elvis
Old school old fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr626 View Post
Microsoft are making it pretty clear who owns the computer now.
It's been very clear for years.

Interesting factoid time. If you take a frog, and you throw it in boiling water, the frog will panic and jump out, obviously in a bid for self-preservation. If you take a frog, put it in room temperature water, it'll sit there happily. If you slowly raise the temperature of the water by a degree every few minutes, the frog won't notice the gradual change, and eventually you can boil the frog to death.

Microsoft has been "boiling the frog" with users for a long time. And it's not just them. Look at how people freaked out about privacy concerns in decades gone buy, and then today folks willingly broadcast their personal lives on every social media platform there is.

Back when people first started questioning Microsoft and similar companies, they were all called names - tin foil hat wearing paranoid types. Use an open source operating system in the early 2000s, and you were some weird Richard Stallman esque hippy who just wanted to be contrary and cause a fuss.

It's pretty amusing today to see everyone up in arms at what was a so painfully obvious future a mere 10 years ago. From my point of view at least, the schadenfreude is off the charts, as is the "I told you so" factor.

My own arseholeness aside, there are competent alternatives out there. People are *still* baulking at them, and for stupid reasons. But they exist, and right now everyone has to sit down and have a real hard think about what they want to compromise when they use a computer. Either you get all of Microsoft, or none of them [1], and that's a hard choice you have to make in your personal computing.

[1] And to be fair - Office365 means you can have a little bit of them in a browser if you still can't go cold turkey, and need that last hit of smack just to get you through the tough times.
Old 21st March 2017, 9:18 AM   #12
mr626

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis View Post
It's been very clear for years.

Interesting factoid time. If you take a frog, and you throw it in boiling water, the frog will panic and jump out, obviously in a bid for self-preservation. If you take a frog, put it in room temperature water, it'll sit there happily. If you slowly raise the temperature of the water by a degree every few minutes, the frog won't notice the gradual change, and eventually you can boil the frog to death.

Microsoft has been "boiling the frog" with users for a long time. And it's not just them. Look at how people freaked out about privacy concerns in decades gone buy, and then today folks willingly broadcast their personal lives on every social media platform there is.

Back when people first started questioning Microsoft and similar companies, they were all called names - tin foil hat wearing paranoid types. Use an open source operating system in the early 2000s, and you were some weird Richard Stallman esque hippy who just wanted to be contrary and cause a fuss.

It's pretty amusing today to see everyone up in arms at what was a so painfully obvious future a mere 10 years ago. From my point of view at least, the schadenfreude is off the charts, as is the "I told you so" factor.

My own arseholeness aside, there are competent alternatives out there. People are *still* baulking at them, and for stupid reasons. But they exist, and right now everyone has to sit down and have a real hard think about what they want to compromise when they use a computer. Either you get all of Microsoft, or none of them [1], and that's a hard choice you have to make in your personal computing.

[1] And to be fair - Office365 means you can have a little bit of them in a browser if you still can't go cold turkey, and need that last hit of smack just to get you through the tough times.
The existence of alternatives is what keeps me from giving up hope altogether. Linux for me has grown from a weird hobby to something I earn a living from, and can even play (some) games on Just need to get more game companies to ditch Direct X for Vulcan and I'll be happy.

PS, the frog in boiling water thing is a myth apparently. But point taken.
mr626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2017, 9:43 AM   #13
power

Just the users elvis?

The entire IT industry is slowly getting boiled and they are jumping in hook line and sinker. MS have a very clear agenda they want to be the IT dept of the planet.
Old 21st March 2017, 10:41 AM   #14
elvis
Old school old fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by power View Post
Just the users elvis?

The entire IT industry is slowly getting boiled and they are jumping in hook line and sinker. MS have a very clear agenda they want to be the IT dept of the planet.
Again, not just Microsoft. Everyone wants to outsource everything all the time, with a few hold outs who will eventually be consumed.

And if it's not to cheaper developing nation labour, it will ultimately be to AI.

So everyone needs to make their choices today about what they want to retain control of. Or don't, and bitch that they're getting ads in your file explorer because they just went with the flow.
Old 21st March 2017, 11:26 AM   #15
Smokin Whale

Elvis, if it makes you feel any better, we have sold a record number of Linux computers this year. I too dislike what MS is doing. Saying that, Windows obviously has its place.