Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > General Topics > Troubleshooting Help

Notices

Old 20th March 2017, 6:34 PM   #1
MonoJoker Thread Starter

Default Slow bootup and high pitched whistle issues

Hi All,

Home PC has been booting slowly for quite a while. I've never really bothered about it as I usually turn it on, walk away and come back to use it later. But it has an SSD and when first installed it took about 10-15 seconds to bootup. Now it takes upwards of 60 seconds. Interestingly if I click to browse the D: drive for the first time in a Windows session it hesitates for quite a while and you hear the disk "spin up" while it does so - 10-15 seconds later, up comes the contents list in Explorer. The disc model is HGST Deskstar 7K1000.C HDS721010CLA332 - hard drive - 1 TB - SATA-300 Series if that helps. The Samsung drive labelled E: spins up instantly and opens browse in contrast. I have one network drive to the NAS connected but it browses instantly as well when opened.

PC details here:

Click to view full size!

Any suggestions or ways I can begin to troubleshoot?

Also - only started in the last week or so - when the PC is powered on at the wall it makes a really high pitched constant tone (quiet whistle is the best way to describe it). If I turn the PSU off using it's switch it makes a sound like "winding down" quickly then stops. I've tried unplugging power into each device while PSU is on but PC is off, doesn't change. The pitch of the noise changed a couple of times as I moved the mainboard power harness wires to reach into the PC. The noise is there when the PC is running as well. Any ideas on this or where to start troubleshooting?

Thanks.

Last edited by MonoJoker; 26th March 2017 at 8:50 PM.
MonoJoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2017, 8:54 PM   #2
MonoJoker Thread Starter

Ok so I did some googling assuming my questions were too hard or too obvious I hadn't done enough troubleshooting myself

Found errors in event viewer system log about Hdd 0/something having bad reads. Disconnected said hdd (the slow hitachi death star d drive?) and the system won't boot into windows - says to insert bootable media. Lol since my ssd is the boot drive. So I'm guessing the d drive has a boot sector on it?

Anyway onto the bigger issue. Found some discussion of the high pitched whistle online and one solution indicated turning off 'overspeed protection'(?) in the bios which I did. Now it won't boot - doesn't bios beep, monitor doesn't turn on and it restarts itself about every 20 seconds. So I reset the cmos twice using the jumper but still no boot. Have reseated ram, all hdds video card, etc.

Hopefully someone has a suggestion on what to try next please?
Old 22nd March 2017, 11:14 PM   #3
pwlm1975

Can you get into the BIOS at all? Take out all components except CPU, one stick of RAM and the SSD boot drive and have a look at your boot priorities in the BIOS. It could also be a dead CMOS battery which can do funky things to a PC, believe it or not (from my own experience with a 3570K on an ASRock motherboard).
Old 26th March 2017, 8:50 PM   #4
MonoJoker Thread Starter

OK so I got serious, pulled the PC down to components and started replacing one by one. I made the assumption the whistle was a cap in the PSU and took the opportunity while near an MSY to grab a new Corsair. Fixed - thankfully I really didn't want to find it was a mobo cap or something...

Strangely enough, resetting the BIOS (again) and booting with just the SSD was successful. So I kept adding components until it failed again. And it was the Samsung 2TB drive having the issues and causing slow boot. Unfortunately I can't read from that disk at all but it was a secondary backup drive - before the data goes to the NAS so nothing lost - an excuse to get myself an external 2TB for backing up which is probably better anyway.