Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Software Topics > PC Games > MMOs

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 6th July 2004, 4:40 PM   #31
Borgod

Very much so.

The expanse and depth of Eve is amazing.

- Coldstream Guards -
Borgod is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 7th July 2004, 9:56 AM   #32
virtvirt

2 hours, hooked.
virtvirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2004, 10:13 AM   #33
Mickoeus

I dont think this has been directly mentioned yet, but there is a link to a 14 day trial on the eve website.

Anyway, In game i am Timmah Kyle (Reading this thread i actually recognise some of the ingame names that have been mentioned) and I've been playing eve for about 6 weeks, I am upto around 800k skill points. I am in a small corp of mostly europeans so i will probably find a new corp in the coming weeks.

Also there is an in game channel called "anzac" which obviously a number of aussies use.

Last edited by Mickoeus; 7th July 2004 at 10:17 AM.
Mickoeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2004, 10:34 AM   #34
virtvirt

Ark Veniris here
Old 7th July 2004, 10:55 AM   #35
Borgod

Borgonaheim

800k skill points is damn impressive... im just about to hit my 3rd week - about 300k skill points.
Finally found myself a good corp that is very active - just need to equip myself so Im somewhat prepared to venture into 0.0 space.

Being podded isnt nice.. as Ive already discovered... heh

- Coldstream Guards -
Borgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2004, 1:47 PM   #36
mattah

I'm at about 2.7 mil skill points.

Had a race last night with a friend. Got my Rupture up to 45km/s .. not for long though. I could cruise at 24km/s for quite a while though.
Meanwhile, the LORD instructed one of the group of prophets to say to another man, "Strike me!" But the man refused to strike the prophet. Then the prophet told him, "Because you have not obeyed the voice of the LORD, a lion will kill you as soon as you leave me." And sure enough, when he had gone, a lion attacked and killed him.
(1 Kings 20:35-36 NLT)

Last edited by mattah; 7th July 2004 at 1:47 PM.
mattah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2004, 1:53 PM   #37
dcunneen

heh that's one fast rupture

I finally got my Omen a week or 2 ago, it's fun but I'm discovering the woes of a small powercore I can't run any decent long-range weaponry as well as afterburners or shield boosters. It's good for mining though... but I was hoping to give up mining for a while!
dcunneen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2004, 8:23 PM   #38
virtvirt

industrial class frigate here i come!!

anybody playing and has msn pm me if u want to help a noob or just have an extra friend online, i'm playing like 7 hours a day so i'm always open for a chat
Old 7th July 2004, 9:10 PM   #39
groundfisher

As a former player, let me say to anyone who is thinking of playing: do yourself a favour and download the client (a small download for a mmorpg at under 500mb) and sign up for a free 14 day trial.

You should be able to download it 'for free' - that is, one of the ISPs in your state should be hosting a download. W.A. folks get it here.

If the EVE Online website isn't offering a 14 day trial, you should still be able to get one from www.mmorpg.com

I quit the game in January with nearly 7mil skillpoints. It's a superb game - well worth the money.

Just don't let anyone tell you that you have to mine in the beginning - I just completed a 14 day trial and without playing everyday I just about managed to get myself into a cruiser without mining at all.

Anyway, give it a shot and joining STK after a while would be a good idea, since there are great benefits to living in 0.0 unpoliced space, not to mention teaming up with other Aussies.

/end rant
groundfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2004, 10:12 PM   #40
Shawry

i just downloaded the 14 trial and im just sitting back doing some mining. Not really sure what else to do!
Shawry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2004, 10:26 PM   #41
dcunneen

Quote:
Originally posted by Shawry
i just downloaded the 14 trial and im just sitting back doing some mining. Not really sure what else to do!
If you persevere doing missions for the agents (starting with your tutorial agent), you'll eventually make a decent profit, and it's far more interesting than mining. Do some pirate hunting in 0.8 and 0.7 systems, all you need is a frigate with a couple of guns and a shield booster

I made 700k or so in my first frigate (tormentor) with a lucrative in-system trade route I happened to find. Do some serious perusing of the trade goods supply/demand and see if you can spot a profit making opportunity. The problem with doing this is you'll need some starting capital and/or plenty of cargo space.

Ingratiate yourself with some random corp, and join some corp mining operations... usually more lucrative than solo. Or you can persuade people in your starting corp to join you.

Or with basic science/industry skills you can start learning the research & manufacture side of things... this is something I never explored very much, but huge profits can be made early on if you know how!

And if you haven't already, read the articles at www.eve-i.com and have a browse of the ingame forums at http://myeve.eve-online.com/ingameboard.asp - lots of interesting stuff is always happening.

Last edited by dcunneen; 7th July 2004 at 10:27 PM.
dcunneen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2004, 7:01 PM   #42
chewbacca

Well I've gotten back into this game. Theres been some nice changes since I last played in Oct 03. Anyway going to solo it for awhile but would love to join an Aussie corp in the near future

Also just noticed that theres some buddy program that allows members to send a 7day trial to someone (no need to use credit card to use it either). May seem kinda useless now as theres still that 14day trial available but when that runs out if anyone wants a 7day trial feel free to ask here
chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2004, 8:11 AM   #43
Mickoeus

Damn, 45k/s thats sweet.

Also if your going to do agent missions make sure to get your social skill and connection skill up. This makes quite a big difference to your standing which allows you to get to level 2, then level 3 agents faster.

And on a side note: I just got my first implant! (+1 to charisma from a lvl 2 agent). Just gotta decide if I should use it or escrow it.
Mickoeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2004, 8:34 AM   #44
Sheriff

Just trying the 14 day trial now and seems to be great fun, is it possible to purchase a key and continue my account once my 14 day trial is up?.

Known as Drakescale
Sheriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2004, 8:57 AM   #45
cuahtemoc

If any of you guys are looking for a corp, VTIL (my corp) are looking for pilots for an australian/european combat wing. You dont have to be well advanced to join, just into the game. If you're interested, drop sleyha an eve-mail. Tell him Bruja sent you