Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Software Topics > PC Games > MMOs

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 13th September 2004, 1:25 PM   #61
Borgod

I think the Buddy Program still exists, but Im afraid I wouldnt be any good just because I dont really have time plus the fact you wouldnt be safe around where we are based. You'd be shot down in your first day and be very discouraged.

Try and find someone who is based in safer space (0.0 is extremely unsafe, 1.0 is very safe) and willing to help you learn the ropes.

- Coldstream Guards -
Borgod is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 13th September 2004, 1:27 PM   #62
Spamcake

I played this game when it was released for about 3 months and ended up quitting for two reasons.

As a noob, the quickest way to make money was to mine, and I found the huge amounts of mining and travelling through space extremely tedious. And this is coming from someone who achieved GM Bowcraft in UO and used to chop his own wood and sell it to other players in lots of 10,000 so I am used to tedium in MMOGS.

Secondly, and most importantly, the game server went down every night at 10pm (Sydney time) and was typically down for between 1 and two hours. Given that my play time is basically 9pm-1am the daily maintenance down time completely destroyed my game and forced me to quit.

Are these two aspects of the game still the same?
Spamcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2004, 1:28 PM   #63
sloany

Quote:
Originally posted by Gallium
This game sounds pretty good, I haven't played any MMOG (apart from Knight Online which I'm bored of after 4 days). I just downloaded the EVE client from their main site and it looks like their trial period thing is over. I would really like to try this game, see whats possible, as I wanna start playing online games. Does EVE still allow invites? if so do you think someone could shoot me an invite so I can try this game out?
pm your email and I'll send you an invite.
sloany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2004, 1:29 PM   #64
Borgod

Yes the downtime still occurs.

Repetitive mining does get boring, but I think the best thing to do is to join a corporation that is active in assisting your corp mates, so you can venture to less hospitable space where the mining opportunities are much more lucrative.

Mining is a small, allbeit necessary part ofthe game, but not the focus of it.

- Coldstream Guards -
Old 13th September 2004, 1:36 PM   #65
Spamcake

Quote:
Originally posted by Borgod
Yes the downtime still occurs.
There are many things I liked about this game and I would have stuck with it to get past the initial build up phase but this fact alone means I simply cannot play it.
Spamcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2004, 2:06 PM   #66
Borgod

yeah fair enough

Guess Im lucky im in Perth so it doesnt impact on me too much

- Coldstream Guards -
Old 13th September 2004, 2:56 PM   #67
Ashpool

Well, I am looking for some Aussies to hookup with. Ingame name is Ashpool of course.

The downtime occurs at 9pm aest and lasts approxamatly 45 mins...well for me anyway.

I have only been playing a short time and have been mining in 0.6 space in my Imicus class vessle (2 miner 1's) And just avoiding the belts when the rats turn up.

I am interested in getting enough money/skills to buy and industrial ship and start hauling a trade route for money. Then once I am skilled and rich enough, Killing rats for a while then hooking up with a corp to work isk from 0.0 space.

The basic premis of the trading is easy...buy low, sell high.

BUT I have had a few bad run ins (wasiting my hard earned isk) and have not succeeded once at a profitable route.

I have to be pretty strict with my time allowed to play..

6AM till 8AM and a few hours in the evening/weekend.

I have to manage my hours pretty tight due to work, and my many other commitments(Work, UNI, GYM, Girlfreind, Clan leader for DSO - Desert Combat Clan, Fishing, Boat building....damn where do I find the time)
Ashpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2004, 3:08 PM   #68
Borgod

Dude, how DO you find the time?

Im definitely not an expert at mining, but if you wanna make some serious Isk then ya may have to venture out to more inhospital space to make decent profits.

I assume you know about safepoints, and how to ninja-mine to make it less painful for you.
It may be worth training your skills to Mining lv4 so you can use Miner 2's also.

- Coldstream Guards -
Old 13th September 2004, 3:22 PM   #69
Gallium

Quote:
Originally posted by sloany
pm your email and I'll send you an invite.
That's ok, I found out that you can get a 14-day trial at:

http://www.mmorpg.com/eve_trial.cfm

Played for about 2 hours, so far I don't like the lack of ship control (would have preferred at least freelancers control) but everything else about the game seems to be pretty cool. I'll play a little more and see how it goes...
Radeon HD 4850
500 GB HDD
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2004, 3:24 PM   #70
Borgod

Keep in mind that there is so much more to the game than what you will experience in the first month let alone the first few hours of playing it.

Persist with the steep learning curve, and dont be afraid to ask questions.

Ask me if you want.

The in-game chat channel Rookie Help is useful also.

- Coldstream Guards -
Old 13th September 2004, 3:50 PM   #71
Ashpool

Quote:
Originally posted by Borgod

I assume you know about safepoints, and how to ninja-mine to make it less painful for you.

Nope...never heard of them, or ninja mineing...
Ashpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2004, 4:05 PM   #72
Borgod

OK well just quickly - Safepoint is a place in the space where you can warp to that is basically in the middle of nowhere and its EXTREMELY difficult to find.

easy way -
1) press f11 and in your map warp to a planet far away from your current position,
2) While you are warping, create a bookmark (People/Places - Add Bookmark)
3) When you get to your chosen planet, warp to the point you created with your bookmark.
4) When you get there you are relatively safe. It IS possible to find your safepoint, but this occurs mainly in 0.0 space and even then it takes hours for someone to find it. I wouldnt worry about it in 0.6

OK ninja mining is as follows -
1) Mine until your frigate is full, then warp to your Safepoint (in the same systerm of course)
2) Put all the ore into a can .
3) Return to the belt and mine.
4) Repeat

This will keep your lengthy and unnecessary trips to the station down to a minimum.
HOWEVER - Your can must be anchored otherwise anything inside it will be lost when it explodes after about an hour of not being anchored.

You could of course have an Industrial Ship parked there instead. and put it in the cargohold of that.
When youve finished, at the safepoint, eject from your frigate and board the indy (or return to station and get your Indy) and return all the ore to station.

Thats basically it.

Makes it happen alot faster instead of having to mine, then dock etc etc.

- Coldstream Guards -
Old 13th September 2004, 4:11 PM   #73
dcunneen

If your can's anchored why should you return to the safepoint? Since nobody will be able to get at it but you.

Also be sure to read the mining articles at www.eve-i.com - especially the bits about smart bookmarking ie set your bookmark 15kms *past* the safepoint on the same trajectory, so you can warp directly to it from the belt you're in etc.
dcunneen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2004, 4:14 PM   #74
Borgod

You need to return to it to put the ore in it you have just mined.

I'd rather have my ore at a safe spot rather than in a can in a belt. If rats show up and you cant clear them then you can pretty much say goodbye to your ore.
This way if rats show up, no probs, go to another belt and continue mining - you can always return to the can at the safe spot.

And yeah... making the bookmarks 15km from the gate is fantastic. We call em instajumps, make travelling a lot safer and quicker.

- Coldstream Guards -
Old 14th September 2004, 10:40 PM   #75
giles666

Been playing for 3 days now and seriously enjoying it. Joined a little aussie clan that has just started up and we are having a good time growing it.

The game is great to play while you are doing other stuff. Mining in the background or something.

Will deffinalty be subscribing when the trial runs out
giles666 is offline   Reply With Quote