OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Pets & Animals

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 28th November 2007, 7:56 PM   #106
karnage112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oosh View Post
Very sad to hear in such a young animal.

But any idea what was causing the problems?
Ah, it was around 6-7 months old.
Not sure what caused the problem, but my dad said the vet said it was a virus or something. No clue how it was contracted or anything.

They said they could of kept the dog comfy for a few days till it passes away ($500 quote btw) but i guess it was best to put it down.

Hope the little lad had a great life, good times mucking around with it.

Last edited by karnage112; 28th November 2007 at 9:31 PM.
karnage112 is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 30th November 2007, 12:28 AM   #107
draraist1
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by karnage112 View Post
Lost my dog earlier this year in a car accident. Had a pup which i've been taking care of.

Came home from today, parents told me the dog was vomitting and having diarrhea in the morning. They took it to the vet, the vet recommended to put it down, as it would be in serious pain in the coming days. Not sure what happened, thought it'd just be a case of an upset stomach.

Really bummed out atm.
Loved my dog to bits.

RIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oosh View Post
Very sad to hear in such a young animal.

But any idea what was causing the problems?
Parvo.... no doubt about it, you dont "have" to have them put down its just a very expensive treatment.....

and dont get another dog for at least a year. the infection lives in the environment for up to that long.
draraist1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2007, 12:30 AM   #108
draraist1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmart38 View Post
R.I.P

Billy -Staffie/ childhood-more of a mate than a pet, was stolen by some scumbag and put into dog fights, the police found him and returned him to us, he had chunks of flesh torn from him, mum had to spoon feed him water for 3 weeks, he was hit by a truck several years later.

Rebel -Staffie/ Would escape and turn up at my classroom in the middle of the day (teachers weren't too happy about that).Went missing, assumed stolen for dog fights.
that sucks dude!!!!! where on earth do tou live???? move!!!!
Old 30th November 2007, 12:44 AM   #109
karnage112

Quote:
Originally Posted by draraist1 View Post
Parvo.... no doubt about it, you dont "have" to have them put down its just a very expensive treatment.....

and dont get another dog for at least a year. the infection lives in the environment for up to that long.
Yea, googling of the symptoms tended to point towards parvo. Whats the ballpark figure for treatment by the way? (just curious)

Cheers for the tip as well, a site said something about 'bleach' cleaning the area to kill/reduce the bacteria. Might tell my dad to whip out the high pressure cleaner tommorow as we occassionally get some stray dogs in our yard taunting my dog (haven't had any for ages though)
Old 30th November 2007, 12:53 AM   #110
draraist1

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcornwallus View Post
My Awesome dog Tanna died today, She was 13 years 4 months, I don't know why she died, Anyone here a Vet?, She went off her food, Was having diarohera and Vommitting. She was struggling to breath today, I was trying to talk with her, I went to the pc back in 10 minutes and found her dead.
The Vet wouldn't tell us much. Anyway no more pain for her. RIP tannie.

http://www.users.on.net/~skyhawk/tanna.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by karnage112 View Post
Yea, googling of the symptoms tended to point towards parvo. Whats the ballpark figure for treatment by the way? (just curious)

Cheers for the tip as well, a site said something about 'bleach' cleaning the area to kill/reduce the bacteria. Might tell my dad to whip out the high pressure cleaner tommorow as we occassionally get some stray dogs in our yard taunting my dog (haven't had any for ages though)
In my experience $700-$1500.... often people dont do it because it mainly (not only) effects puppies which they have not had long.

just be warned i tried the bleach / scrubbed everything 9 months later got a dog that had even had it's parvo shots, and it still got it... coughed up the vet bill for both and am happy to say both are still alive happy and healthy.

I have lost a few really special pets over the years and y heart goes out to all of you.

IMG tags removed. Please do not quote images.

Last edited by Ma Baker; 30th November 2007 at 3:39 PM.
Old 30th November 2007, 1:03 AM   #111
karnage112

Quote:
Originally Posted by draraist1 View Post
just be warned i tried the bleach / scrubbed everything 9 months later got a dog that had even had it's parvo shots, and it still got it... coughed up the vet bill for both and am happy to say both are still alive happy and healthy.
Glad to hear your dogs are alright, if they recover from it are they immune ?
Old 30th November 2007, 10:19 AM   #112
draraist1

pretty much immune.....but its not completely unheard of for them to get it again.... more like a 1 in 100 chance and its rarely as severe.
Old 3rd December 2007, 10:46 PM   #113
inspectr

Default RIP Roxie

Click to view full-sized image!
Hosted by UGBox Image Store

I have read may of the posts in this thread over time and sometimes shed a tear for others who have lost their pets

Today its my turn to grieve. My mate Roxie had her last walk down to the coffee shop to sit with me as I read the morning paper and chatted to the regulars. Ive been with her for nearly 15 years and never has there been a more loyal companion. She was a wonderful dog.

We had to put her to sleep this evening as the arthritis in her spine finally paralysed her back legs and she could hardly walk or stand

Tomorrow is going to be a very sad day.
Folding@home 10000 club Folding@home 1Million points milestone! Succesful trades with strange, kuchster, aussie7, kent, juvenile, jtsmorris, uncyspam, DAVEY_05, Jedi Jezz, aresaid, ridewitme, kme, rickster (3), falls, FATMANTAN, AthlonBoy, Datsun1600 (3), Psychronic, commando, Jon187, chewbucca, noboundaries-au, MiniDisc, de_overfiend, jboles, terrabyte, vegetarianator, dembones, Warney, bthree and many others
inspectr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2007, 11:31 AM   #114
MatterHorn
(Taking a Break)

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspectr View Post
I have read may of the posts in this thread over time and sometimes shed a tear for others who have lost their pets

Today its my turn to grieve. My mate Roxie had her last walk down to the coffee shop to sit with me as I read the morning paper and chatted to the regulars. Ive been with her for nearly 15 years and never has there been a more loyal companion. She was a wonderful dog.

We had to put her to sleep this evening as the arthritis in her spine finally paralysed her back legs and she could hardly walk or stand

Tomorrow is going to be a very sad day.
Hey, I'm sorry to hear about Roxie, she looks like a beautiful dog.

It's always so sad to hear about pets that have passed away, but I suppose you can only think of the good times you had together
MatterHorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2007, 11:51 AM   #115
Spyder6052

had to put my best mateof 11 years to sleep yesterday, he had a brain tumor which had caused him to go blind and he was having fits and just didnt know what was going on anymore. woke up yesterday morning to him howling at nothing and it sounded like he was in pain so it was for the best.

i am going to miss the way he hung off my foot everytime i walked through the gate. R.I.P Bob the Dog

Old 13th December 2007, 8:28 PM   #116
Dr1fty

We've had to put many animals down in the past. It hurts, but as we all know, its in the best interest for the animal.

Toohey - Palomino horse, ross river fever. Barely made it to friends property (200 mtrs) where he was put down and burried. (Shh, its illegal to bury them in suburbia)

Panda - Blue cattle dog. Winter was getting to her for a few years, and had lumps on her in several places. Was about 12yo. Would still run and chase the ball etc all day..

Choc - Bay horse... Old age.

Sweety - paint horse.. old old old age.. 27. lol

Boots - Dog.. When I was about 10yo. Poisoned... (fuckin c.u.n.t.s...)

Some blue cattle dog mum picked up from the pound.. (saved its arse, at least for a while anyway) She breeds red cattle and this dog kept attacking the pups and bitch.. Had a fight and she was trying to seperate them with a broom stick, neighbour called RSPCA but before they came, she took dog out to mates place and shot it.. Then RSPCA asked to see the dog.. LMAO (long story but funny) Neighbour is a prick.

Among a long list of other animals, they're all remembered and were loved. Ya just gotta know when to let go and not make them suffer anymore.

It's cheap because it's full of unsuccessful race horses and your old deceased pets.
Dr1fty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2008, 1:22 PM   #117
Urban_Jungle

Well this weekend our dog Clyde was put to sleep forever. Hugely sad day for us. He was a true champion dog. Basically he was old 18yrs. My kids have only ever known him being there. he helped raise them and was their guardian.
Urban_Jungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2008, 2:48 PM   #118
danyell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Jungle View Post
Well this weekend our dog Clyde was put to sleep forever.
condolences mate
18 years is an awesome wicket for a dog and your kids are better for having him around and in the long run, for having lost an animal they loved.
all the best
danyell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2008, 5:14 PM   #119
IceT(error)

Lost our little Cockatiel just before Christmas due to infection from a broken wing. Just 12 months old. Nothing the vet could do either. Just died on my partners shoulder

R.I.P Prince

IceT(error) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2008, 3:01 PM   #120
ss1

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceT(error) View Post
Lost our little Cockatiel just before Christmas due to infection from a broken wing. Just 12 months old. Nothing the vet could do either. Just died on my partners shoulder

R.I.P Prince

http://members.iinet.net.au/~sentine...l/P1000606.JPG
sorry for your loss.

I lost my 15 week old sun conure last week...im devastated. He had a respiratory infection and of course the only 2 avian vets in WA were away. Took him to an exotics vet but he didnt make it
Intel i5 750 | Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD5 | 4GB Corsair DDR3 1600Mhz XMS | Gigabyte 1GB GTX460 | WD 500GB Black | Corsair HX-650W | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Silverstone Raven RV02 | Dell 2405WFP + Viewsonic 20"

Successful Trades: smunsa, Neo_R34, stupidme, beamster, brettd, gmturner, ocusa, tahpot, vitagen, dukeman, Comma, Wildthingz, Acey, oopy, Nerotic, Speedster20

Last edited by Ma Baker; 25th January 2008 at 6:21 AM. Reason: IMG tags removed.
ss1 is offline   Reply With Quote