Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Software Topics > PC Games > MMOs

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 31st August 2007, 11:13 AM   #91
billme

I have signed up, will see if I get invited .

Those character creation vids are awesome.

WTB: Games - PC/PS1/PS2/PS3 - RPG/Action & others!
WTB: 775 CPU, Small SSD, PCI/E card, DDR2
billme is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 8th November 2007, 10:55 AM   #92
Nizmox

In case anyone didn't hear... it's been delayed... again.
April - September 2008 is now the targeted release 'range'.

http://au.pc.gamespy.com/pc/warhamme.../832849p1.html

From what I hear they are trying to make the most polished product they can before release, which is a good thing.

It's a bit of a shame that MMORPGs really need to be super polished on release now. In order to compete with WoW they have to be better than WoW at the time they are released. They can't afford to fix and improve things later or risk losing their player base.
WoW wasn't perfect (and still isn't) at the time it was released but has been amended into the great game it is now. Other games don't have this luxury.
Old 8th November 2007, 3:04 PM   #93
h0uSe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nizmox View Post
It's a bit of a shame that MMORPGs really need to be super polished on release now. In order to compete with WoW they have to be better than WoW at the time they are released. They can't afford to fix and improve things later or risk losing their player base.
WoW wasn't perfect (and still isn't) at the time it was released but has been amended into the great game it is now. Other games don't have this luxury.
You do have a point, but many people are over WoW. IMO blizzard had a chance to make WoW unstoppable with the Major Patches and Expansions but just kept spitting out more of the same.

Many will migrate over to War Online just due to bordem.
h0uSe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2007, 4:13 PM   #94
Nizmox

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0uSe View Post
You do have a point, but many people are over WoW. IMO blizzard had a chance to make WoW unstoppable with the Major Patches and Expansions but just kept spitting out more of the same.

Exactly.
In my opinion WoW does too much expanding Upwards rather than Outwards. Increasing the level cap every expansion doesn't make the game any more fun. Especially when you haven't corrected the existing balance issues since the last expansion.
I think another major problem of WoW is it trys to balance on 3 fronts. PvP, Arena and PvE which I just don't believe is practical. Hopefully Warhammer onlines focus on PvP will remedy this.

The more I read about Warhammer Online the more I wish it was out now.
Old 8th November 2007, 4:22 PM   #95
Brent-83

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0uSe View Post

I think you underestimate the average WoW player. It is not a hardcore player who strives for lots of content all the time.
Brent-83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2007, 5:30 PM   #96
h0uSe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent-83 View Post
I think you underestimate the average WoW player. It is not a hardcore player who strives for lots of content all the time.
I was a very hardcore player, and it bored me to tears that each expansion/patch was the same shit.
Old 8th November 2007, 6:07 PM   #97
Snufkin

It's good that WAR has been delayed, they're listening a lot to us beta testers, we asked for a lot of fairly major changes
Snufkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2007, 11:25 PM   #98
h0uSe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snufkin View Post
It's good that WAR has been delayed, they're listening a lot to us beta testers, we asked for a lot of fairly major changes
I'm still so very jealous.
Old 8th November 2007, 11:45 PM   #99
Daexkor

Yeah WoW was annoying as hell in the end, they kept 'moving' the goal post, so after months of hard work, you'd only be powerful for about a fortnight before they patched something else in that makes your character seem redundant.

Can't wait to get into WO tho when its finally released.

Glad to see they are making the game great rather than Vanguard's "Pay to Play" Beta :P
Old 5th February 2008, 3:25 PM   #100
dARCKLOWN

any updates on this?
dARCKLOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2008, 3:39 PM   #101
chimosh

Quote:
In case anyone didn't hear... it's been delayed... again.
April - September 2008 is now the targeted release 'range'.

http://au.pc.gamespy.com/pc/warhamme.../832849p1.html

From what I hear they are trying to make the most polished product they can before release, which is a good thing.

The only thing blizzard did successfully with wow was advertise and build up its release. WoW put MMO's on the map. Not many gamers knew what the hell a mmo was until the release of WoW, which brought all types of gamers into the mix.

An MMO is very addictive, and wow is full of newb mmo players.

And well of coarse it is Blizzard, a very well known games company.

I do like WoW. In some cases. But i do hate it as well. Its not the greatest mmo out there, its just the most populated.

I still prefer DAOC, for those that know what that is. But hey, each to their own.
Old 6th February 2008, 8:39 AM   #102
zoogwah

Quote:
Exactly.
In my opinion WoW does too much expanding Upwards rather than Outwards. Increasing the level cap every expansion doesn't make the game any more fun. Especially when you haven't corrected the existing balance issues since the last expansion.
I think another major problem of WoW is it trys to balance on 3 fronts. PvP, Arena and PvE which I just don't believe is practical. Hopefully Warhammer onlines focus on PvP will remedy this.

The more I read about Warhammer Online the more I wish it was out now.
With the last few patches I really believe they're trying to amend this. Levelling for lower levels is much more enjoyable since they made it less of a grind and improved items. Casual players now have a chance at epics (even though the elite complain endlessly) and the 2.4 patch seems to promise big change with new 5-man instances as awell as 25-man raids. ZA again targetted the guys who can't spend all their time in big raiding guilds but have gotten past the point of Karazhan, but at the same time allowed advanced players to reap some rewards from the new raid.

I certainly agree that balancing it on several fronts was WoW's biggest weakness, but honestly I think they're starting to reach a point where they have been successful in implementing PVP alongside PVE. There are many people who play the game pruely for PVP and others that are the opposite, which is an indication that they're at least getting some of it right in both areas. With the global PVP competitions and recognition as a true electronic sport, WoW is making progress. I suppose we'll see in the next patch what happens, but they have promised fairly in-depth class reviews and balance for PvP.

It is a system balanced around 5 players rather than smaller groups though, which is what I feel people tend to forget when they get raped 1v1 against a certain class.

I personally cannot wait for another level cap. You've got to remember that most players that have been in the game for a decent amount of time have level 70's and have by this stage experienced most of what the expansion had to offer. I'm basically barely playing until the new one comes out, then I anticipate a massive increase in addiction :P I realise that guys like h0use say they're bored with the new content that is released, and some people feel that their character is being made redundant by the new content, but you can't have an MMORPG that does not evolve and expand, for obvious reasons. Personally, I find that most of the new patch content doesn't affect me massivley, but a new expansion gives me a chance to progress alongside the best players. And of course they still have the advantages of their gear and ability and guild coordination, which will see them ahead of the pack anyway once everyone's levelled.

I can certainly understand what everyone is saying about WoW, though. I think you have to be a certain type of person to keep enjoying it. I try to see things from Blizzard's point of view, and I think they've definitely made an excellent effort in recent times to vary up the game and make it enjoyable on all fronts. It's jsut osmehting that takes time to think through, design and implement.

That said, I'm very interested to see how Warhammer Online goes. I doubt I'll convert, but I can't wait to see how it differs from WoW and where it has made improvements etc.

Last edited by zoogwah; 6th February 2008 at 8:44 AM.
zoogwah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2008, 10:02 AM   #103
Borgod

Bring on Age of Conan

- Coldstream Guards -
Borgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2008, 10:11 AM   #104
zoogwah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borgod View Post
Bring on Age of Conan
That looks good. Is it also a PvP-oriented game (it looks like it)?
zoogwah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2008, 10:31 AM   #105
chimosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoogwah View Post
With the last few patches I really believe they're trying to amend this. Levelling for lower levels is much more enjoyable since they made it less of a grind and improved items. Casual players now have a chance at epics (even though the elite complain endlessly) and the 2.4 patch seems to promise big change with new 5-man instances as awell as 25-man raids. ZA again targetted the guys who can't spend all their time in big raiding guilds but have gotten past the point of Karazhan, but at the same time allowed advanced players to reap some rewards from the new raid.

I certainly agree that balancing it on several fronts was WoW's biggest weakness, but honestly I think they're starting to reach a point where they have been successful in implementing PVP alongside PVE. There are many people who play the game pruely for PVP and others that are the opposite, which is an indication that they're at least getting some of it right in both areas. With the global PVP competitions and recognition as a true electronic sport, WoW is making progress. I suppose we'll see in the next patch what happens, but they have promised fairly in-depth class reviews and balance for PvP.

It is a system balanced around 5 players rather than smaller groups though, which is what I feel people tend to forget when they get raped 1v1 against a certain class.

I personally cannot wait for another level cap. You've got to remember that most players that have been in the game for a decent amount of time have level 70's and have by this stage experienced most of what the expansion had to offer. I'm basically barely playing until the new one comes out, then I anticipate a massive increase in addiction :P I realise that guys like h0use say they're bored with the new content that is released, and some people feel that their character is being made redundant by the new content, but you can't have an MMORPG that does not evolve and expand, for obvious reasons. Personally, I find that most of the new patch content doesn't affect me massivley, but a new expansion gives me a chance to progress alongside the best players. And of course they still have the advantages of their gear and ability and guild coordination, which will see them ahead of the pack anyway once everyone's levelled.

I can certainly understand what everyone is saying about WoW, though. I think you have to be a certain type of person to keep enjoying it. I try to see things from Blizzard's point of view, and I think they've definitely made an excellent effort in recent times to vary up the game and make it enjoyable on all fronts. It's jsut osmehting that takes time to think through, design and implement.

That said, I'm very interested to see how Warhammer Online goes. I doubt I'll convert, but I can't wait to see how it differs from WoW and where it has made improvements etc.
When that expansion comes out with a lvl 80 cap. That will be the death of wow for allot of people, including myself.

Another thing they have not done is successfully implement pvp along side of pve. The pvp people like myself, play arena and thats it. we dont do anything else because well, lets face it. PVE is utter boring for hardcore pvper's

The arena system is great, i love the fights, but the system is flawed, greatly. The rating system could be reworked into something different. And arena and BG's have taken away what a mmo is ment to be. A world at conflict with 2 sides battling it out on open plains of the field like Ashenvale and all the pvp front lines. But we dont do any of that. So its killed all those areas of population. Which is a pitty. The starting zones are dead.

This was another major Fuck up from the BC expansion. Making all 70's leave that land behind. Seen this happen in every mmo. I hoped that they would have learned by now.