OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Software Topics > PC Games > MMOs

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 6th February 2008, 10:59 AM   #106
FromPaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimosh View Post
When that expansion comes out with a lvl 80 cap. That will be the death of wow for allot of people, including myself.

Another thing they have not done is successfully implement pvp along side of pve. The pvp people like myself, play arena and thats it. we dont do anything else because well, lets face it. PVE is utter boring for hardcore pvper's

The arena system is great, i love the fights, but the system is flawed, greatly. The rating system could be reworked into something different. And arena and BG's have taken away what a mmo is ment to be. A world at conflict with 2 sides battling it out on open plains of the field like Ashenvale and all the pvp front lines. But we dont do any of that. So its killed all those areas of population. Which is a pitty. The starting zones are dead.

This was another major Fuck up from the BC expansion. Making all 70's leave that land behind. Seen this happen in every mmo. I hoped that they would have learned by now.
To further add to this, WoW has doomed it self by forcing a vertical upgrade in each xpac, the older content becomes obsolete and the incentives to run it are reduced for each xpac beyond the first.

Warhammer online can create horizontal upgrades by adding in another campaign for each xpac, each xpac would just add a campaign (say wood elves and skaven) and then add in the location for that campaign, the incentive to keep running all of the content in the game is still there.

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 6th February 2008, 2:34 PM   #107
Sebstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borgod View Post
Bring on Age of Conan
never mind the controls being an absolute DOG. from what I've heard (and very reliable sources at that), the game in its current state is completely unplayable.
Old 6th February 2008, 2:49 PM   #108
Daexkor

I've been wanting to see how this game stacks up for awhile. I've been following it and it sounds like they are really trying to make a great game.

Still, I wouldn't mind finally getting into the beta to see for myself.
Old 6th February 2008, 3:04 PM   #109
Borgod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebstar View Post
never mind the controls being an absolute DOG. from what I've heard (and very reliable sources at that), the game in its current state is completely unplayable.
Oh I'm sorry, you've played the retail version have you?

- Coldstream Guards -
Borgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2008, 11:22 AM   #110
zoogwah

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimosh View Post
When that expansion comes out with a lvl 80 cap. That will be the death of wow for allot of people, including myself.

Another thing they have not done is successfully implement pvp along side of pve. The pvp people like myself, play arena and thats it. we dont do anything else because well, lets face it. PVE is utter boring for hardcore pvper's

The arena system is great, i love the fights, but the system is flawed, greatly. The rating system could be reworked into something different. And arena and BG's have taken away what a mmo is ment to be. A world at conflict with 2 sides battling it out on open plains of the field like Ashenvale and all the pvp front lines. But we dont do any of that. So its killed all those areas of population. Which is a pitty. The starting zones are dead.

This was another major Fuck up from the BC expansion. Making all 70's leave that land behind. Seen this happen in every mmo. I hoped that they would have learned by now.
I don't really want to get into a shit-fight about WoW in a Warhammer thread, but they are looking at making changes to rectify all those things in the xpac. I guess some people like me love the levelling (most fun I had was first going to Outland on my lock), and others just don't find anything in the game that still holds their attention. For example, I enjoy PvE and find PvP utterly boring. Hopefully the big PvP zones in Northrend will live up to expectations.

As for horizontal expansion...I don't think it will be as simple as that, FromPaul. I've found in WoW that levelling other classes in the old world enormously fun, especially since gear and quest upgrades, and the zones on my server are as lively as ever, even the starting zones. Personally, whilst I think 'horizontal expansion' may seem like the way to go, I really think newer, better content is the most exciting part of an MMO, rather than revisiting older stuff.

I can certainly understand where you guys are coming from though
zoogwah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2008, 2:36 PM   #111
dARCKLOWN

Stop shitting up my Warhams thread with WoW crap
dARCKLOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2008, 2:49 PM   #112
FiShy

(Agg edit: no it isn't.)

Last edited by Agg; 7th February 2008 at 4:18 PM.
FiShy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2008, 10:15 AM   #113
dARCKLOWN

Haha edited by the man
dARCKLOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2008, 10:28 AM   #114
Borgod

Need to see a lot more of that Agg

I've been reading a couple of Robert E. Howard short stories and its cemented my excitement at the release of Age of Conan. Forget Arnie in the 2 films he did in the early 80's (which butchered the storyline, characters and other aspects of the Conan lore), the writings of REH are excellent and its now obvious to see why all the big fans of Conan stem from the REH books rather than the films.

Oh, and we'll also see female nipples in-game

- Coldstream Guards -
Borgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2008, 4:09 PM   #115
iNeLuKi
(Banned or Deleted)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borgod View Post
Oh, and we'll also see female nipples in-game
lol my bad... nipples it is.
iNeLuKi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2008, 12:47 AM   #116
Daexkor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daexkor View Post
I've been wanting to see how this game stacks up for awhile. I've been following it and it sounds like they are really trying to make a great game.

Still, I wouldn't mind finally getting into the beta to see for myself.
Wow, two days later and I got into the beta. Awesome.
Old 9th February 2008, 2:09 AM   #117
Dass Booty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daexkor View Post
Wow, two days later and I got into the beta. Awesome.
Same here. A mate got in at the same time. The download is a bitch. I reckon they should have spread it via torrent.
Old 9th February 2008, 2:22 AM   #118
Bracken_02

Got in also. Quota = owned this month, sigh!
Old 9th February 2008, 11:35 AM   #119
Snufkin
OCAU Sponsor

Good to see a few more people getting in

I've got 2 chars destruction side at the moment, but this phase of the beta is mostly old hat to me (although there are some very welcome changes).
If you see Dennycrane or Alanshore around, that's me.
Snufkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2008, 11:46 AM   #120
Smithy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snufkin View Post
Good to see a few more people getting in

I've got 2 chars destruction side at the moment, but this phase of the beta is mostly old hat to me (although there are some very welcome changes).
If you see Dennycrane or Alanshore around, that's me.

+1 for Boston legal