I reckon i won't get in since my comp isn't new enough agp card ftw

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 9th February 2008, 2:02 PM   #122
Snufkin
OCAU Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy View Post
+1 for Boston legal
In the last phase of beta my guild was called Crane Poole and Schmidt, of course the most common thing I said with my Dennycrane character was simply "Denny Crane."
Snufkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2008, 2:24 PM   #123
Dass Booty

Unhappy

Noohohoo. They changed the files. I had almost finished the download. I'll have to wait 15 days until my net usage is reset. 60GB is not enough. Damn you high def vids. Damn yous all to hell!
Old 9th February 2008, 5:28 PM   #124
Supremecy

how bigs the beta app?
Old 10th February 2008, 12:56 AM   #125
toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoogwah View Post
think 'horizontal expansion' may seem like the way to go, I really think newer, better content is the most exciting part of an MMO, rather than revisiting older stuff.

I can certainly understand where you guys are coming from though
Horizontal expansion dosnt mean that there isnt new content.
It just means that the primary 'experiance curve' is never modified. (your level)

If you take daoc as the example (Mythics current MMO)
The original level cap of 50 is still in effect today. (6.5yrs into the game)
Each expansion has instead added new items, new zones and most importantly that new experiance curve. Giving the players the desire to go explore the new lands and defeat the new baddies and make progress with their character.
If you ignore the terrible expansion of ToA, then with each expansion the power increase available to the characters isnt so great that it nerfs every character that hasnt played the new expansion.
The significance of this?
You could be hardcore 8hr a day habbit player and still wouldnt be that much more powerful than the next guy as far as pve goes.
You could not buy the latest expansion and still be very viable in pvp.
You could quit the game and decide to come back 2yrs later, and go right back to playing with your friends without having to complete some 6month grind to catch up to the content they are working through.

Increasing the cap on the primary experiance curve is retarded imo. And god I hope Mythic use the same principles for Warhammer as they had for daoc.
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2008, 8:48 AM   #126
zoogwah

Yeah, I see what you mean. I personally don't think it's fair that a hardcore player can spend that amount of time and effort without much more of a reward. I know people are going to argue with this, but that's how I see it, and I know for many people that takes the fun out of the game.

As far as raising a level cap goes, I feel that it's simply WoW's method of introducing new zones, monsters, items and other content that really isn't very hard at all to attain, but does give you some sort of progression model. For example, you cannot and should not have people that have under-par items and experieince playing their character that only play 5 hours a week doing more difficult content. It's not fair on the other players and leaves a bad experience with the casual players when they realise they're unable to properly experience the content. WoW has a small learning curve and levelling is not difficult nor overly time consuming. And as I mentioned before, the latest patch will help rectify some aspects, for example, removing attunements for higher level raids and allowing guilds to choose which bosses they want to attempt.

That's just how I see it, but form a PvP perspective, it's certainly more enjoyable to remove some aspects of levelling and let the player's skill allow them to reap greater rewards.

I'm really interested in any feedback from beta. I could well give WO a good go for a while
zoogwah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2008, 3:10 PM   #127
Snufkin
OCAU Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoogwah View Post
Yeah, I see what you mean. I personally don't think it's fair that a hardcore player can spend that amount of time and effort without much more of a reward. I know people are going to argue with this, but that's how I see it, and I know for many people that takes the fun out of the game.
So you think that if someone plays the game 6 hours a day, 7 days a week they should be able to have a massive advantage over anyone that plays for 2 hours a day 3 days a week?

The way I see it, if you want to waste your life away playing an MMO, that's up to you but I don't think you should be rewarded for poopsocking.

Quote:
As far as raising a level cap goes, I feel that it's simply WoW's method of introducing new zones, monsters, items and other content that really isn't very hard at all to attain, but does give you some sort of progression model.
Except the level cap in WoW basically rendered ALL level 60 dungeons obsolete, nobody ever does any of it any more because you can get better green drops at level 61 than you can from doing level 60 40main raids.
The only reason to do any of the level 60 content in WoW now is to see it.
Also, making 99% of the endgame content instanced resulted in a ghost town of a world, which is as boring as hell.
One problem with raising the level cap is you end up having to rebalance everything again as well, and seeing as WoW is already a horribly unbalanced game it just made things worse.

Quote:
For example, you cannot and should not have people that have under-par items and experieince playing their character that only play 5 hours a week doing more difficult content.
So you're saying casuals should be treated like lepers and nobody should group with them?
How are the casuals ever supposed to get decent items if you play this way?
Oh, that's right, they should quit their jobs and play the MMO instead because that would be more "fair" to the people who already have no life.

Quote:
It's not fair on the other players and leaves a bad experience with the casual players when they realise they're unable to properly experience the content. WoW has a small learning curve and levelling is not difficult nor overly time consuming. And as I mentioned before, the latest patch will help rectify some aspects, for example, removing attunements for higher level raids and allowing guilds to choose which bosses they want to attempt.
Levelling and the learning curve are one thing, farming for mats so you can do high end raids so basically you spend all your time either farming or hitting a stun dummy in a dungeon isn't my idea of a fun game.
Getting better gear so you can get better gear so you can get better gear so you can get better gear.... uh... wait a second, that sound really, really boring to me.

Quote:
That's just how I see it, but form a PvP perspective, it's certainly more enjoyable to remove some aspects of levelling and let the player's skill allow them to reap greater rewards.
And that's how it should be.
Reward people for skill, not for spending most of their waking life playing the game.
Playing more does not equal better player.

One of the biggest problems with WoW is that you can completely remove any need for skill by raiding and farming gear because in WoW gear > skill.
Snufkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2008, 5:46 PM   #128
zoogwah

I don't see why you should get similar rewards for spending less time and effort on something.
Old 10th February 2008, 6:09 PM   #129
PsychoSmiley

Quite simply because some people don't have the bloody time in their lives to devote to a game. I'm in a situation where working a 10 hour day is not uncommon and there is the odd 11 hour day because simply I cannot get the time to complete everything I need to do at work. Now, pray tell how is somebody like me meant to enjoy an MMO if I have to literally take it up as a 2nd job? The biggest thing I despised about WoW was unless you could invest 4+ hours in a session you really didn't get much done, and pretty much your gear meant everything. So if you had shit items, you were useless.
Sure, reward the people that work hard for things, but people like me who have to work and do other things in their life want something out if too, and we don't have the time to throw away like students, unemployed 'tards or people who are so bloody addicted that they feel the need to spend every waking hour of their free time playing it to grind for 'X' item.
Old 10th February 2008, 6:19 PM   #130
Baringa

I have to agree with PsychoSmiley. I don't play often, and I only play an hour or so a day of any given MMO, but I don't want to be unrewarded, or find the game impossible because I can't devote my life to it.

For those of you who are saying fuck the people who aren't devoting their lives to a game, how do you feel about having no life except sitting around for 8+ hours a day playing a video game? Do you not have jobs, families, girlfriends/boyfriends, friends or social commitments? Is your life so empty that you're dissing people who can't put in 2 or more hours a day?

If I'm not mistaken, it's those of us with lives that should be dissing you.
Baringa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2008, 8:36 PM   #131
Daexkor

Any other OCAU's in the closed beta?

I'm playing a chaos zealot atm called Naeyx.
Old 10th February 2008, 8:39 PM   #132
Ignignort

DO WANT INVITE EA!
Old 10th February 2008, 9:51 PM   #133
zoogwah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baringa View Post
I have to agree with PsychoSmiley. I don't play often, and I only play an hour or so a day of any given MMO, but I don't want to be unrewarded, or find the game impossible because I can't devote my life to it.

For those of you who are saying fuck the people who aren't devoting their lives to a game, how do you feel about having no life except sitting around for 8+ hours a day playing a video game? Do you not have jobs, families, girlfriends/boyfriends, friends or social commitments? Is your life so empty that you're dissing people who can't put in 2 or more hours a day?

If I'm not mistaken, it's those of us with lives that should be dissing you.
Yeah, that's fair enough. I can understand where you guys are coming from. I just don't think you can argue with the way WoW has been developed and expanded based on your preference of casual play, however. It just irks me that people say Blizzard are ruining the game or that the new content is ridiculous when your standards of what's rewarding isn't in tune with a traditional style of MMO play that is being improved and expanded to suit a broader demographic. I know you're going to come back with similar arguments, but I'm trying to show a sort of midground between something like hardcore EQ-style play and something too casual. I mean, it'd be really disappointing if WO came out and everyone enjoyed playing it every so often, but it just didn't take off because it was too wishy-washy or there wasn't enough to do.

Personally I don't find it difficult at all to fit in my 20-25 hours a week whilst still seeing friends, working, training and playing a competitive level of sport every single day. I will find it difficult with hardcore progression raiding, but that's why I welcome the levelling in new expansions. It's easy to get good new gear and to go at your own pace whilst exploring new zones and content.

Psycho, I disagree with gear meaning everything. Of course it helps (ok, alot in some cases), but it's often the reward for being able to play a character better or having better knowledge of how to gear etc. A group of 4 friends and I managed to clear Karazhan in a few hours (10 man raid dungeon for those that don't know) with 5 other random guys that hadn't been there before. It was purely because we'd done it so often and knew it from various classes' perspectives and could carry some of the load and impart some strategy to the other players. Besides, it's easier than ever to get enough badges or farm enough honour to get some quality gear, and doing that certainly doesn't mean tens of hours a week at the computer. The 'elite' (the guys with no lives) are complaining their tits off because of this. It takes about 2 weeks of 2 hours a night to get enough badges for a piece of gear that is the equivalent or better than Tier 5 raid gear, and you never have to set foot in a guild or raid environment to do so.

Many of the top guilds will have 2-3 raiding nights a week where they will spend 4+ hours a sitting getting thorugh and farming content. That's not too "hardcore" in most people's books. Of course it's easy to get sucked in and play for a long time. There's so much to do, but it doesn't require sitting at your computer for hours on end if you don't want to. Hardcore arena players might play hundreds of games a week and get more points than the guys who play their minimum 10, and all it means is that they get their stuff a month before you do (excluding the experience and practise of course).

I wonder how Warhammer will handle trying to balance the population of MMO players that want to be able to get better stuff quicker and those that want to play more casually. I remember Guild Wars having some thing where you could have a premade character at the top level with some decent gear to just get straight into PVP with, but I don't know if that was effective at all...

I don't want to try and say NO I'M RIGHT YOU ARE WRONG or anything, but I don't feel like the nay-sayers in the thread are seeing it from the right perspective.

Last edited by zoogwah; 10th February 2008 at 9:54 PM.
Old 10th February 2008, 9:54 PM   #134
ogden

I agree with the argument of time and effort = Rewards. I put a lot of work in when I was at uni and now I make a good living.
I think these people who can put 8hrs a day into a game should be rewarded for having no life and get all the L33T gear.
ogden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2008, 1:14 AM   #135
toad

I dont think anybody is suggesting that hardcore player shouldnt be able to attain a little extra for their character. But in wow the disparity between the top raid guilds and the casual players gear was just insane. (stopped playing over 12months ago, so it may have changed a little)

Heres to hoping Warhammer gets a better mix.

Have they released any info on how the end game pve content will work in warhammer, or what the pvp reward system will be like yet?
toad is offline   Reply With Quote