Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Pets & Animals

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 8th October 2007, 2:14 PM   #16
Arch-Angel

I saw this movie where a lot of people killed snakes.... Think they were on a plane at the time...

Can't remember what it was called though.

Whatever you do, don't click HERE!
Arch-Angel is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 8th October 2007, 2:42 PM   #17
nikkothescorpio
(Banned or Deleted)

I'm pretty sure more people are bitten trying to kill snakes than by accidental encounters with them so is not a good thing to do on either a monetary, ethical or social rules level.

Surely simply going out of your way to avoid them is far better - if they're posing a threat to your family etc then only use lethal force if needed.

Very rarely snakes can pursue people - but generally they only do this to scare you off and will then run for it as they're always more scared of you.

FTR I lived on a rural property on mi-north coast until age 20 or so and saw plenty of snakes and only ever killed one - as it was in our dogs yard - not a fun thing to do as they are amazingly fast.
nikkothescorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2007, 3:09 PM   #18
pugsley

Im guessing the penalties would be for anyone that goes out and actively hunts down any snakes. Why you would do that i dont know but i guess its been done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by damn duck View Post
Why is it so easy to get "rational" people to fight one another over the most meaningless shit?
pugsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2007, 3:23 PM   #19
UB3R

i have been chased by a red belly out of a dam i was mucking around in. it was in the reeds about 15m away and all of a sudden it came, full on at me and 2 mates, we ran like the freaking wind!

another time, in a farm out the back of condo we were in the car and a brown snake was about 10m away, sat up, then charged at us bloody fast. we were moving so floored it and it didnt get too close but it wasnt just randomly slithering around.

wouldnt have had a second thought about killing either of them.
Old 8th October 2007, 3:51 PM   #20
cbb1935

Could be wrong here (have the info at home), but IIRC the Brown Snake will normally retreat rather than strike when threatened. Thus the reason not many people die from them.

The Viper family of snakes though (once again IIRC), are normally very aggressive and will snap at anything. However they have a less potent venom.

Basically if someone created a hybrid of the 2, the size of a python, despite being rather cool, it'd be deadly as haha.
Old 8th October 2007, 4:57 PM   #21
choo5
(Banned or Deleted)

I got bitten by a brown snake when I was 14 or 15, not a great experience I can tell u.

shortly after I was shaking / sweating / vomiting constantly and not so concious, they didnt know what happened to me as I wasnt in the right condition to tell them until later: apparently it was too late for anti-venom.

not one piece of solid food for 2 weeks, stomach spasms and vomiting every 15 > 30mins.

fuck that, if a snake is in any way agressive its dead; im still suffering from nerve damage due to the bite.
choo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2007, 5:04 PM   #22
noboundaries-au

Just dont kill/attack a snake unless its directly threatening you. Lived in the country my whole life, seen some huge brown, black, and redbelly snakes. Never had any have a go at me once. The poor things are far more scared of you, then you of it. Most of the time a bite will result from something like accidentally stepping on or cornering a snake.
Old 8th October 2007, 6:36 PM   #23
Baringa

I'm not going to kill a snake if its exiting my yard or whatever, but if its in my yard, dangerously close to my family or my animals... well then its dead, because it's cheaper to shoot the damn snake than rush my pets to the vet for AV.

Last edited by Ma Baker; 9th October 2007 at 5:46 AM. Reason: Reply to removed post removed.
Baringa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2007, 10:27 AM   #24
iinsom

Have had numerous run-ins with snakes from living out on acerage at Ariah Park. King Browns (6-7ft long) tend to arc up when cornered (someone above posted opposite, but ive encountered a few) and when that happens theres only 1 ending for the sucker

As many people have posted here, snakes are relatively harmless, unless they feel threatened, thats when they turn aggressive. I remember when i was younger, my father and uncle were getting photos taken from a plane of our property, and there was a 6ft brown slithering along the yard. We were like ok, just be calm and it'll go away. It stopped, turned back towards the house (but away from us still) and started going towards the unders of the house.

Needless to say, that snake suffered the same as most of them on the property did.

Never come accross a taipan or anything like that though, so cant comment on them, but ive known the browns + king browns to be aggressive when cornered. Personal experience, so im not saying that its correct, but yeah

Also adding, if a snake was directly endangering my family or pets etc, then theres no hesitation of me disposing of it.
Old 11th October 2007, 8:59 PM   #25
cbb1935

Quote:
Originally Posted by noboundaries-au View Post
Just dont kill/attack a snake unless its directly threatening you. Lived in the country my whole life, seen some huge brown, black, and redbelly snakes. Never had any have a go at me once. The poor things are far more scared of you, then you of it. Most of the time a bite will result from something like accidentally stepping on or cornering a snake.
Not only this, but if you miss, you've got one very pissed off, very aggressive snake, that won't now think twice about attacking you.

and I can guarantee the snake is going to be faster at reacting than the human.
Old 11th October 2007, 9:54 PM   #26
noboundaries-au

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch01 View Post
Not only this, but if you miss, you've got one very pissed off, very aggressive snake, that won't now think twice about attacking you.

Thats why you dont attack a snake until its pretty certain it will attack you. That way you have little to lose.

You do nothing and get bit, or you do something and either do or dont.

Again, its pretty unlikely you'll ever be in a situation like this, most snakes will run for the hills.
Old 14th October 2007, 2:45 AM   #27
Doofus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Greg View Post
If you live in the sticks, and your neighbours are a 10 minute drive away, who is going to dob on you for putting a pickaxe through a king brown's skull?
Pickaxe? Pft.

Fire rake is much better. Dad decapitated a brown (or a tiger, we never bothered to identify it) when it had me cornered in the shed. I was unloading wood and disturbed it. I would call that being directly threatened.
Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2007, 8:01 AM   #28
master phi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch01 View Post

Not true. There is a documentary on martial artists that proves that humans can react within twice the speed that you will be able to blink and that is the fastest movement a human can do. The time it takes for a snake to strike is actually 4 times slower than what a human can punch as well *this is all assuming those full pro martial artists though nevertheless they are still HUMAN* We could punch at the distance of a football field in one second.

edit: Had my units the other way around
Phenom II X2 550 @X4 B50 3.85ghz 1.44V -|- GA-MA770T-UD3P -|- G.Skill Trident 8-8-8-21 @830mhz DDR3 4GB -|- Enermax Modu 82+ 625W -|- Nocuta U12PC -|- HIS 4890 OC @900mhz 1000mhz -|- Sondigo Oxygen Inferno -|- Pioneer Kuro 50" 508XDA Plasma -|- Razer Deathadder -|- Logitech G15 -|- G.Skill 64GB Falcon

Last edited by master phi; 14th October 2007 at 8:07 AM.
master phi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2007, 8:04 AM   #29
Doofus

Quote:
Originally Posted by master phi View Post
We could punch at the speed of a football field in one second.
I didn't think football fields were very fast.

But then again, I have never tried to race one at the lights.
Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2007, 4:21 PM   #30
Dark_Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doofus View Post
Pickaxe? Pft.

Fire rake is much better. Dad decapitated a brown (or a tiger, we never bothered to identify it) when it had me cornered in the shed. I was unloading wood and disturbed it. I would call that being directly threatened.
I have a new favorite wildlife destroying tool!, thanks!

that things mean, you get to decide to slice, or perforate...at range too.
Dark_Greg is offline   Reply With Quote