Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Pets & Animals

Notices

Old 14th October 2007, 11:07 PM   #31
pugsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Greg View Post
I have a new favorite wildlife destroying tool!, thanks!

that things mean, you get to decide to slice, or perforate...at range too.
They are good for 'blazing bunnies' if they run within range of you as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by damn duck View Post
Why is it so easy to get "rational" people to fight one another over the most meaningless shit?
pugsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2007, 4:49 PM   #32
Revenge

It would be incredibly rare (and surprising) for any snake to 'chase' someone...

By nature they don't even 'chase' their prey FFS.

If you were running in a given direction and the snake was following you, it is vastly more likely that the snake is simply heading in the same direction as you... try taking a turn and the odds are the snake will just continue straight past you.
Old 16th October 2007, 6:01 PM   #33
choo5
(Banned or Deleted)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenge View Post
It would be incredibly rare (and surprising) for any snake to 'chase' someone...
having lived on a farm I call BS, both myself and family members have been chased by snakes numerous times and those fuckers are fast
choo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2007, 6:24 PM   #34
Spyder6052

Quote:
Originally Posted by choo5 View Post
having lived on a farm I call BS, both myself and family members have been chased by snakes numerous times and those fuckers are fast
QFT

king browns are known to chase people and they are damn fast
Old 16th October 2007, 8:41 PM   #35
Rabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by holistic View Post
Colour me a pansy then. If I come across a snake, and it decides to make sudden movements towards me, I'm directly threatened and that snake is getting clobered.
Lol QFT.....not having a snake near me.
Rabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2010, 11:34 PM   #36
onbail
(Banned or Deleted)

Reminds me of a time I was working at a Industrial Maintenance factory in Brissy shoveling sawdust into bags so the piping wouldn't get damaged in transit.

A Brown Snake comes out of no where almost shat myself and I just sat there and was shitting bricks but the snake just did its thing and just slithered away.
onbail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2010, 12:12 AM   #37
BigDave

Exclamation

Just kill the bastard and don't tell any one
Old 26th February 2010, 4:27 PM   #38
dreamaxx
(Banned or Deleted)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch-Angel View Post
I saw this movie where a lot of people killed snakes.... Think they were on a plane at the time...

Can't remember what it was called though.
My friend wanted to say this to you:

I like that.
dreamaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2010, 4:48 PM   #39
Drew_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch01 View Post
There is no one "deadliest snake in the world".
There is no "most venomous" either.
There IS however a way that snakes can be classified based on the intensity, and the toxicity of its venom.

Whilst one snake might not be that potent in terms of venom, then amount administered, or the ferocity of the attack might be lethal.
I use very simple reasoning to determine the deadlines of a snake or which one is more venomous.

The one that kills you in the least amount of time is obviously the most deadly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenge View Post

By nature they don't even 'chase' their prey FFS.

If you were running in a given direction and the snake was following you, it is vastly more likely that the snake is simply heading in the same direction as you... try taking a turn and the odds are the snake will just continue straight past you.
Good to know, I'll make a point of running at least 3 feet in front of you; at the end of the day you dont have to be the fastest just don't be last.

Last edited by Drew_; 26th February 2010 at 4:50 PM.
Drew_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2010, 5:10 PM   #40
Sandez

If you're concerned about snakes, just make very heavy, deliberate foot steps. Snakes can sense the vibrations and it really is the most effective and stress free method of avoiding the slithery little bastards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by choo5 View Post

As a kid Dad and I would always go out catching snakes, and out of hundreds of encounters with snakes we have never been chased. We also grew up SURROUNDED by bush and some farmland and have never been chased.

Leading me to believe that stories about snakes 'chasing' people are pure unadulterated bullshit. As usual Revenge is on the money.
... there would probably be more yelling/freakingout/laughing at my small penis/photos being taken on phones...
Sandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2010, 1:55 PM   #41
Grotburger

Most snake bites occur because people are either trying to pick up a snake or kill it. Even if a snake is arcing up at you (which is pretty rare) your best bet is just to back away.

I have no problem with a snake being killed because it is threatening people or pets/stock but the fact is most people see a snake near a house and call that actively threatening which is total crap. 99 times out of a 100 if just leave it alone and it will leave of its own accord.

I grew up in country NSW, spent lots of time on farms and did lots of bush walking - I have seen hundreds of snakes in my time and have never had to kill one.

They are part of the Aussie bush and they help control vermin, snakes are awesome.
Grotburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2010, 2:04 PM   #42
mshagg
Politburo

^ yes i believe that, statistically speaking, your best bet is to try and pick up a brown snake (that is, if you want to die from a snake bite).

See them all the time out MTBing, dont even tend to think about them twice now... get the bike up in the air, keep focus on entry to next corner lol.
mshagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2010, 2:23 PM   #43
rockofclay

Growing up on a mallee farm, I had a lot of experience with tigers/red bellies and especially king browns.

I'm surprised people here are saying they've been chased by red belly blacks, as I've only ever seen those things BOLT from anything.

I've only had one bad experience with a tiger snake, where it was SWIMMING directly towards our group (Swimming snakes are freaky as!), but that was probably unintentional. Otherwise, no chasing!

Browns on the other hand, I've seen a million but I've been chased twice. Both times I got a little too close without noticing. Those bastards get huge too!

I'm told that the reason taipans are such a big deal is they are aggressive. All I know is that I'm just glad they're not in Vic.
rockofclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2010, 4:59 PM   #44
the_fuzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandez View Post
Leading me to believe that stories about snakes 'chasing' people are pure unadulterated bullshit. As usual Revenge is on the money.
In one of the old Steve Irwin shows he talks about and then shows it happening to himself (fuck he was a clown) - King browns do chase - if steve says it's true - it must be
Old 4th March 2010, 5:31 PM   #45
fabricator

Yeah we have had two brown snakes, the baby one (1ft long) was simply chased into a big plastic rubbish bin and dumped out in the bush somewhere to live another day, the 6ft long one though....

Well the big one was the worlds dumbest snake, it practically killed itself. We had this long, thin, rather heavy object resting on some wooden blocks and other junk. For reasons best known to itself the snake decided to slither underneath, not the brightest move when the wider part of its body got to the middle of the object and knocked some of the blocks out sideways.

So we go outside and there is the head of a brown snake sticking out from under the end of this rather heavy item, looking rather annoyed. At first I thought it was another baby till I spotted some of the huge coils underneath everything.

While we were pondering if there is a safe way to drag this mass off the snake to release it, the stupid thing thrashes around some more dislodging a long wooden block holding up most of the weight. Thusly bringing the entire mass down onto its neck. Really angry after that, the back half way trashing around like crazy, so the head and any other bits of snake we could get to got chopped off and left overnight to make sure it was properly dead.

As as I said, stupid wild life practically killed itself. There were some nasty gashes on the bit of snake underneath all that junk, and it wasn't anything we did.
fabricator is offline   Reply With Quote