Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Pets & Animals

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 6th March 2010, 6:57 PM   #46
caspian

snakes located on my property will be dead snakes, laws be damned.

Please do not contact me directly for advice on NBN related issues. Your ISP is your contact point for support. If they can't or more likely won't help you, why are you rewarding them with your business?
caspian is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 19th March 2010, 12:49 PM   #47
Mr_Sparkle

Snakes are very misunderstood, friendly creatures. When they bite you they are really just hugging you with their mouths .
Old 21st March 2010, 11:20 AM   #48
GTR27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch01 View Post
You cant use that as proof.

There is no one "deadliest snake in the world".
There is no "most venomous" either.
There IS however a way that snakes can be classified based on the intensity, and the toxicity of its venom.

Whilst one snake might not be that potent in terms of venom, then amount administered, or the ferocity of the attack might be lethal.

Likewise a snake might administer a small amount of venom, that is far more lethal in smaller doses.

Then there is the consideration of the type of toxicity in the venom. Is it a neuro or a necro toxin, does it cause clotting, does it cause muscle fatigue, does it cause fever?

There are so many questions around this type of thing, it is impossible to ascertain "the deadliest snake in aus".

Having said all this when all the factors are put together the Elapidae species of snakes, has the highest amount of deadly snakes out of any snake species.

Generally the Inland Tapian (fierce snake), Eastern Brown, and King Brown are the 3 deadliest in Australia though.

Good reading here about the LD50 toxicity scale: http://members.iinet.net.au/~bush/myth.html
There are many flaws in that link. Not only does it not take into account medical facilities of a country, access to those facilities. Africa? South America? Most of India/Sri Lanka? They are 3rd world countries with overpopulation and poor medical facilities to MOST of the population. Of course a snake bite there is going to be lethal when you cant get treatment for it.

We DO have the most venomous (lethality of the toxin)snakes in the world (but not always the most agressive), but we also have a very large, sparsely populated country with good access to medical aid which means that we dont have very many deaths from snakebite because you simply don't come across snakes all that often, and if you were bitten, chances are you will get the aid required to recover from it.

My advice, stay away from snakes if possible. If not and its threatening pets/kids/family, cut its head off and be done with it. part of living here. No need to brag about it and cop a fine.
Old 29th March 2010, 12:04 PM   #49
Hom3br3w

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmack View Post
I had a bit of a trawl today and found Parramatta Council has a maximum fine around $5700 and somewhere else the max was $11,000. Where would I get a definitive figure?

Plenty of sites say they are all protected, but can't find anything listed as to what happens if you get caught shovelling one to death in your yard.

I live on 5 acres and have a few tigers around. Never will kill one.
I read somewhere that in Australia there are something like 7 snakes for every hectare of land (not sure if this includes built up areas tho).
"Hey, Clive, how, uh, are ya? Yeah. Yeah. It's, ah, Tony. Look, ah, we need a, uh, distraction soon. Yeah. Uh. Swan's about to deliver his, ah, budget, and, uh, it'd be great if you could, uh, say somethin, uh, batshit insane again. Uh."
50,000,000 Points folded for OCAU Addicted to Folding member #1337
Hom3br3w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2010, 1:49 PM   #50
wolfmanoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3br3w View Post
I read somewhere that in Australia there are something like 7 snakes for every hectare of land (not sure if this includes built up areas tho).
People don't realise how widespread snakes are as they are mainly shy.
I remember reading reports of snakes in the CBD Melbourne.
My motto is leave them alone & they'll leave you alone..it's worked so far with encounters with agro browns, shy tigers the works.
Successful trades with:- Linton; Screwball; comtechman911; i4560011: Megadrive; Mshake; Squallffaus; PiNoY; pipsqeek; func; TheAnswer ;impact_player; Schneider; Lanton; DigiMAN; Willo; rival; oliverconnell; iceman; jmack111; neilz; scotty1991; nogi; kenf; fragwizard; De_Cruelz; Shinanigans; AzzKikr; PeppeX; PrawnBoy; Dembones; CustomX; samwise123; DracZ; Wii; MrFishy; vatofale; DracZ; Inspyah; tupac13099; Vegetarianator; Lozzie; blkvtir
wolfmanoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2010, 3:31 PM   #51
Hom3br3w

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmanoz View Post
People don't realise how widespread snakes are as they are mainly shy.
I remember reading reports of snakes in the CBD Melbourne.
My motto is leave them alone & they'll leave you alone..it's worked so far with encounters with agro browns, shy tigers the works.
I think that a lot off people would be quite supprised with the numbers of snakes there are in the metro area.

Having worked in the bush for the last five years (40Ha farm), I completly agree with your motto. Come to think of it there have only ever been two occasions that I have encountered an agro snake, the first being a brown snake that had got caught in a fence, and the other being another brown snake that I accidently ran over with a quad bike.
"Hey, Clive, how, uh, are ya? Yeah. Yeah. It's, ah, Tony. Look, ah, we need a, uh, distraction soon. Yeah. Uh. Swan's about to deliver his, ah, budget, and, uh, it'd be great if you could, uh, say somethin, uh, batshit insane again. Uh."
50,000,000 Points folded for OCAU Addicted to Folding member #1337
Hom3br3w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2016, 3:38 PM   #52
Amran

I live out past Wagga and stepped within about 50cm of a brown this morning, 2nd one (or same one) this week. He just slithered away not too bothered and I thought "Yep, just gotta leave em alone".

Then about 5 meters away he decides to turn around and come straight back at me, threw a chair at him and he veered off under my house. Just applied for my gun licence. I don't like killing things but I have 3 kids so if they are "in danger" it's a no brainer.

Folding@Home OCAU Dedication Award Hall of Fame
Amran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2016, 3:55 PM   #53
BurningFeetMan

Red Bellies are pretty chilled IMHO. I have them visiting our backyard, and like watching them go flat to absorb the heat from the pavement. From my experience a Red Belly has the same temperament as a blue tongue, just going about their way.

Brown snakes however. Fuck, I've never danced like I did the day when I jogged over the top of a baby brown snake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amran View Post
I live out past Wagga and stepped within about 50cm of a brown this morning, 2nd one (or same one) this week. He just slithered away not too bothered and I thought "Yep, just gotta leave em alone".

Then about 5 meters away he decides to turn around and come straight back at me, threw a chair at him and he veered off under my house. Just applied for my gun licence. I don't like killing things but I have 3 kids so if they are "in danger" it's a no brainer.
Exactly. Browns are akin to a red head suffering from small man syndrome. Just remember though that not all snakes are the same.

Last edited by BurningFeetMan; 3rd March 2016 at 4:01 PM.
BurningFeetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2016, 4:49 PM   #54
cbb1935
Unregistered / Not Logged In

Browns are crazy snakes. They come across as the short arse, aggressive gym junkie with roid rage, major anger management issues and a short fuse.

There was one a few houses down from my folks place when we were walking home from school. It was a fully grown adult of about 1.5m. Ended up having to call Aus Reptile Park and have them send someone as it was on some kids driveway (so he couldn't get inside his parents house) and was going at anyone who got within about 3-5m of it.

Most snakes shy away from danger, with (strangely) the exception being those with the most toxic venom.
Old 3rd March 2016, 5:15 PM   #55
josh1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningFeetMan View Post
Red Bellies are pretty chilled IMHO. I have them visiting our backyard, and like watching them go flat to absorb the heat from the pavement. From my experience a Red Belly has the same temperament as a blue tongue, just going about their way.

Just remember though that not all snakes are the same.
I grew up on a farm and have had countless encounters with snakes. I was of agreement with your statement here (about Reds) until a few years ago. I was out shooting with my buddy, he was forward of me a bit but to the side. We were heading along a road on foot towards a rice paddy and saw a big Red. Left him alone and kept going. We got to the paddy and were letting off when my mate started squealing like a bitch (was not composed around snakes), the fucking thing had came up behind us from over 200m where we went past him to have a go! Now before you say we got too close and provoked it, we both crossed to the other side of the track and gave it a wide berth, the farmer I used to work for didn't like the reds being shot so we made sure to always steer clear of them.

Hers - i3 4170, Asus z87 Gryphon, 16gb DDR3, Evga GTX 960 4gb, 120gb SSD, 1tb HDD, Seasonic 760, Corsair 100r
josh1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2016, 10:24 AM   #56
WJR

I grew up on a farm too and snakes were kill on sight, in fact we had a .410 shotgun in the house especially for the task....anywhere else and we used a shovel. Even now I live in town I'll kill any snake on my property.
WJR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2016, 1:47 PM   #57
BurningFeetMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJR View Post
I grew up on a farm too and snakes were kill on sight, in fact we had a .410 shotgun in the house especially for the task....anywhere else and we used a shovel. Even now I live in town I'll kill any snake on my property.
I like the python in our roof, and can't see a benefit in killing it. Comes and goes with the seasons too, and sends the possums packing.
Old 18th June 2016, 5:11 PM   #58
caspian

python in the roof I can deal with, because it's not a bitey.

we also had an old SMLE converted to .410 for explaining the situation to snakes. generally a short conversation.

Please do not contact me directly for advice on NBN related issues. Your ISP is your contact point for support. If they can't or more likely won't help you, why are you rewarding them with your business?
caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2016, 6:24 PM   #59
BurningFeetMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmack View Post
What is the penalty for killing a snake?
A guilty conscious and the risk of being bitten!

We get blacks up our way, amazing creatures to watch. Just wish they'd kill the bloody feral cats already.
Old 6th July 2016, 12:08 PM   #60
MR CHILLED
D'oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amran View Post
Absolute no brainer afaic, family always comes first in this regard. Do what you have to do, and I don't think you would ever get fined for doing the right thing by your family in your own backyard.