nicholasporison is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 3rd September 2016, 8:00 PM   #62
MR CHILLED
D'oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasporison View Post
It's unethical and illegal
Sure, but when there is immediate danger in or around your own home well.....
Old 3rd September 2016, 8:36 PM   #63
Lasmi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR CHILLED View Post
Immediate and unavoidable danger. It doesn't matter if it's in your living room if you can walk away then you can't kill it. Don't like it? Move to the UK, Ireland or somewhere really cold.

Other than professionals there are also plenty of free, volunteer snake catchers around the country, though don't expect them to drop everything to come remove a python from the garden (most will probably, and rightly, say to leave it).
Lasmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2016, 6:43 AM   #64
MR CHILLED
D'oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasmi View Post
Immediate and unavoidable danger. It doesn't matter if it's in your living room if you can walk away then you can't kill it.
Most times people will be able to walk away. Not the point. If the snake is around the area (a house, backyard, etc) it presents a danger to those in that area. Again, I don't advocate for the killing of snakes, why would I, but when there is immediate danger around the home/etc, I don't so much have an issue with it's removal.
Old 5th September 2016, 6:19 PM   #65
nicholasporison

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR CHILLED View Post
Incase if you are in danger you must have right to kill
nicholasporison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2016, 6:44 PM   #66
Ratzz

I've also spent a lot of time living in the bush. Mind you, I have no doubt there is some kind of snake somewhere within 100m of our suburban Melbourne unit. Its just been around people for long enough to know it needs to avoid being seen.

There are basically two ways people get bitten by snakes, in this country at least and probably everywhere I would imagine.

1. They step on it or near it and it defends itself.

Solution.. watch where you walk and dress appropriately if you are going somewhere where this is a possibility. Bushwalking for instance.

2. They attack it and it defends itself.

Solution.. Leave the fucking thing alone. Unless its a dangerous snake and its living in your immediate area rather than just passing through, it isn't and never was a threat to you. If you feel it IS living around you, then get an expert to deal with it.

Snakes do not hunt people. Snakes do not randomly attack people.

Just let them go about their business. They keep the vermin down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by seizium View Post
I did visit the NBN van today at Westfields North Lakes, but their internet connection wasn't working so they couldn't give me any information
My Rig
Ratzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2016, 8:27 PM   #67
WJR

Yeah but the problem with snakes, in areas I've lived, is that they will fuck you up and some varieties like browns will go out of their way to do it.

I'll never forget one day out hunting I was walking through an eroded gully and put 1 foot up on the bank to step out the other side and for some reason I happened to look down and there between my feet was a tiger snake

I swear I levitated like in the freakin' matrix movie, I'll never move that fast again I reckon
WJR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2016, 9:40 AM   #68
Revenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJR View Post
I'll never forget one day out hunting I was walking through an eroded gully and put 1 foot up on the bank to step out the other side and for some reason I happened to look down and there between my feet was a tiger snake

I swear I levitated like in the freakin' matrix movie, I'll never move that fast again I reckon
You know that somewhere, there is a tiger snake that tells the story of the day it was just happily sunning itself in a little gully when some huge fucking thing came and stomped itself down either side of it... It swears it shat itself and took off like something out of some reptilian movie and it'll never move that fast again

The snake was probably more scared of you than you were of it.. to a snake your movements were probably akin to a bird of prey coming down to snatch it up for a feed.
Old 16th September 2016, 7:26 AM   #69
MR CHILLED
D'oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJR View Post
Yeah but the problem with snakes, in areas I've lived, is that they will fuck you up and some varieties like browns will go out of their way to do it.
They certainly can get extremely aggressive.
Old 18th October 2016, 9:38 AM   #70
Unframed

I've had a lot of run in's with snakes. For the most part I see no harm in them being around. I've especially had numerous run-ins with red belly's. Their temperament is calm and they are only ever aggressive when cornered or provoked (as my poor 15yo dog found out when he tried to protect our backyard).

Browns, eastern especially are very jumpy and quick to bite. I've had a few close encounters but never anything where I was in danger, they are very narrow visioned though in the sense that you can't scare them off. I remember my mother tried throwing a coke bottle and a chair at one that wanted to sun itself on her patio and it just went over the objects with zero care and did what it wanted. Another prime example is when I was watching a Neville Burns dangerous snake (show?). He was discussing the that the only snake of his he doesn't trust is his brown snake, he always takes extra precautions with it. When he took it out of the bag the first thing it did was take off and start climbing the barrier - was pretty impressive seeing a snake so flighty.
CoolerMaster CM Storm Stryker | AMD R7 1700 w/ Masterliquid 240 | ASRock X370 Fatal1ty | Sapphire RX Vega 64 Liquid | Samsung 840 120GB, Kingston Savage 480GB, Samsung 840 Evo 240GB, 2x 3TB Seagate | 32GB G.Skill 2400MHz | SteelSeries Apex M500/SteelSeries Rival 700 | Enermax Revolution87+ 1000W | LG 34UM88C, 2x Dell U2211H
Unframed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2016, 10:23 AM   #71
miicah

There is a facebook group for our suburb/area and the amount of people on there who bitch about snakes is ridiculous. Bitch, you moved to a suburb surrounded by bushland, what did you think was going to happen?

CS:GO Videos | Motorcycle Videos
miicah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2016, 10:32 AM   #72
Zee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke87 View Post
Yeah when snakes *want* to be dangerous, they will be...other times they are scared of you and "run" hehe :P

I once had either a taipan or a red belly, 5-6ft long, dash out of bushes with its head up and chase myself and 5 friends out of a creek ... twas' scary-funny :P

Other times you will just run into a snake and its like "Mang, just going about my day" e.g. walking home from said creek, brownie with its head up off the ground and I was about to step on it...my friend potentially saved my life that day.
Had a few interesting ones in my years. Had a tiger take a strike whilst we were on our bikes as kids, didn't see it in the long grass, and we obviously scared the shit out of it.

I also seem to have startled a rattle snake whilst hiking on a trail in California, it reared up and rattled, I backed off, and it lowered down and slid off into the bushes. They really do sound cool...

Z...