OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Pets & Animals

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 31st May 2008, 11:26 AM   #136
Falkor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andres View Post
Can anyone tell me how a bolivian ram (2) would go in a planted tank? Are they diggers or get into the plants much?

They seem like they'd be a nice choice as an 'interesting cichlid' but still can go in a community tank without causing too much grief.
They don't touch plants at all or dig

I have 2 in my planted 2ft and they don't touch a thing, All in all they are great little fish which I would highly recommend.

Peaceful, colourful, hardy etc

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 31st May 2008, 11:47 AM   #137
japes

I've got 3 in "my" planted 5 foot and they don't dig or touch plants, and never even look at different species of fish. They're actually all quite aggressive towards eachother, a lot of chasing and ramming, but they never do any damage to each other, have never seen a ripped fin or any scale damage, so I'm not really concerned. Great looking little fish that are entertaining to watch.
japes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2008, 2:06 PM   #138
Falkor

Quote:
Originally Posted by japes View Post
I've got 3 in "my" planted 5 foot and they don't dig or touch plants, and never even look at different species of fish. They're actually all quite aggressive towards eachother, a lot of chasing and ramming, but they never do any damage to each other, have never seen a ripped fin or any scale damage, so I'm not really concerned. Great looking little fish that are entertaining to watch.
Yep I agree with that as well. Mine bicker between each other every now and then but they don't get stressed about it and there is no damage at all.
Old 1st June 2008, 7:01 PM   #139
Andres
Motor Admin

When a fish is said to like 'hard' water, is that referring to carbonate hardness (KH) ?

From what I gather, having C02 added to the tank brings up the KH a bit right?

Is it possible to have soft water with C02 controlling pH?

Tossing around the idea of some Apistos now. Maybe Borelli or Cacatouides. Otherwise Blue or German Blue Rams.
But they all the South Americans seem to prefer softer, acidic water. But if the pH is brought down with C02, then I'm thinking the KH will go up?!?!?

(It's a lot of work trying to plan out the inhabitants properly!)
Andres is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2008, 8:37 AM   #140
Andres
Motor Admin

The local shop ended up ordering some Blue Rams as apparently myself and a few others had asked about them. So will hopefully get a pair on the weekend.

I've dropped the pH of the tank from 7 -> 6.6 over the last 2 weeks or so to suit the South American-ish theme I'm heading towards. Only issue it Jager heater is set at 26, but stick on thermometer says 29 (which is a tad high). So need another thermometer to suss out what's really happening.

KH was ~3.5 mid this week, but think I might need a GH kit to see what general hardness is like.
Old 6th June 2008, 10:07 AM   #141
Grizz_li

Quote:
Only issue it Jager heater is set at 26, but stick on thermometer says 29 (which is a tad high). So need another thermometer to suss out what's really happening.
Did you calibrate the thermometer?
Grizz_li is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2008, 6:11 PM   #142
kr0nic

Quote:
When a fish is said to like 'hard' water, is that referring to carbonate hardness (KH) ?

From what I gather, having C02 added to the tank brings up the KH a bit right?

Is it possible to have soft water with C02 controlling pH?

Tossing around the idea of some Apistos now. Maybe Borelli or Cacatouides. Otherwise Blue or German Blue Rams.
But they all the South Americans seem to prefer softer, acidic water. But if the pH is brought down with C02, then I'm thinking the KH will go up?!?!?

(It's a lot of work trying to plan out the inhabitants properly!)

Yea soft water usually refers to a low GH (general hardness), theres a freakin lot of science to it all and icant be assed learning it lol. Just use some peat moss to lower the water hardness, thats what i did for my apistos. After lowering the water hardness and ph they spawned so they must of been happy

Successful Trades - sammy_b0i, Reetzy
OCAU Extreme Cooling Club H2O Member
kr0nic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2008, 7:49 PM   #143
Andres
Motor Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz_li View Post
Did you calibrate the thermometer?
The thermometer is 'as is' from the store. Not sure whether the stick on thermometer is better than the calibration of the Jager. Guess I need a second thermometer to confirm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kr0nic View Post
Yea soft water usually refers to a low GH (general hardness), theres a freakin lot of science to it all and icant be assed learning it lol. Just use some peat moss to lower the water hardness, thats what i did for my apistos. After lowering the water hardness and ph they spawned so they must of been happy
Hmm ok. Can the peat moss go in the canister? The tank is pretty small (~150L) and is pretty full with 'gear' allready. pH I've lowered via C02 so should be spot on (and recently re-calibrated the pH meter too).

Japes - I noticed in this post you suggested the OP get 3 rams - why is that? I was under the impression Rams will pair off, and unless they're crazy 'swinger' rams that don't mind a little menage et trois, wouldn't multiple of 2's be better?

Last edited by Andres; 7th June 2008 at 8:11 AM.
Old 8th June 2008, 2:18 PM   #144
Andres
Motor Admin

Got another thermometer, and it seems the heater's thermostat is out of whack. Not that it terribly matters, and now I'm confident in the thermostat on the tank's readout. (28 degrees)

Picked up 4 Blue Rams yesterday. We aimed for 2 females and 2 males, based purely on whether they had reddish bellies (females). Couldn't use size as a determinate, as they fairly inconsistent in size, red belly or otherwise.

They've made it through the first night with the Angel from Hell (oxymoron?) so I think they should be able to look after themselves. There's a fair bit of plant and hiding places, so hopefully they should be fine.

They're pretty small, but have cool fins that they flare up, and nice bright red eyes. The blue seems to show up more when there is a bit of sunlight in the room, so don't know if its about angle of light, or the spectrum that the T8s put out?

I really hope they settle down and eventully breed a little, the guy at the shop was pretty eager to get some customers bringing in decent fish, as its a relatively new store...

Need to look into peat moss asap too. Hopefully it can be intergrated into the canister as another 'media'.
Old 8th June 2008, 2:24 PM   #145
japes

Quote:
Need to look into peat moss asap too. Hopefully it can be intergrated into the canister as another 'media'.
Sure can be, I also need to look into it.
Old 11th June 2008, 8:03 AM   #146
Vassili

For christs sake, 2 dried up shrimp on the top of my lids. They got through the 2cm gap on the end of the tank, slippery little suckers. Guess they will go to extremes to stay away from the clown loaches
Vassili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2008, 10:37 AM   #147
k_sheep

Ahhh trying to register for fishforums.com.au, tried about 10 different usernames, all disallowed. Sick of retyping passwords and the spam prevention letters Giving up. Bah.
Old 11th June 2008, 11:03 AM   #148
japes

Hey guys.

The new look QLDAF was released last week. Great resource for QLD fish keepers, especially the trading section,
Old 11th June 2008, 11:52 AM   #149
Falkor

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_sheep View Post
Ahhh trying to register for fishforums.com.au, tried about 10 different usernames, all disallowed. Sick of retyping passwords and the spam prevention letters Giving up. Bah.
I hang around, ausfishforum.com

Different, also fishforums.net is really big, full of good info. Its not aussie tho.
Old 11th June 2008, 1:18 PM   #150
yoda123

Looks good Japes, I might post my journal over there too
yoda123 is offline   Reply With Quote