Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Pets & Animals

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 12th May 2008, 11:00 AM   #16
JaC

Does anyone know of anywhere I can get some good low pressure solenoid valves? The ones Bunnings stocks work, but there is far too much pressure/flow drop.

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 12th May 2008, 10:45 PM   #17
japes

Picked up my Geophagus araguari yesterday, have settled in quite well and have eaten scraps. As I said before (I think), these guys have replaced my Female Blue Acara and 2 Male Keyhole Cichlids. The Blue Acara was sold, and the 2 Keyholes now reside happily in the 75G 5' "Planted" tank.

Obligatory photos, tank needs a bit of a clean though.

Full tank, had to fully replace all of my driftwood after catching the fish, which ended up being a puzzle piece.

The three of them, still not fully settled, as you can see they're not really showing their orange heads yet, just slight hints of it. One of my Heckelii poking his or her head in on the right.

Left and Right are Males I believe.

Males, these were the two most sub-dominant, wasn't allowed to take the breeders single dominant male from the batch as he was keeping it for himself, was a stunning fish.

Female

As you can see they're still pretty stressed after the move which took a couple of hours yesterday. They've eaten scraps that have sunk down to them and have sifted a little sand but nothing major yet, my little Altifrons trying to bully them doesn't really help the situation either but I'm sure they'll be good as gold in a couple of days.

Last edited by japes; 12th May 2008 at 10:48 PM.
japes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2008, 10:51 PM   #18
Zoiks Thread Starter

Wow looks awesome. I really wish I could have a bigger tank but my budget cant expand enough to include new tank/heater/chiller/pump/filter/fish

Who would be the best person to listen to on the topic of climate science?
Zoiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2008, 10:55 PM   #19
japes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoiks View Post
Wow looks awesome. I really wish I could have a bigger tank but my budget cant expand enough to include new tank/heater/chiller/pump/filter/fish
Cheers, believe me, once you get hooked like myself and a few of the other guys who lurk on here, you'll uncontrollable splash out way more than you can afford on aquarium and fish related goodies

I'm not a victim of Multiple Tank Syndrome yet, purely because I have absolutely no room to put another tank at the moment, so I consider myself sort of lucky
Old 13th May 2008, 1:16 AM   #20
RHCP

Just curious what people do for quarantine purposes, for fish and plants (when bought or caught from a river).

Cheers, RHCP.
RHCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2008, 1:19 AM   #21
Zoiks Thread Starter

Generally you just store them in a different tank for a week or 2 and see if they show signs of disease or sickness

Who would be the best person to listen to on the topic of climate science?
Zoiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2008, 3:52 AM   #22
JaC

Quote:
Originally Posted by japes View Post
Picked up my Geophagus araguari yesterday, have settled in quite well and have eaten scraps. As I said before (I think), these guys have replaced my Female Blue Acara and 2 Male Keyhole Cichlids. The Blue Acara was sold, and the 2 Keyholes now reside happily in the 75G 5' "Planted" tank.

Obligatory photos, tank needs a bit of a clean though.

[IM]http://www.darrenpack.com/random/jptank/may12/fulltank.jpg[/IMG]

Full tank, had to fully replace all of my driftwood after catching the fish, which ended up being a puzzle piece.

[IM]http://www.darrenpack.com/random/jptank/may12/araall.jpg[/IMG]

The three of them, still not fully settled, as you can see they're not really showing their orange heads yet, just slight hints of it. One of my Heckelii poking his or her head in on the right.

Left and Right are Males I believe.

[IM]http://www.darrenpack.com/random/jptank/may12/ara1.jpg[/IMG]

[IM]http://www.darrenpack.com/random/jptank/may12/ara3.jpg[/IMG]

Males, these were the two most sub-dominant, wasn't allowed to take the breeders single dominant male from the batch as he was keeping it for himself, was a stunning fish.

[IM]http://www.darrenpack.com/random/jptank/may12/ara2.jpg[/IMG]

Female

As you can see they're still pretty stressed after the move which took a couple of hours yesterday. They've eaten scraps that have sunk down to them and have sifted a little sand but nothing major yet, my little Altifrons trying to bully them doesn't really help the situation either but I'm sure they'll be good as gold in a couple of days.
Damn, cihlids are pussys. I haven't kept a cichlid colony or anything, but my angels are the biggest bunch of pussys. If you put your hand in the tank, they will sulk for a few hours at least. Good work fellas. You really are tough guys....idiot fish.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHCP View Post
Just curious what people do for quarantine purposes, for fish and plants (when bought or caught from a river).

Cheers, RHCP.

Make yourself a quarantine tank. Put new fish in it. If they act up before the quarantine time is up, they don't go in the main tank. If they're fine, they're ok to go in the tank. Of course, your quarantine time is up to you, as it is your tank you have to look after. 2 weeks is a good time for me, 4 weeks if I'm being anal. Start with 4 weeks as a Q period and decrease as the confidence in the source of your stocks increases.
Old 13th May 2008, 9:20 AM   #23
Urban_Jungle

When I lived in Sydney many years ago I had a separate tank which they went into which I dosed up with various med to kill everything but the fish. I found the biggest issue was gill fluke or whatever they are called. Bitch of a parasite as the fish out of the creeks are generally able to handle them so even though they looked health they weren't. Stick them in your main tank and all hell breaks loose.

Living where I do now I get all my fish/yabbies from Thirlmere Lakes. These lakes are so clean. I figure if it is good enough to drink and everything in it is healthy you are pretty safe. Now I just catch them and chuck them in. I suggest you really check out anywhere you get anything live from. Take nets down and scope around the edges and in other dark places looking for nasties plus give it the full water test first. May save you heaps of money from lost fish if you take a few precautions first.
Urban_Jungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2008, 9:41 AM   #24
yoda123

Quote:

Cheers, RHCP.
I will quarantine for 4 - 6 weeks at least. Marine is abit trickier to treat as you need to get the fish out of the display tank as the treatments can kill all of your corals.

This proves hard as with quite alot of live rock in the tank its very difficult to catch some fish, so the extra quarantine time is well worth it.
yoda123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2008, 11:05 AM   #25
japes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaC View Post
Damn, cihlids are pussys. I haven't kept a cichlid colony or anything, but my angels are the biggest bunch of pussys. If you put your hand in the tank, they will sulk for a few hours at least. Good work fellas. You really are tough guys....idiot fish.....
Yeah, personable fish suck, damn those living animals with feelings! I think you'll find you're making a very large presumption there, there aren't too many large Midas/RD keepers who don't finish a tank clean without their hands bleeding..

Regarding quarantine, 4 weeks is generally the recommended time as most parasites or symptons will become visible in this time frame. If you need to treat something, add another 4 weeks.
Old 13th May 2008, 12:05 PM   #26
Oosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaC View Post
Damn, cihlids are pussys. I haven't kept a cichlid colony or anything, but my angels are the biggest bunch of pussys. If you put your hand in the tank, they will sulk for a few hours at least. Good work fellas. You really are tough guys....idiot fish......
Wow. There's only about 2,000 Cichlid species out there (several hundred of which are in the trade) and you feel qualified to comment on the temperament of all of them after keeping Angels? Nice.

For one, my Sulphur Peacock (Aulonocara maylandi) is one of the calmer species, but he'll still hand feed if I can be bothered with it.
Old 13th May 2008, 12:13 PM   #27
Sir Ghallahad

Quote:

Cheers, RHCP.
I don't do any sort of quarantine. I probably should, as marine fish can catch white spot at the drop of a hat. I simply don't have the room or resources. I just make sure I check out the fish before I buy and get them from reputable stores.
Sir Ghallahad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2008, 1:42 PM   #28
Grizz_li

Hey aquarium talk
I've just recently aquired a small 28L tank from a fellow OCAU member.
10 days ago I visited my local aquarium on starting up purchases and equipment.

Purchased:
-small air pump
-55W heater
-white gravel
-water conditioner solution
-biological filtration booster solution
Total: $55

The tank already came with an under gravel filtration system.
I was told to run the water with the 2 solutions for at least 1 week without fish.
I'm on my 10th day waiting. Been thinking about getting 4 guppies.
If anyone can offer any additional advice for a newbie like me it'll be greatly appreciated.
On top of the 4 guppies, been eyeing some other small fish such as angelfish, algae eater, black ghost, neons, peacock cichlids. Of course they are not all gonna fit in the tank. So if anyone knows what will go together with what, that'll be great. Looking and hoping more than 4 guppies can be kept.

Heres a pic of the current setup:

Water's been kept at 25-26 degrees Celcius as been showing on a separate thermometer on the tanks glass not just the heater itself.
Grizz_li is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2008, 3:59 PM   #29
h45e

I would put the air hose at the back of the tank and not the front.. other than that.. looks good.
h45e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2008, 4:58 PM   #30
k_sheep

I've got 2 of the same 28L tank, ripped out the UGF after about a week, found it to be totally useless. I now use a little internal cannister filter, works well.