Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Pets & Animals

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 21st May 2008, 5:09 AM   #61
RHCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz_li View Post
Thanks for the heads up japes.
I've looked high and low and did not find a good definite answer.
I just add flakes or pellets to my tank, seems to work - some people place a prawn inside a stocking and throw it in.

Here's a pic of my tank towards the end of a water change....i now use my Laing DDC watercooling pump to change water

Click to view full-sized image!
Hosted by UGBox Image Store

Cheers, RHCP.

P.S. Have to start upping my fertiliser dosage - it's hard when i only see the tank on the weekends.

Last edited by RHCP; 21st May 2008 at 5:11 AM.
RHCP is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 21st May 2008, 9:10 AM   #62
Falkor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilhomer View Post
Does anyone know where to source a good range of freshwater tropical fish in the western sydney area?
Where abouts in Western Sydney?

I know a few places from Blacktown to Penrith to Windsor
Old 21st May 2008, 9:39 AM   #63
Evilhomer

Any of those areas is fine, im pretty much central to all of them!
Successful Trades: sanousie, trevdav, Rickster, Rogue, argent, triggerhippie, tha_defiler, supraman, troll, !JonZap!, kung-f00-kamel, ShaneBrooks, WasabiE, aokman, mickeylieu, heslo, Stunt, Chocco, [NS]Rommel, i286, BiRDBRAiN, TerminalVeloCD, tgenesis, freaky_beeky, Bennys4mg

Panda
Evilhomer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2008, 11:18 AM   #64
Grizz_li

Theres one across Kingswood station that was selling everything in the shop. I think they may be closing down. Haven't been inside. Just go past on the way to uni.

This is their recent eBay sale I came across while searching for a fish tank. They were selling 42 in 1 lot.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....:X:RTQ:AU:1123

Last edited by Grizz_li; 21st May 2008 at 11:22 AM. Reason: url
Grizz_li is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2008, 12:08 PM   #65
Falkor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilhomer View Post
Any of those areas is fine, im pretty much central to all of them!
Ok Then

The best place is in Windsor, South Windsor Fish Hatchery has a big range and the guy is really helpful there. He will order anything in for you etc

In Blacktown, Strictly Aquariums on Third Ave is alright but pretty commercial.

There is an Aquamart at St martins village which is on the Prospect Highway. Not hard to spot. There is another fish place at the other end of St martins village as well but I forget its name. They are quite good, seem to often have some rare fish that I don't see elsewhere.

Also on Fourth Ave in Blacktown there is a pet & produce place. They have a big range of fish. Pretty good prices too but I question the quality sometimes. Bought a few things there though and haven't had any issues. Lots of cichlids etc.

Lastly, in Blacktown on Lock st is a LFS that has been there for decades. Quite a good range. looks a little dingy though.

You can also go to St Mary's pet store on the GWH. Or Up to Kellyville Pets. Both are quite big.
Old 22nd May 2008, 8:45 AM   #66
Vassili

So, one of my glass baffles was 40mm too tall, and, not wanting to drive out to the aquarium shop just for that, I thought "how hard can it be?" and bought a glass cutter.... Id have pics of my progress, but I havent had the net for the last fortnight, and can only get on here at work. Just need to build my overflow and silicone in my baffles and ill be done
Vassili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2008, 9:04 AM   #67
yoda123

So how did you go, always been too scared to cut glass myself and I have a glazier just down the road from me.
yoda123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2008, 9:12 AM   #68
Vassili

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda123 View Post
So how did you go, always been too scared to cut glass myself and I have a glazier just down the road from me.
Well, I already had a big tradesmans set square, so sat down and followed the instructions to the letter. One firm, straight, even score from edge to edge. Placed the glass over the edge of the table, applied light pressure and.....fuck. It broke along the score for about half of the distance, then sheared off down through the middle of the section of glass I needed to keep Ah well, it was only an $8 experiment. Time to get another $10 baffle hah.
Old 24th May 2008, 11:55 PM   #69
kr0nic

Fucking devostated

Woke up today checked out my tanks and i find both my discus in my 4foot tank dead

All other fish perfectly fine, every level i could test for was perfect, temperature was fine :S

Got no idea what went wrong, but thats about $250 worth of fishes dead

Successful Trades - sammy_b0i, Reetzy
OCAU Extreme Cooling Club H2O Member
kr0nic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2008, 12:01 AM   #70
japes

Fuck dude, that sucks. I presume they had a healthy appetite prior to the sudden death?
japes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2008, 12:49 AM   #71
RHCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kr0nic View Post
All other fish perfectly fine, every level i could test for was perfect, temperature was fine :S
I'm sorry for your loss, when you take this hobby seriously losing fish is a real kick in the guts.

Was it a co2 setup?

I had a close call when i found a bala getting stuck in plants and falling over. At this time i had an air pump which ran while the lights were off, it was kept in the SAME cupboard as the co2 tank. I presume there was a leak --> co2 pooling at the bottom near the pump. I threw in some spare airstones and it lived, but if i had came in a few hours later when the lights were on and the pump off, i dare say the co2/ph level would have equalised and there would have been little indication of what happened.

RHCP.
RHCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2008, 12:53 PM   #72
kr0nic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHCP View Post
I'm sorry for your loss, when you take this hobby seriously losing fish is a real kick in the guts.

Was it a co2 setup?

I had a close call when i found a bala getting stuck in plants and falling over. At this time i had an air pump which ran while the lights were off, it was kept in the SAME cupboard as the co2 tank. I presume there was a leak --> co2 pooling at the bottom near the pump. I threw in some spare airstones and it lived, but if i had came in a few hours later when the lights were on and the pump off, i dare say the co2/ph level would have equalised and there would have been little indication of what happened.

RHCP.

Yea thanks guys, losing fish sucks.
It was a pressurised co2 setup so that could of been it, i guess ill try and look on the bright side.... now i can try putting some rainbow fish in the tank

Successful Trades - sammy_b0i, Reetzy
OCAU Extreme Cooling Club H2O Member
kr0nic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2008, 1:00 PM   #73
Vassili

Quote:
Originally Posted by kr0nic View Post
Fucking devostated

Woke up today checked out my tanks and i find both my discus in my 4foot tank dead

Got no idea what went wrong, but thats about $250 worth of fishes dead
Far out dude, that sucks. The joys of fish keeping, gah
Old 25th May 2008, 3:40 PM   #74
Evilhomer

Hello all, I've decided on the fish that i want to get for my setup ( 3ft x 18" x 12" Fresh water heated with an aquaone 700 canister filter)

The fish as follows:

6 x zebra danios ( already purchased for cycling)
3 x Angelfish
1 x bristle nose
3-5 x glass catfish
4 x dwarf gourami ( 2 x honey and 2 x blue)
2 x dwarf cockatoo cichilid

Just wondering if the tank will be able to handle the bio load, the biggest fish will be the angels I think.

Also what a decent brand of heater to handle about 140 litres? Atm im running 2 small aquaone heaters but they fluctuate too much.

Cheers.
Successful Trades: sanousie, trevdav, Rickster, Rogue, argent, triggerhippie, tha_defiler, supraman, troll, !JonZap!, kung-f00-kamel, ShaneBrooks, WasabiE, aokman, mickeylieu, heslo, Stunt, Chocco, [NS]Rommel, i286, BiRDBRAiN, TerminalVeloCD, tgenesis, freaky_beeky, Bennys4mg

Panda
Evilhomer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2008, 4:04 PM   #75
Grizz_li

I'm not an expert or anything close, but I've just bought a Jager 300W for my tank after being recommended highly from everyone.
Good investment as the glass doesnt crack.
http://www.youtube.com./watch?v=dbDFbcd8kA0
Grizz_li is offline   Reply With Quote