Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Pets & Animals

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 27th May 2008, 11:21 AM   #91
Vassili

I had 2 oscars, some a pleco, a biiig BGK, and a Texas. All one big happy family
Vassili is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 27th May 2008, 11:23 AM   #92
japes

Oscars are so popular because they're cheap, grow quickly, eat anything, and most importantly, are a 'wet pet'. Unfortunately, so many people don't realize how big (or messy) they get, and little Johnny buys one to put in his 2 foot tank.

If you're setting up a big tank there are plenty of alternatives too, and you'll find for their size, Oscars are one of the more mellow American Cichlids. Other big boys that don't pack much of a punch towards one another are exCichlasoma pearsei (one of my favourites) and exCichlasoma bocourti (exCichlasoma is a bit of a slush pit genus of fish that haven't been classified, but have been removed from the Cichlasoma genus.

A good (but vicious) "Wet Pet" is the Red Devil, too, but any American Cichlid that isn't skittish (Some Jack Dempsey's, Texas) and grows to 12" or above will be very personable.
japes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2008, 11:33 AM   #93
Falkor

I would prefer a mixed cichlid tank like yours japes to an oscar personally.

I am a big fan of Severums, they seem to very much fit the 'Gentle Giant' tag that has been given them

Edit: Also whenever I go to the LFS they all swim to the front of the tank and check me out hehe

Last edited by Falkor; 27th May 2008 at 11:40 AM.
Falkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2008, 1:29 PM   #94
japes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falkor View Post
I am a big fan of Severums, they seem to very much fit the 'Gentle Giant' tag that has been given them
Try telling that to my smaller male Severum who wouldn't hurt a fly, who gets the absolute pants beaten off him by my larger female

Old video from old tank layout and before I sold my Blue Acara and moved my Keyholes. My smaller Severum is actually quite a sook, and the larger one takes advantage of it. If he didn't run he wouldn't get beaten up, but he does. I've actually had to remove all of his hiding places so he's not crammed into tiny holes all day long until feeding time when he'd dart out, get some food, and go and hide again.

Thankfully he's being much more active but has some battlescars at the moment.

Last edited by japes; 27th May 2008 at 1:33 PM.
Old 27th May 2008, 1:31 PM   #95
Falkor

Aww.. they kissed
Old 27th May 2008, 6:29 PM   #96
Grizz_li

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang1 View Post
When you get your tank setup with a heater, you're supposed to calibrate it to the thermometer that you're using, setting it up or down etc. I don't own a Jager, but I believe that what you're doing there is adjusting the dial so that you can make it read the same as your thermometer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda123 View Post
Yeah you are supposed to calibrate them, however I didn't bother and just set them to the temps I want them to come on at.

I have a digital temp reader and my tank sits at a constant 26*C so im happy

Yeah I've just done that. After adjusting and letting it settle for over 10hrs and re-adjusting I think I've gotten the temps right now.
It now sits at 26 on the thermometer and 26 on the heater dial.

Thanks for the help. Btw how much is a digital thermometer? They look pretty neat.
Grizz_li is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2008, 7:24 PM   #97
JaC

You can pick them up for pretty cheap.

I have one of these
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/MARINA-AQUA-M...dZp1638Q2em122

I only use it as a digital thermometer with alarms for hi/lo temps, the other "functions" are pretty useless and a PITA. The alarm is good and loud though...maybe too loud. I have been threatened with castration if it goes off during the night
Old 27th May 2008, 7:35 PM   #98
yoda123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz_li View Post
Thanks for the help. Btw how much is a digital thermometer? They look pretty neat.
Mine came Free, with my $600 chiller (built into chiller)
yoda123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2008, 10:12 PM   #99
Grizz_li

Aheeh free?
So it takes the measurement from outside the glass right? Does that mean lesser accuracy too?
Old 28th May 2008, 1:29 AM   #100
japes

Got woken up last night (Monday Night) by a loud bang, got up, checked my tank and sump to make sure they weren't cracked, as you do when you keep a large aquarium and you're a paranoid freak, and went back to bed.

Heard a funny little noise tonight and decided to inspect, first by checking my tanks temperature, sitting at 24. Should be 26.

Check sump, why isn't heater on.

Notice huge crack.

My 200W AquaOne Heater has fucking exploded, it's definitely what I heard last night and not tonight, tonight might have just been it moving. It's not just cracked, the entire thing is split in half, thank god it hasn't leaked anything into my tank or electrocuted my fish (or me for that matter).

Have a backup AquaOne heater until I pickup a new Eheim Jager 300W on Thursday. Fucking worry though, hundreds of dollars worth of fish almost jeopardized by a $20 Heater.

Don't Cheap Out of Heaters, admittedly AquaOne are pretty good, but it isn't worth it, spend the extra $20 on one of the top quality ones that don't shatter, explode, or fuck up. Jager heaters are only $44 (online) for example. I've been planning on picking one up for weeks now as we approach winter but never got around to it.
Old 28th May 2008, 7:19 AM   #101
yoda123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz_li View Post
Aheeh free?
So it takes the measurement from outside the glass right? Does that mean lesser accuracy too?
It takes the measurement of the water flowing through the chiller before it enters the cooling section of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by japes View Post
Don't Cheap Out of Heaters
A-huh, not worth the amount of money you spend on everything to skimp out on a cheap heater !! I went straight up for the Jagers and cant be happier
Old 28th May 2008, 8:37 AM   #102
Oosh

I'm fairly certain you couldn't actually electrocute your fish that way unless they brushed up against exposed wiring. Plus didn't it trip any safety switches?
Old 28th May 2008, 9:13 AM   #103
yoda123

Not unless your tank is earthed no.

However if you put your hands in the tank....

Also the worry is not so much death from electrocution, more so death from temperature loss
Old 28th May 2008, 9:31 AM   #104
Grizz_li

Quote:
Originally Posted by japes View Post
My 200W AquaOne Heater has fucking exploded, ...
Have a backup AquaOne heater until I pickup a new Eheim Jager 300W on Thursday. Fucking worry though, hundreds of dollars worth of fish almost jeopardized by a $20 Heater.

Don't Cheap Out of Heaters, ...
OMG thats like the third Aqua One I've heard broke down and I only got into this hobby for less than a month.
Seriously I'm glad your fish are ok. Glad there isn't any glass in the tank too. I changed my Aqua One to Jager just earlier this week because I'm paranoid about something like this happening.
I bet it's the same feeling like not backing up your important data on your PC until its too late.
Old 28th May 2008, 10:58 AM   #105
Daft_Munt

Japes and the heater cracking, that is one reason why I prefer 2 smaller heaters than the one big one. To be honest I am not a fan of Aqua One products, I know a few guys that have had electric shocks from there tanks with the intergrated T5. Mind you I just retired a 5+ year old French made heater as the rubber looked a bit dodgey. Replaced with a Hagen.
Daft_Munt is offline   Reply With Quote