Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Pets & Animals

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 28th May 2008, 11:00 AM   #106
japes

Yeah you can't electrocute your fish if there is a leak in power because there isn't an earth. Problem is that when you touch the water, you are the earth. Zap!

Heater was in my sump, so no glass in the actual tank. I'm just glad it didn't leak anything. All fish survived the two colder nights so it's all good. I've always wanted to replace my heater because of nightmare stories like people returning home to find $1000's worth of fully mature fish floating on the surface of a 40 degree tank, I'm lucky I was given an un-lethal final warning.
japes is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 28th May 2008, 11:42 AM   #107
Daft_Munt

Default Turn Heaters off when doing a water change

On the topic of heaters, please unplug your heaters when doing a water change! The reason I say this I remember a horror story of someone cleaning a 6 x 2 x 2 only to have the heater crack and get electrocuted, his wife went to help, touched him and was throw a few metres and he bought his forearm through the front pane of glass and required 40 odd stitches.
Daft_Munt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2008, 11:53 AM   #108
japes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daft_Munt View Post
On the topic of heaters, please unplug your heaters when doing a water change! The reason I say this I remember a horror story of someone cleaning a 6 x 2 x 2 only to have the heater crack and get electrocuted, his wife went to help, touched him and was throw a few metres and he bought his forearm through the front pane of glass and required 40 odd stitches.
Easy mistake to make, especially with the heaters that aren't supposed to be fully submerged.

Question for those running Jagers, with the dry run shutoff is this perfect safe? Because of the monstorous size of a 300W one of these guys I'm thinking about running it horizontally along the top of my tank (safely under the water line of course). Will this be safe during water changes?

Unfortunately even 2x150W's won't fit in my sump.

Last edited by japes; 28th May 2008 at 12:00 PM.
Old 28th May 2008, 12:53 PM   #109
Oosh

There's always the option of Hydor inline heaters since you're running a sump but more $$$.
Old 28th May 2008, 2:57 PM   #110
Grizz_li

Yeah the 300W Jager is a massive heater. Longer than my 300W Aqua One.

I have it tilted as it couldnt fit vertically. Its fully submersible so I guess it does the same.

Still early stages of my tank. Bought a piece of driftwood that is still being soaked. Will wait a week or 2 before putting it in the tank.
Grizz_li is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2008, 3:06 PM   #111
Falkor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz_li View Post
I have it tilted as it couldnt fit vertically. Its fully submersible so I guess it does the same.
Pretty sure your supposed to mount them on an angle like that anyway, Or its recommended?
Old 28th May 2008, 3:10 PM   #112
R3Dl2ULZ

Quote:
I think ive got the same tank as you!

I used to have a piddly 60W or something heater in my tank. kept temps at the set level, but couldnt raise water temps at all. had to add heaps of hot water to warm the water up when i first started it out.

I like the tanks though. it looks good and works well, and its really easy and convenient..
The acrylic on mine got scratched on the inside a few times when gravel got caught in my algae scrubber magnet things..
R3Dl2ULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2008, 3:26 PM   #113
Grizz_li

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falkor View Post
Pretty sure your supposed to mount them on an angle like that anyway, Or its recommended?
I dunno In the diagram for my Aqua One, it showed standing up vertically. Some aquariums just drop their Jagers in the water without the suction cups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3Dl2ULZ View Post
I think ive got the same tank as you!
Aqua One AR980?

Call me paranoid but whenever I walk past the tanks I just double check on the temps in case it has malfunctioned.
Grizz_li is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2008, 3:42 PM   #114
Falkor

Quote:
Call me paranoid but whenever I walk past the tanks I just double check on the temps in case it has malfunctioned.
You should just get one of those electric thermometers with the alarms like on the last page
Old 28th May 2008, 7:07 PM   #115
k_sheep

Urrrrhhhhhhh heater horror stories. They're as long as your arm (if you had a really really really long arm).

Never, ever use anything but Jager (okay there's probably other good ones, but I don't know of them) on any fish you care about!!!! I'll never understand why people spend $500 on fish, and buy a $10 heater. Bah!

Okay, rant over.

My neolamp. caudopunctus just keep having babies. I've decided to start up a planted 2.5ft tank as a growout First attempt at a real planted tank (all my tanks have plants, but just anubias, val, swords etc). Wish me luck! (or share any advice )
Old 29th May 2008, 8:15 AM   #116
JaC

On the topic of heaters...has anyone got any experience with Hydor inline heaters?

http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/c...D=3236&catID=7

Thoughts/opinions/comments?

I've been running mine for 6 weeks now, no probs. Anyone had any longer term experience with them?
Old 29th May 2008, 1:37 PM   #117
japes

Picked up some NLS, a new heater (Aquarworld 300W ;( No Jagers in), and 250 more ultra-fandangled awesome highly durable bioballs, as well as some more mech media.

Got the Aquarworld 300W for $15 as a temp heater until the first week of July when me and some members of another forum are doing a Bayfish trip with awesome deals, prizes, giveaways, etc. and Jager heaters will be $40-45 apparently, so I'll wait a month instead of ordering online. I'll take the camera along to the trip (if I'm allowed) as it should be an awesome day.

Sump is now running 3 layers of standard AquaOne Micropad, 1 Layer of AquaOne Phosphate reducing Pad, and 1 50micron felt pad, as well as my whole chamber being chockers with bioballs (about 490 of them).
Old 29th May 2008, 1:40 PM   #118
yoda123

The Reef Shop is probably the cheapest place for Jager heaters I have found. $44 for a 300W heater.

Shipping is fast, I ordered on a Monday and the item was delivered to me Early Tues morning. Shop is in Victoria and im in Regional QLD so very happy with that
yoda123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2008, 1:52 PM   #119
japes

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda123 View Post
The Reef Shop is probably the cheapest place for Jager heaters I have found. $44 for a 300W heater.

Shipping is fast, I ordered on a Monday and the item was delivered to me Early Tues morning. Shop is in Victoria and im in Regional QLD so very happy with that
Yeah, I've bought a lot of stuff from TheReefShop but I'll just wait the month and get it for the same price without shipping, gives me a decent warranty too that way (ReefShop apparently doesn't like people claiming warranties too much).

I've got a good source for dry goods that will honour warranties and gives me products for wholesale value (straight off the order form), so I won't be shopping online much anymore, unless it's from AoA.
Old 29th May 2008, 2:04 PM   #120
johnamadeus

i bought stuff from The Reef Shop and did not receive the item and was also refused a refund. PM me for details if you like as any more could be seen as a vendor verdict (it probably is already... sigh...).