Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > General Topics > Overclocking & Hardware

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 31st August 2008, 12:22 AM   #16
Lardman Thread Starter

Cheers Eagle!
I'm drafting up a "Basic tips and tricks section, help me out with suggestions here.

Also... would it hurt to get this stickied once it's more complete?

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 31st August 2008, 12:35 AM   #17
Bold Eagle

Hasn't it been stickied yet? We definitely need something like this?

Obviously don't ask me about cable management.

Will think on more input.

Once a year wash your HS in "hot soapy water" and remove all the dust and gunk build up and then dry with a hair dryer, ensuring you wipe the base with Metho to displace any H20 before a re-seat. Make sure it is bone dry before using please.

Just noted my link for the Air mod run doesn't work in post 1 but it does still in my post 17?!?

Last edited by Bold Eagle; 31st August 2008 at 12:54 AM.
Bold Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2008, 1:16 AM   #18
Lardman Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bold Eagle View Post
Hasn't it been stickied yet? We definitely need something like this?
While we do, Not too sure what the stance of the mods are on this. I'll put it up in site discussion anyhow...

Fixed that link in the OP as well

EDIT: Hurrah Stickied! Will keep it updated.

Last edited by Lardman; 31st August 2008 at 2:41 PM.
Lardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2008, 12:23 AM   #19
Lardman Thread Starter

Just updated OP with some more GPU Reviews

(Who put the giant red text in?)

Also, should have some basic q&a done during the week for people.. (I procrastinate too much, lol.)

Put a specific topic section in, and the first of some useful info (Or at least what I think is useful)

Last edited by Lardman; 1st September 2008 at 1:41 AM.
Lardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2008, 6:36 AM   #20
MR CHILLED
D'oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lardman View Post
(Who put the giant red text in?)
Probably Ma Baker as per the SD thread.
Old 1st September 2008, 4:28 PM   #21
Bold Eagle

Would be nice if we could find a decent discussion on Quite Fans (dBA/cFM) and then list some of the better brands. Will keep my eye's open. I know Noctura have a good rep but just want to find some comparative reviews on them.

Increased Air Cooling shouldn't mean you have to go deaf in the process.

Last edited by Bold Eagle; 1st September 2008 at 4:30 PM.
Old 1st September 2008, 7:28 PM   #22
Lardman Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bold Eagle View Post
Would be nice if we could find a decent discussion on Quite Fans (dBA/cFM) and then list some of the better brands. Will keep my eye's open. I know Noctura have a good rep but just want to find some comparative reviews on them.

Increased Air Cooling shouldn't mean you have to go deaf in the process.
I know quite a few, I've just got to write-up about them. SPCR is a very good place for quiet fan reviews though.
Old 3rd September 2008, 12:26 AM   #23
Lardman Thread Starter

Added a few more reviews and threads from around the place.
I'm drafting out the basics section now as well. Contribute!

If you find something useful that could be added, post it! I'll stick it in.
Old 3rd September 2008, 10:44 AM   #24
Bold Eagle

Let's get some more builds posted. I've shown you mine with a previous worklog and will be lapping my CPU properly soon.
Old 3rd September 2008, 12:10 PM   #25
Supersize

What I've always wondered, Does it really help having a fan on the "roof" of your case.
I have a Thermaltake Armor case, and it has a fan on the top of the case. Does it really make a difference.

What also would be good in this thread is a OPTIMAL FAN PLACEMENT DIAGRAM, I'm trying to find one, but no luck. Though I have seen one before.

Oh and tips on cleaning your air cooling. I generally use caned air or air compressor on my Zalman. But it there better ways.

I'll take some pic, because my cable management sucks, but my temps never get any higher than 47c on a hot day here. And that's running stress test. It idles at 30c.
Supersize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2008, 12:27 PM   #26
Bold Eagle

Here's a fairly standard Airflow diagram that average builder's might have:

http://www.hardware.info/en-UK/artic..._67_casefans/2

IMHO mine is slightly better as the empty 5.25" bays have a 120mm fan as inlet directed straight towards my HS while the lower 120mm is for the graphics with a percentage heading to the CPU HS.

Fan on the roof of the case should be very good especially if you have a bottom mounted PSU (compared to top mounted), like this case which uses the top, rear 200mm fan as an exhaust;

http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=15900

But whether it should be inlet or outlet would depend on whether it is towards the front or rear of the case. You could experiment by using the fan as inlet and benching/stressing then using as exhaust and benching/stressing.

There can be great division in opinions on whether to vacuum or blow. Personally I use a vacuum because by blowing you may actually be forcing dust into crevices and voids where it can't escape and may actually accumulate over time which may cause damage at a later date (e.g. under Mosfets'). Don't want a flame war on blowing/sucking but that is my opinion. Personally I tape up any none used vents to minimise dust inflow potential.

Last edited by Bold Eagle; 3rd September 2008 at 12:35 PM.
Old 4th September 2008, 1:35 AM   #27
Lardman Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersize View Post
What I've always wondered, Does it really help having a fan on the "roof" of your case.
I have a Thermaltake Armor case, and it has a fan on the top of the case. Does it really make a difference.

What also would be good in this thread is a OPTIMAL FAN PLACEMENT DIAGRAM, I'm trying to find one, but no luck. Though I have seen one before.

Oh and tips on cleaning your air cooling. I generally use caned air or air compressor on my Zalman. But it there better ways.

I'll take some pic, because my cable management sucks, but my temps never get any higher than 47c on a hot day here. And that's running stress test. It idles at 30c.

Generally you want more air in than going out. Higher air pressure is generally more effective. In addition to that, it means your exhaust fans have less trouble and don't generate as much noise.

my current setup is 2x 140 + 1 120 in, 1 120 and 2x 140 (top) out.
The out 140mm's are on bare minimum, the 2 140 in's are at medium.
Old 4th September 2008, 2:47 AM   #28
Lem0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lardman View Post
Generally you want more air in than going out. Higher air pressure is generally more effective. In addition to that, it means your exhaust fans have less trouble and don't generate as much noise.

my current setup is 2x 140 + 1 120 in, 1 120 and 2x 140 (top) out.
The out 140mm's are on bare minimum, the 2 140 in's are at medium.
That's debatable.
The argument is that -ve pressure in a case will promote a constant flow of cool (outside) air into the case, while in a case with +ve pressure, the warm air can't exhaust at the same rate as cool air enters the case producing a "build up" of warm air. The differences in case temperature would very likely be negligible.
In both cases your fans would have "trouble" since a +ve pressure case will make it harder for your intake fans to push air into the case and as a result will also generate more noise.
The only thing I can see that sets -ve vs +ve pressure cases is that in a +ve pressure case, if you filter all your intake fans, then there will be a much lower dust build up.

I really don't think any of it matters overall compared to better heatsinks, increased airflow, it is a really small thing..
Old 4th September 2008, 10:16 PM   #29
Lardman Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lem0n View Post
That's debatable.
The argument is that -ve pressure in a case will promote a constant flow of cool (outside) air into the case, while in a case with +ve pressure, the warm air can't exhaust at the same rate as cool air enters the case producing a "build up" of warm air. The differences in case temperature would very likely be negligible.
In both cases your fans would have "trouble" since a +ve pressure case will make it harder for your intake fans to push air into the case and as a result will also generate more noise.
The only thing I can see that sets -ve vs +ve pressure cases is that in a +ve pressure case, if you filter all your intake fans, then there will be a much lower dust build up.

I really don't think any of it matters overall compared to better heatsinks, increased airflow, it is a really small thing..
That said, negative pressure also draws in alot more dust.
But yeah, airflow is minor but whatever you can do helps.
Old 5th September 2008, 8:00 PM   #30
the wip
Awaiting Email Confirmation

i love my air cooling.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=Ae8yghgYwJg

Dont bother with the Delta 4600rpm type fans unless it's in a basement because they are like a jet engine!

i think 3000rpm, high cfm fan is prob enough

Last edited by the wip; 5th September 2008 at 10:04 PM.
the wip is offline   Reply With Quote