Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > General Topics > Overclocking & Hardware

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 5th September 2008, 9:38 PM   #31
Bold Eagle

Lardman....*cough*....#cough#....pics of your rig......*cough*....*cough*. Damn don't be shy mine is a good mid-stream mod run. Wait till you see my new pics of the same system (no-case). I now have the spare bedroom and 2 desks .

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 5th September 2008, 9:53 PM   #32
chainbolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by the wip View Post
Dont bother with the Delts 4600rpm type fans unless it's in a basement because they are like a jet engine!

Right, I use a 6000 rpm Sanyo Denki 120x 35, full metal frame, industrial grade.
chainbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2008, 10:04 PM   #33
the wip
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by chainbolt View Post
Right, I use a 6000 rpm Sanyo Denki 120x 35, full metal frame, industrial grade.
6000! how loud is it man!?!?
the wip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2008, 10:09 PM   #34
chainbolt

Quote:
6000! how loud is it man!?!?
Extreme, not be used together with the living. Actually idiotic, but we are enthusiasts, aren't we?
Old 5th September 2008, 11:19 PM   #35
the wip

Quote:
Extreme, not be used together with the living. Actually idiotic, but we are enthusiasts, aren't we?
did you have to bury your rig in the backyard and use the hills-hoist for wireless?
Old 6th September 2008, 1:49 AM   #36
Lardman Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bold Eagle View Post
Lardman....*cough*....#cough#....pics of your rig......*cough*....*cough*. Damn don't be shy mine is a good mid-stream mod run. Wait till you see my new pics of the same system (no-case). I now have the spare bedroom and 2 desks .
xD I haven't had the chance, work etc.
Old 6th September 2008, 2:00 AM   #37
chainbolt

Quote:
did you have to bury your rig in the backyard and use the hills-hoist for wireless?
Actually I used the fan for maybe 30 minutes, could not stay in the same room, and even badly hurt myself when I came with my meaty fingers in the running blades, and then I retired the "thing". It was almost 90$ by the way.
Old 6th September 2008, 7:30 AM   #38
the wip

Quote:
Actually I used the fan for maybe 30 minutes, could not stay in the same room, and even badly hurt myself when I came with my meaty fingers in the running blades, and then I retired the "thing". It was almost 90$ by the way.

lol, i did the same, to the bone - 3 places on two fingers

Last edited by the wip; 9th September 2008 at 4:07 PM.
Old 9th September 2008, 6:52 AM   #39
Lardman Thread Starter

Quote:

Here you go you ASS :P

Lots of 140mm fans on low RPM to move an adequate amount of air, nothing too specical. The CPU helps pull air away from the 4850, and it also gets fresh air blowing onto it from a side panel.
Old 9th September 2008, 7:01 AM   #40
MR CHILLED
D'oh!

^^ Something I've still yet to do, move the fan from the side to the bottom.
Old 9th September 2008, 12:39 PM   #41
Bold Eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lardman View Post
Lots of 140mm fans on low RPM to move an adequate amount of air, nothing too specical. The CPU helps pull air away from the 4850, and it also gets fresh air blowing onto it from a side panel.
Love the cable management, have you tried rotating the HS 90 degrees to dump straight out the back or do you have a top exhaust there? Just wondering if the heat from the Video Acrds has an impact of the CPU's thermal potential?
Old 9th September 2008, 3:50 PM   #42
Lardman Thread Starter

Quote:
Love the cable management, have you tried rotating the HS 90 degrees to dump straight out the back or do you have a top exhaust there? Just wondering if the heat from the Video Acrds has an impact of the CPU's thermal potential?
Yeah, pulling the air out of the HR-03 raises temps by ~5 degrees. Still a nice 59 on load though, at damn quiet noise levels.

and dual 140s' on the top.
Old 9th September 2008, 8:05 PM   #43
scottath

Hey - nice thread Lardman

As above mentioned - the memory cooler thread is a good one for those pumping the volts into their ram.....

Not sure if i should post this bit here or make another thread....but anyhow:

My system atm:

Click to view full-sized image!
Hosted by UGBox Image Store

Would someone re-organise these for me to increase the cases performance
Fans available......
120x38mm Sunon - ~130CFM
120x38mm Sunon - ~90CFM
120x38mm Scythe Ultra Kaze- ~90CFM
120x38mm No name [well no sticker] also close to the scythe ~90CFM [no end on the cable - have to add - can omit this fan if you please]
120x25mm Scythe Slipstream - ~110CFM
120x25mm Nocta - ~50CFM
120x25mm Pccasegear LED blue generic - ~70cfm???
120x25mm Stock Blue LED fan
120x25mm Stock fan *2

Also have the 2 120x38mm Shrouds to add to 2 of the fans

Righto - what fan and where? - you can have getto fans also - eg i have the second Sunon in the bottom 2 5.1/4" Bays atm

I also have some 80/92mm fans i can add also and i'll leave the fans on the nb/ram
The 3 circles in the picture are fans on the northbridge and on the ram
the big circle drawn on the HDD rack is where a fan has been mounted since the picture was taken.

Thanks

scottath
Old 9th September 2008, 11:36 PM   #44
Bold Eagle

I am going to some benching this week so I pulled my system out, stuck it next to a window for exhaust and will have a bit of a go with a house fan, damn idles are at 27-22 (IHS is at 18C), no fan going yet:

Old 14th September 2008, 5:30 PM   #45
Bold Eagle

With summer on the way (hit's 40-42C in Feb up here) I refined my open air cooled rig a bit further (plus someone gave me a motherboard stand last night ). So the motherboard is now elevated to allow air circulation and greater cooling potential. Suprisingly the hottest hardware components are the HDD, I can touch the tops NBHS, SBHS and CPUHS and they reflect ambient but my HDDs' are "very warm to touch" (~45C), now I have placed them in the old case HDD cage to allow air circulation. My previous case has the "primary intake" flowing across the HDD with a large % going to my Video Card and then CPU, this allowed pre-warmed air to be hitting other hardware and would scale with ambient temps

Fully loading my Video Card I cannot get it past 70C, idle is at 50C (which is close to in case build) but the load has dropped "significantly" (from 80>>>>70C). Therefore the "temp range" has dropped by 10C!!! This could be reflected in other system components: