Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > General Topics > Overclocking & Hardware

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 6th August 2009, 11:51 AM   #91
baby_ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spork! View Post
I think I've decided on the Megahalems to chill my chip.

A question about fans...

Low dBA is good I know. This comes generally from low(er) rpm. What is more important for a CPU heatsink fan though - volume of air moved, or static pressure?

Also, how accurate are the dBA ratings on fans, I'm looking @ buying from PCCG and it seems odd that some more expensive fans (ie, Scythe s flex and slip stream 1900 rpm) are advertised as 37 and 35dBA but the cooler master 2000 rpm is advertised as 19 dBA, quieter than the famous noctura NF-P12 1300 rpm fan...
Is this 19dBA @ 1/2 speed? Should I double the 19 to 38 for a more realistic estimate? Or iseveryone who's NOT using the $20 CM fans wasting $$$?
Well its actually quite hard to tell which companies ratings are the most accurate as they have different testing conditions. The coolermaster's stats are believed to be false as their cfm (airflow) to noise ratio is insanely good compared to even the top brands. As for cpu cooling fan it depends on your cooler. The majority will benifit from high static pressure but there also needs to be a fair amount of cfm. If the fins are tight or the air needs to travel a long distance throught wider fins then look for high static pressure. If you have fins that arent as close together then you may benifit from a reasonable pressure but high cfm to get the most airflow possible. Some favourites to most are the scythe ultra kaze for their 38mm thickness which gives better static pressure, probably the 2000rpm model would suite the best. Or the S-flex, these are said to push allot of air but dont quite have the static pressure needed for tight fins or long fins (good for case fans). The noctua p12's I have are great.. not too noisy even with two on a push pull setup.

If I made a mistake somewhere please correct me.
baby_ute is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 6th August 2009, 12:26 PM   #92
Lardman Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby_ute View Post
Well its actually quite hard to tell which companies ratings are the most accurate as they have different testing conditions. The coolermaster's stats are believed to be false as their cfm (airflow) to noise ratio is insanely good compared to even the top brands. As for cpu cooling fan it depends on your cooler. The majority will benifit from high static pressure but there also needs to be a fair amount of cfm. If the fins are tight or the air needs to travel a long distance throught wider fins then look for high static pressure. If you have fins that arent as close together then you may benifit from a reasonable pressure but high cfm to get the most airflow possible. Some favourites to most are the scythe ultra kaze for their 38mm thickness which gives better static pressure, probably the 2000rpm model would suite the best. Or the S-flex, these are said to push allot of air but dont quite have the static pressure needed for tight fins or long fins (good for case fans). The noctua p12's I have are great.. not too noisy even with two on a push pull setup.

If I made a mistake somewhere please correct me.
Sounds about right.

If you want some fan reviews, check out the first post. I've got to find a few more though, and complete the updating.
Old 21st August 2009, 10:03 AM   #93
Tex Zero

Got a Prolimatech Megahalems last night. God she's a big bugger!

Fantastic mounting system thats rock solid and the whole things very well made. Dropped my temps by around 6c over my old Actic Cooling Freezer 7.

After 15min prime95, ambient 20c:

AC Freezer 7 @ load: Core0=51 Core1=49
Megahalems @ load: Core0=45 Core1=43

Thats with a pretty ordinary silverstone case fan and fresh TIM that hasn't had any burn-in time.

MAIN: GB Z170X Gaming 5 | i5 6600K | Cryorig H5 Ultimate | ASUS GTX 970 Strix | 1x Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | 2x WDBlack 1TB | 8Gb HyperX | Corsair HX620W | Logitech G5 | MS X4 | W10 x64
HTPC: MA78GM-S2H | AMD4800+ | 3 x WD1Tb HD | 4Gb RAM | Antec NSK2480 | W7MC
Tex Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2009, 8:28 PM   #94
slickncghia
Awaiting Email Confirmation

so whats the best air cooler under 150mm tall. space is an issue.

im waiting for the 1156 adapters.

but so far im thinking the Noctua - C12P

any thoughts? possibly the h50 but thats a bit pricey
slickncghia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2009, 5:00 PM   #95
slickncghia
Awaiting Email Confirmation

well i got a coolermaster hyper tx3 ... sounds fancy but its really a cheap $29 jobbie.... but does it do the job??

its 139mm tall and just fits in nicely. none of the 150-160mm wouldve had a chance of fitting

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?...ducts_id=11895

well my prime 95 full load temps are now ~ 46-48 stock.

and when overclocking to above 4.2ghz the idle temps are still about 40 instead of 55degs. so yeah id say its done the trick,

plus it enabled me to get (or have the confidence to get to) 4.656ghz

obviously a $100 mighve been sligly better but at more than 3x the price. this thing is super value for money.

the fan clips are stupid so i did a dodgy cable tie job and used the provided fan and some other old 90mm fan i had in push pull config.

has 6heatpipes going direcly into the base. the stock fan seems quiet but its hard to tell as the 2nd fan im using is a bit louder. when im done benching and oc'ing i might piss that off for a quietness

Last edited by slickncghia; 23rd September 2009 at 5:04 PM.
slickncghia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2009, 1:10 AM   #96
takitoes

G'day guys,

About to start a new build with:
i7 860
EVGA P55 FTW (has the 775 mounting points)

Hoping to get the ~4ghz, and providing the CPU isn't a dud and the cooling is done properly, it should be easy enough!

The one problem is that I have a custom desk modded to double as my case. This limits the height of the cooler to 140mm MAX.

So i need a recommendation for a good cooler (1156 / 775) that will do the job?

Or else, i looked at Watercooling. Is there another alternative to the Corsair H50? it would be perfect, except i dont think it will cool well enough. Need something simple, as a complete watercooling setup is more trouble then its worth for me.
takitoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2009, 3:44 PM   #97
elstado

Quote:
Originally Posted by takitoes View Post
Or else, i looked at Watercooling. Is there another alternative to the Corsair H50? it would be perfect, except i dont think it will cool well enough. Need something simple, as a complete watercooling setup is more trouble then its worth for me.
The Corsair H50 is great for a number of reasons, mainly because it is pretty good build quality, small, reasonably cheap and easy to install.

The biggest issue is that it doesn't really offer much better cooling potential than a decent $90 HSF.

However, in your situation where you are considering the H50 because of space limitation it could well be a valid idea. Sure you could fit a custom WC setup somehow, but it takes up much more space having the pump, rad, res etc and will cost a lot more. You're looking at around $250++ for a standard kit.

It really depends if you have the space, time and money for the extras that it takes for a decent WC setup.

If you can find a way to fit a 360 rad on the back of the desk and run the pipes to it, and then the space for the res and pump etc it will offer much better cooling potential. You might also want to ask around in the WC/Extreme cooling sub-forum, those guys are much more knowledgeable than I am when it comes to WC kits.

Last edited by elstado; 15th October 2009 at 3:46 PM.
elstado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2009, 4:39 PM   #98
salochin

Quote:
Originally Posted by takitoes View Post
<snip>
So i need a recommendation for a good cooler (1156 / 775) that will do the job?
The Noctua C12P is only 116mm tall (including fan, 91mm without), and should perform well enough for that sort of overclock.
[Linux - Registered User #489266]
[Intel Owners Club Member #94][Apple Mac Owners Club Member #159]
salochin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2009, 5:32 PM   #99
Bold Eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lardman View Post
Sounds about right.

If you want some fan reviews, check out the first post. I've got to find a few more though, and complete the updating.
Not sure if this Fan Review is in OP but it is from XS and very solid over there:

XS Fan Review - Part 2

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=193126

Spoiler: And the king of the hill is.......

Spoiler below, highlight to read:
Sanyo Denki San Ace 1011 is king of the hill

For any interested the product number I believe is Product No. 109R1212H1011

Woot just in case anyone is interested I found an Aussie supplier, these are "industrial grade supplies" so you will really need to use the filters to find the right fans, expect $40-50:

http://au.farnell.com/jsp/search/res...8&Ns=PLS_SKU|1

With the current exchange rate it could be worth getting it via UPS direct from US Manufacturer if you were buying several:

http://www.sanyo-denki.com/sanace_sdaspec.aspx
http://www.sanyo-denki.com/ups_distributors.aspx

Last edited by Bold Eagle; 17th October 2009 at 11:24 AM.
Bold Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2009, 5:38 AM   #100
CrimsonIdol8

Quote:
Originally Posted by salochin View Post
The Noctua C12P is only 116mm tall (including fan, 91mm without), and should perform well enough for that sort of overclock.
I actually just finished installing this HSF not fifteen minutes ago. It's running at 1300RPM, is whisper quiet and has resulted in a drop of 15 degrees over the stock AMD HSF at full load. Plus, you can position the HSF in a way that it'll cool your RAM too. Highly recommended.

Last edited by CrimsonIdol8; 22nd October 2009 at 3:00 AM. Reason: 20 = 15.
CrimsonIdol8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2009, 10:27 AM   #101
unco_tomato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bold Eagle View Post

Woot just in case anyone is interested I found an Aussie supplier:

http://au.farnell.com/jsp/search/res...8&Ns=PLS_SKU|1
Umm.... $280 for a single fan? 0.0
Intel i7 3960X @ 4.8GHz - Gigabyte OC HD7970 CrossFire - 32GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1.86GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme - Enermax 1500W - SilverStone TJ11 - EK Supreme HF CPU Block - Koolance 7970 Blocks - Dual SR1 360 Radiators - Swiftech MCP655 Pump - EK 250 X2 Res - Dell U2711 - 10TB Storage - OCZ Revo 3 240GB (Steam) - Corsair Force GT 3 120GB (OS+BF3)
unco_tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2009, 10:48 AM   #102
Bold Eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by unco_tomato View Post
Umm.... $280 for a single fan? 0.0
Use the filters......but you will be paying $40-50 might be worth it on the HS.

Last edited by Bold Eagle; 17th October 2009 at 10:51 AM.
Bold Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2009, 3:50 AM   #103
elstado

I also posted this in the "which 120mm fan is the best" thread, but thought that this is probably more appropriate in getting my particular questions answered.

Explanation:

I am looking to get one or two 120mm case fans for my Antec Sonata III case.

Currently I have one black 120mm tri-cool at the rear of the case, with a Zalman 9700 pointing towards it.

I've been having issues with average airflow inside the case and my videocard (XFX 9800GT) getting quite hot, this evening it peaked at 84 degrees while playing Brothers in Arms: HHW, and although it was a hot day, in my books anything over 80 degrees is too hot.

The issue is that there's only space for one extra fan, which is located on the inside of the case on the HDD cage, which is supposed to act as an air intake. The case isn't that long as well, so I am hesitant to spend $$ on getting a 25mm fan and then find that when I get a new GPU next year there isn't enough room.

(You can see the extra fan mount where the power cable for the GPU is coming through).

Does anyone have some suggestions of what are the best 120mm fans for an internal mount in a Sonata III? I was thinking of the Scythe SlipStream Slim Fan 1600RPM SY1212SL12M, which is $19 atm @ PCCG. The 12mm profile, (apparently) low noise and reasonable airflow seems good.

Not sure if it is worth replacing the rear 120mm tri-cool or not, as on med or high it should be moving enough air to not be causing any issues. It is a bit noisy, but not enough to warrant spending ~$27 on a replacement fan.

I'm also wanting to replace the thermal paste for my GPU as well, in order to try and get temps down a few degrees. What's the best value thermal compound for GPUs and should I be looking at buying proper cleaning solution, such as Arctic Silver ArctiClean, or is that a wrought?

I was even thinking of getting a cheap aftermarket GPU HSF like the Arctic Cooling Accelero L2 Pro, considering that is only $21 which is how much themal paste and cleaning solution would cost. Want to avoid spending dead money though as I am intending on upgrading in a few months.

PS- If anyone has a decent 120mm fan they can sell me for cheap PM me.
elstado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2009, 10:49 AM   #104
MagyaR

I'm looking at ocing my Q6600, it seems the Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme Revision C is the one to get for around ~$79?
MagyaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2009, 11:57 AM   #105
Lardman Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickncghia View Post
so whats the best air cooler under 150mm tall. space is an issue.
im waiting for the 1156 adapters.
but so far im thinking the Noctua - C12P
any thoughts? possibly the h50 but thats a bit pricey
The Thermalright AXP140 (Don't quote me on that model number... :P) is a good choice, solid cooler - downside? Hard to find. But that'll fit the bill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by salochin View Post
... Or that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elstado View Post
I also posted this in the "which 120mm fan is the best" thread, but thought that this is probably more appropriate in getting my particular questions answered.

Explanation:
I am looking to get one or two 120mm case fans for my Antec Sonata III case.
(You can see the extra fan mount where the power cable for the GPU is coming through).

Not sure if it is worth replacing the rear 120mm tri-cool or not, as on med or high it should be moving enough air to not be causing any issues. It is a bit noisy, but not enough to warrant spending ~$27 on a replacement fan.

I'm also wanting to replace the thermal paste for my GPU as well, in order to try and get temps down a few degrees. What's the best value thermal compound for GPUs and should I be looking at buying proper cleaning solution, such as Arctic Silver ArctiClean, or is that a wrought?

I was even thinking of getting a cheap aftermarket GPU HSF like the Arctic Cooling Accelero L2 Pro, considering that is only $21 which is how much themal paste and cleaning solution would cost. Want to avoid spending dead money though as I am intending on upgrading in a few months.
Replace the rear tri-cool with a Noctua S-12. They blow a decent amount of air and that should improve airflow. Acoustically, that'll be able to run at a higher RPM and provide better airflow at the same noise levels, too.

As for an aftermarket heatsink, that will only help so much - improving overall airflow would be my first step, a new heatsink just gets heat from the gpu core quicker - doesn't help overall case temp, especially with a stock tri-cool fan there. (They're not exactly the best fan in the world)

A more radical desision would be to upgrade to an Antec P183 if you like the quiet of the Sonata but need more airflow, but it is bit of an expensive decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagyaR View Post
I'm looking at ocing my Q6600, it seems the Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme Revision C is the one to get for around ~$79?
You should be fine with that. Have a look at the Noctua range as well, they're not a bad choice either.