Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > General Topics > Overclocking & Hardware

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 22nd October 2009, 1:12 PM   #106
elstado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lardman View Post
Replace the rear tri-cool with a Noctua S-12. They blow a decent amount of air and that should improve airflow. Acoustically, that'll be able to run at a higher RPM and provide better airflow at the same noise levels, too.
Yeah I thought about it but couldn't stomach $27.50 + $13 postage. I got a couple of Coolermaster fans from a member for a few bucks in postage, I know they are pretty crap fans compared to Noctuas etc, but they were cheap. Will be adding a 120mm fan on the optional mount and will have to see how temps go before taking further action.

Quote:
As for an aftermarket heatsink, that will only help so much - improving overall airflow would be my first step, a new heatsink just gets heat from the gpu core quicker - doesn't help overall case temp, especially with a stock tri-cool fan there. (They're not exactly the best fan in the world). A more radical desision would be to upgrade to an Antec P183 if you like the quiet of the Sonata but need more airflow, but it is bit of an expensive decision.
I've been thinking about a new case anyway, as I want a bigger case with better features. I made a thread on WP about it though because no one tenders the WTB section of the forum.
elstado is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 22nd October 2009, 2:01 PM   #107
Bold Eagle

From the XS Fan review I linked in post 99 they indicate that the

Zalman ZM-F3 are a stand out because very cheap, commonly available and damn good results. Maybe worth a look.

Mine are starting to drive me crazy lately as it is coming to summer.

Nice "budget" HS review here Lardman (well maybe not budget you can get an OCZ Vend for similar):

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/sh...5#post11038635

Last edited by Bold Eagle; 22nd October 2009 at 2:03 PM.
Bold Eagle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2009, 7:20 PM   #108
Lardman Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elstado View Post

I've been thinking about a new case anyway, as I want a bigger case with better features. I made a thread on WP about it though because no one tenders the WTB section of the forum.
P183 would be a good choice, especially if you like quiet.
Old 22nd October 2009, 8:18 PM   #109
Smoke87

p183 is a POS if you are going for the larger video cards and want decent air flow. More so if you want to use all the hard drive bays...or even half of them...
Futuremark is my favourite games developer.
Smoke87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2009, 1:48 AM   #110
Lardman Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke87 View Post
p183 is a POS if you are going for the larger video cards and want decent air flow. More so if you want to use all the hard drive bays...or even half of them...
There's 4 underneath, just remove the middle bay and you've got plenty of room... You only miss out on 2 drives.
Old 10th December 2009, 2:32 PM   #111
Bold Eagle

Another good Fan Review from "Mad Shrimps" (these guys do some solid material imho).

120mm Fan Roundup - 35 Models Compared 13/02/2009 and looks like there is a new kid on the block.
Old 31st December 2009, 5:28 AM   #112
ElBeasto

One of the features being touted by Thermalright on the Venomous X is a 'mirrored base'. I don't really care if it's shiny, I just want it to be flat!

The base on the ultra 120 extreme is the reason I bought an H50. That and the fact it doesn't come with a fan.

Last edited by ElBeasto; 31st December 2009 at 5:42 AM.
ElBeasto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2010, 7:48 PM   #113
Omwols

I recently asked pccasegear about an ETA for the Noctua NH-D14.

Reply I got today is:

"While we donít have a specific date, it will be mid to late January 2010 before they are available."
Omwols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2010, 12:16 PM   #114
D_MaN

I have heard the Noctua Cpu coolers to be great.
I'm thinking about getting one so i can then overclock my core i7 920 =)
D_MaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2010, 11:09 PM   #115
Renban21

Default Noctua NH-D14 the beast

Bought 2 of these last week for different PC's. The cooler comes with 120mm fan and a 140mm fan. I set it up with 2 x 120mm fans these give approx 1 degree better performance that with 120 & 140 fans. Then tried 2 x 140mm fans these give approx 2 degree better performance. Tried 2 x 140mm fans and added a 120mm fan gave 3 degrees better performance. Yes you can fit 3 fans on the cooler if your case is big enough. I have an Antec 1200 case and use an ASUS P6T Deluxe motherboard. The cooler sits over the top of half of the ram facing from front to back of the case. Very easy to fit but must remove motherboard to install backplate on intel systems.

Previously had a Thermalright True 120 with 2 Fans running I7 965@ 4.2 with temps at idle 52, load 75 and very high 90's to 100 when stress tested. With NH-D14 idle 43, load 65 and stress 85. Note this is with the 3 fan setup.

Last edited by Renban21; 26th February 2010 at 11:17 PM.
Renban21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2010, 2:54 AM   #116
Renegade40D

Would upgrading from a Thermaltake BIg Typhoon VX to a Noctua NH-U12P lower my cpu load temps? Looking to push the cpu a bit further with the oc'ing.

Found this site....... http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/824/6
And if there tests results are accurate the U12P seems to be a good choice (my choice is limited to what MSY have on there price list)
Renegade40D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2010, 12:24 AM   #117
maximun_payne

hi i just joined was hopeing uses could help me out
i have a lancool k62r1 the fans dont make much noise but it dose not feel like they move much air either
and the top 2 are not led

i would like to repace the top to whit leds ones and maybe the front and back with better led ones
the top 2 and rear are 140mm
and the front is 120mm
what sould i replace them with willing to spend $30 on each fan
not worried to much about noise
maximun_payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2010, 12:37 AM   #118
Dark_chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximun_payne View Post
hi i just joined was hopeing uses could help me out
i have a lancool k62r1 the fans dont make much noise but it dose not feel like they move much air either
and the top 2 are not led

i would like to repace the top to whit leds ones and maybe the front and back with better led ones
the top 2 and rear are 140mm
and the front is 120mm
what sould i replace them with willing to spend $30 on each fan
not worried to much about noise
Welcome, Maximun_payne.
120mm Fans, I suggest either
Enermax Apollish Twister Bearing 120mm Red LED Fan - http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?...ducts_id=13239
CoolerMaster Silent Red LED Fan 120mm - http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?...ducts_id=11128

140mm Fans, In Red LED there isn't much. I found some white ones
Xigmatek XLF-F1453 140mm LED Fan - http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?...Path=207_9_598

Hopefully these will push / pull more air in / out of you case.
Diablo III ROS - Drkkos#6900
Diablo Profile
Dark_chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2010, 10:10 PM   #119
frostee

Getting a Coolermaster Geminii S for the new build. I want the best performance possible out of the thing so am going all out on fancy thermal paste, carefully positioned case fans and hopefully replacement of the fan on the heatsink.
What kind of fan do I need to replace it with? Is any PVM one fine? Suggestions for the best option (unlimited budget) ?

EDIT: Man this looks fantastic! http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?...ducts_id=13960
Performance looks good, what do you think?

Last edited by frostee; 5th April 2010 at 10:13 PM.
frostee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2010, 12:27 AM   #120
Lardman Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostee View Post
Getting a Coolermaster Geminii S for the new build. I want the best performance possible out of the thing so am going all out on fancy thermal paste, carefully positioned case fans and hopefully replacement of the fan on the heatsink.
What kind of fan do I need to replace it with? Is any PVM one fine? Suggestions for the best option (unlimited budget) ?

EDIT: Man this looks fantastic! http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?...ducts_id=13960
Performance looks good, what do you think?
I'd generally be wary of Coolermaster numbers that they advertise - Have a look in the first post, there's lots of good info - most people around here swear by the Noctua range of products.