Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Pets & Animals

Notices

Old 22nd October 2015, 10:58 AM   #136
broccoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbb1935 View Post
we'd need to put away probably $3-5k a year *just* incase something happens.
No, you just need to put away the premium amount. The "risk" you would have to find money for is serious injury/illness in the first year or so, until you had stashed a sufficient fund. The upside of self-insurance is that the fund is still yours if your dog doesn't get some horrible disease or have a serious accident costing shitloads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankari View Post
I expected this to be bad, but they really put the effort in and took it to a whole new level of atrocious.
broccoli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2015, 3:21 PM   #137
cbb1935
Unregistered / Not Logged In

Quote:
Originally Posted by broccoli View Post
No, you just need to put away the premium amount. The "risk" you would have to find money for is serious injury/illness in the first year or so, until you had stashed a sufficient fund. The upside of self-insurance is that the fund is still yours if your dog doesn't get some horrible disease or have a serious accident costing shitloads.
True, but say your dog had an accident and did both knee ligaments, you could easily blow (I don't now but say) $5k fixing that.

Or $2000 on a paralysis tick bite and associated care.
Or $3000 (I've seen quoted) (per hip) for Hip Dysplasia.

Those sort of numbers, unless you had been saving for years and years without incident, make pet insurance more palatable.

Or in the case where you have HD, and one hip goes ($3k) and the other shortly after.

I see it like car insurance, home and contents insurance, etc etc. Better to have and not use it, that need it and not have it.
Old 22nd October 2015, 3:52 PM   #138
broccoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbb1935 View Post
I see it like car insurance, home and contents insurance, etc etc. Better to have and not use it, that need it and not have it.
House insurance is usually better value than pet insurance. You pay (say) $1000/year in premiums for $350000 house. You can't put away a spare $350000. You can put away $5000.... If your house burns down, you pay your excess and they cover the rest. Every claim on pet insurance has you paying a contribution.

My dog had 2 bionic knees. It set me back about $600 each op. My cat had thyroid issues, it cost me $50 for his pills and I had to pay for special food for his wee problem. Even for my "defective" pets, they still didn't cost me what premiums would have set me back.

I think the insurance is more "worth it" for big dogs than for little ones - the premiums don't really reflect the much lower cost for little dogs' medications and procedures. You wouldn't get an op for $650 on a lab or a wolfhound. It'd be heaps (heaps) more. I'm big on having insurance, just for pet insurance, I've decided to self-insure. It really depends on your circumstances. I probably would have kept it if not for the exclusions and I would have renewed my dog's but the insurer was completely disinterested in keeping the policy.
Quote:
I expected this to be bad, but they really put the effort in and took it to a whole new level of atrocious.
Old 22nd October 2015, 9:21 PM   #139
millhouse
Chief Tiger Dentist

Quote:
Originally Posted by broccoli View Post
I think the insurance is more "worth it" for big dogs than for little ones - the premiums don't really reflect the much lower cost for little dogs' medications and procedures. You wouldn't get an op for $650 on a lab or a wolfhound. It'd be heaps (heaps) more.
Medication is cheaper to a fair extent, but surgery costs are no different (obviously depends on the vet, but none of the hospitals I work at would charge anything noticably different).
Old 22nd October 2015, 9:26 PM   #140
cbb1935
Unregistered / Not Logged In

Good point there.

In our case being a boisterous lab, who bounds around with endless excitement (when she gets hyped up), and who goes with us here there and everywhere, probably a good thing for us
Old 22nd October 2015, 9:59 PM   #141
broccoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by millhouse View Post
but surgery costs are no different
Don't you need more sedation and anaesthetic, dressings, bigger hardware, more elastic bands, stuff?
Quote:
Old 23rd October 2015, 7:01 AM   #142
millhouse
Chief Tiger Dentist

Yes, but you are mostly paying for service.
Old 25th October 2015, 7:47 AM   #143
Juggs

insurance only pushes up the fees vets charge to begin with as many of these policies were first started by vets and or pet suppliers

5k vet bill the dog gets put down

but then I guess it depends if your a fur baby type of person or much more realistic about life and death and the value of money
Juggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2015, 9:08 AM   #144
scon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggs View Post
value of money
Isn't the best value spending it on things you love that make you happy? How do you reach the $5k amount? Is it cumulative? One go? I don't think it's quite as black and white as you put forward.
scon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2015, 10:04 AM   #145
Juggs

depends on the type of person you are as I said, for me a 5k one of cost the animal would be put down

you see a kangaroo on bondi vet having 3k spent on it repairing a broken leg and the local farmer shoots 10000 of them, everyone has a different perspective

Last edited by Juggs; 25th October 2015 at 10:07 AM.
Juggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2015, 10:51 AM   #146
trevor68

Our cat recently cost $1500 to have six teeth removed, this made me consider insurance, but no policy i looked at included dental?
trevor68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2015, 11:22 AM   #147
holdennutta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggs View Post
but then I guess it depends if your a fur baby type of person or much more realistic about life and death and the value of money
I don't think it has to be one extreme or the other.

I'm somewhat in the middle where I understand it's an animal (as am I...) and animals sometimes die. But if it's something easily enough curable by spending some money then I'm the one who undertook to be responsible for the life when I brought it home. Putting it down over a broken leg (for example) seems like a super shit shirking of responsibilities.
holdennutta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2015, 11:31 AM   #148
broccoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevor68 View Post
but no policy i looked at included dental?
That's the thing. The ones I looked at didn't seem to respond to the things most likely to arise.

I think it is possible that having the insurance will just encourage the vet to do more than they otherwise might....

My dog had a "thing" and she got into the clutches of those who thought that I'd like to spend thousands of dollars for them to use her as a guinea pig. I wouldn't, and I didn't. None of it was necessary for her benefit - just for theirs.
Quote:
Old 25th October 2015, 11:49 AM   #149
clonex

Quote:
Originally Posted by holdennutta View Post
Putting it down over a broken leg (for example) seems like a super shit shirking of responsibilities.
Which is why you see plenty of animals at rspca with either recently operated legs or amputated etc.

Or Ipswich seems to be a shocker for injured animals roaming around.

Dump and run
clonex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2015, 11:51 AM   #150
mareke

The vet I take my cat to for his hyperthyroidism (fixed by applying cream to the underside of his ear twice a day) told me she had brain surgery performed on her cat to remove a tumour. I wander if insurance covered that? If it was my cat I would have it humanely put down. I've also read stories of people having kidney transplants performed on their cats. I wander if insurance covered that? Again I'd have the cat humanely put down. There's a program on TV about taxidermy and a woman had her dead cat stuffed and put on a pedestal in her lounge room. I wouldn't do that but I have a photo of my cat sitting on his stand with his eyes closed in meditation as the screensaver for my computer.
mareke is offline   Reply With Quote