Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Pets & Animals

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 19th January 2010, 6:17 PM   #31
millhouse
Chief Tiger Dentist

Of course it is pre-existing - you just said he has it BEFORE he has insurance!

If you want to claim it, get insurance and then change vets and never tell the other vet he has had issues. Of course then you are committing insurance fraud.

Last edited by millhouse; 19th January 2010 at 6:21 PM. Reason: spelling
millhouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 12th February 2010, 12:32 AM   #32
UB3R

I have it on both my dogs, and it has already in 2-3 years paid for itself for the lifetime of the dog. They always seem to get sick at the wrst times and on public holidays and this covers most of the big bills.

Had a couple of lots of surgery, some over night stays, and quite a few meds and it turns out doggy medication isnt subsidised like human stuff, so costs a bomb... that and our vet charges like a wounded bull! Then again she has to pay for that 3 storey house, pool, and BMW M5 (which replaced the 360 Modena) somehow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by millhouse View Post
Of course it is pre-existing - you just said he has it BEFORE he has insurance!

If you want to claim it, get insurance and then change vets and never tell the other vet he has had issues. Of course then you are committing insurance fraud.
i think there might be a doggy database hey... we have changed vets at times (when at parents place) and its all there when they scan the dogs microchip.

Last edited by Ma Baker; 19th September 2010 at 4:08 AM. Reason: 2 posts merged.
UB3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2010, 5:16 AM   #33
MR CHILLED
D'oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB3R View Post
I have it on both my dogs, and it has already in 2-3 years paid for itself for the lifetime of the dog.
What type of dogs and how much are you paying per year, if you don't mind me asking.
Old 12th February 2010, 11:39 AM   #34
CQGLHyperion

I have both my dogs insured. Was with RACQ but now with Suncorp. They haven't got the best policies but at least it is something.

Genetic disorders also aren't covered.
Old 12th February 2010, 8:08 PM   #35
timsarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by svendenhowser View Post
No I don't. But I think it's a little different with pets, the owner has to pay for everything, whereas with human medicine they only pay for certain things (I've never had to pay for anything).
actually it isn't that different . i have my two cats on my health insurance
timsarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2010, 2:33 PM   #36
MR CHILLED
D'oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CQGLHyperion View Post
I have both my dogs insured. Was with RACQ but now with Suncorp. They haven't got the best policies but at least it is something.
I didn't even know the general insurers did this sort of insurance.
Old 9th May 2010, 10:57 AM   #37
Cranky

Hey all,

Have been looking at some pet insurance policies and trying to decide which to go with.

anyone have any recommendations? I've got an 11.5 week old Labrador female - and definitely will be getting her insured, just looking for a provider?

anyone have any good suggestions? Am thinking RSPCA - but willing to look at other providers people have found good

Before anyone asks, I have used google, I'm just seeing if other people have had good/bad experiences.

EDIT: also, while I was getting online quotes I noticed they distinguish between a Labrador and a Labrador Retriever - I always assumed they were the same thing, but what's the distinction?

Last edited by Cranky; 9th May 2010 at 11:02 AM.
Cranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2010, 11:13 AM   #38
millhouse
Chief Tiger Dentist

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB3R View Post
i think there might be a doggy database hey... we have changed vets at times (when at parents place) and its all there when they scan the dogs microchip.
No there isn't. The only information the Microchip has is 16 digits and that is it.

What may have happened is that the Insurance company has listed previous claims etc. and the other insurance company has access to that information. But no, as vets we don't just scan the 'chips and get all their previous history.
Old 9th May 2010, 11:16 AM   #39
_the_duke_
(Taking a Break)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychotik View Post
Lol pet insurance, whats next??
Or health insurance for humans haha!

Pay a small premium per month, which covers you for expensive operations and such, haha...

_the_duke_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2010, 4:06 PM   #40
TinaBNE

i just got pet insurance for my dog and im so happy i was thinking rspca but it was more than double medibank private for the same level of cover.. with rspca they do say 20% of the premium is a donation.. but i donate to them already

"Rihanna, if you like a rude boy, if you like the way it hurts, and you think you're so hard, why'd you leave Chris Brown?"
TinaBNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2010, 4:21 PM   #41
MR CHILLED
D'oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaBNE View Post
i just got pet insurance for my dog and im so happy i was thinking rspca but it was more than double medibank private for the same level of cover.. with rspca they do say 20% of the premium is a donation.. but i donate to them already
Type/age of dog and cost? (if you don't mind of course)
Old 15th September 2010, 4:31 PM   #42
TinaBNE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR CHILLED View Post
Type/age of dog and cost? (if you don't mind of course)
Staffordshire Bull Terrier x Bull Terrier, almost 16 months, desexed. It was a touch under $240 for the year. Thats "Silver Paw" -> Accidental injury + Illness with a $500 excess.. like $5 a week. Edit: excess amount

With 'Gold Paw' you can claim back on things like teeth cleaning and flea treatments and whatever.. i dont care about paying for those things. I would just die if something happened to my dog and I couldn't access the treatment he needed.

You can get a specific quote for age/breed:
http://www.medibank.com.au/Pet-Insur...Apply-Now.aspx

If you have home and contents insurance or are with certain insurance companies you can add pets on quite cheaply <$100. I don't have insurance of any sort that i could tag him onto atm so I just got him that stand alone pet insurance. Once my fiance and I get married we'll have him in family insurance though.

"Rihanna, if you like a rude boy, if you like the way it hurts, and you think you're so hard, why'd you leave Chris Brown?"

Last edited by TinaBNE; 16th September 2010 at 1:40 PM. Reason: wrong excess amount
TinaBNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2011, 8:52 PM   #43
MR CHILLED
D'oh!

Just for properity I thought I'd post this article...particularly about insurance...

http://www.smh.com.au/money/budget-f...308-1blfk.html
Old 13th March 2011, 9:26 PM   #44
Baringa

We have Medibank "Gold Paw" coverage for our two cats. I just don't want to risk it. I'm not so well off that some insurance in case of emergency wouldn't be helpful, particularly when one of our cats isn't the healthiest of kitties.
Baringa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2011, 10:12 PM   #45
Deltoid

We have a little puppy and were planning on putting $50 aside for him for if anything ever came up in future.

Is something like pet insurance a better idea?