Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Pets & Animals

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 15th March 2011, 10:37 AM   #61
Deltoid

Ok, after more research I've found that most of them are underwritten by The Hollard Insurance Company. As a result, most of them have the exact same policy (even the PDS are the same just with some different formatting / company names)

Have others found this as well? As such does it make comparing those which are underwritten by The Hollard Insurance Company no point as they are the same policy?

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 15th March 2011, 3:02 PM   #62
bboredd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR CHILLED View Post
Definitely, especially if you are already saving $50/month. Premiums will be much less than $50/month, any serious bill will be at least $600 you would think, and you will obviously be covered for a lot higher amounts. You can buy some beer each month with the savings

One vial of snake bite antitoxin would set you back by more than 600. Some emergency centres use 2-4 vials at one go in their snake bite protocol. All in all, pet insurance is definitely worth it. Choose whichever company you want, vets don't get any commission out of any insurance companies btw.
bboredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2011, 3:04 PM   #63
MR CHILLED
D'oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboredd View Post
One vial of snake bite antitoxin would set you back by more than 600.
That's interesting as my cat got bitten by a snake and eventually died after I asked them to see what could be done. They did everything they could and $450 later. This was about 4 years ago now.....maybe cats require less?
Old 15th March 2011, 9:09 PM   #64
bboredd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR CHILLED View Post
That's interesting as my cat got bitten by a snake and eventually died after I asked them to see what could be done. They did everything they could and $450 later. This was about 4 years ago now.....maybe cats require less?
Well it really depends on what they did for the $450 - did they definitely use anti-venom or did they use a high fluid rate to cause diuresis in hope of making the cat remove toxin for the body quicker? They may or may not have used anti-venom because if the cat got bitten a few days ago, some see no point in giving the anti-venom because the aim of the anti-venom is to bind up the toxins before the toxins bind to receptors in the body to cause the toxic effects and if it's too long after the bite, the toxins would have already bound and they feel that there is no more free toxin to be bound up and think it's better off spending the clients money on supportive therapy such a fluids +/- other drugs if req to help the cat as it gets through the toxic effects which is fair enough I reckon.

Actually, cats generally cope better with snake bites than dogs.

Opinion Millhouse?

Last edited by bboredd; 15th March 2011 at 9:17 PM.
Old 15th March 2011, 9:42 PM   #65
MR CHILLED
D'oh!

I'll grab the receipt, I have it somewhere but have to dig it up......and I'll post back : )
Old 16th March 2011, 8:28 AM   #66
MR CHILLED
D'oh!

Quote:
Well it really depends on what they did for the $450 - did they definitely use anti-venom or did they use a high fluid rate to cause diuresis in hope of making the cat remove toxin for the body quicker? They may or may not have used anti-venom because if the cat got bitten a few days ago, some see no point in giving the anti-venom because the aim of the anti-venom is to bind up the toxins before the toxins bind to receptors in the body to cause the toxic effects and if it's too long after the bite, the toxins would have already bound and they feel that there is no more free toxin to be bound up and think it's better off spending the clients money on supportive therapy such a fluids +/- other drugs if req to help the cat as it gets through the toxic effects which is fair enough I reckon.

Actually, cats generally cope better with snake bites than dogs.
Ok, found the receipt, sorry a little less than I thought:

Quote:
27/1/2005

Professional Services
Intravenous Fluid Therapy - $50.35 (x1)

Surgery
Oxygen Therapy - $22.00 (x1)

Medications
Brown Snake Antivenom 1000iu - $263.15 (x1)
Dexone-5 Injection - $14.75 (x1)
Frudix Injection - $13.75 (x0.25)
Millophyline V Injection - $14.60 (x1)
Niramine Injection - $13.80 (x0.50)

Euthanasia & Cremation
Cremation - no charge (x1)

TOTAL: $392.40
Old 16th March 2011, 9:07 AM   #67
millhouse
Chief Tiger Dentist

That is amazingly cheap.
There is no charge form hospitalisation or consultation?
Even for 6 years ago, the cost for the antivenene is really weird - either they felt bad fro charging full price, or they have an amazing supplier. Wholesale cost (I would have to double check myself) was more than that back then, and certainly is now.

In general however I also would expect >$500 for anything half major with a pet.
Old 16th March 2011, 9:16 AM   #68
Chamelion

I think I've just been convinced to take out pet insurance.

Have received quotes from pet plan and medibank.. Both are significantly better than the quote from the RSPCA.

Medibank appears the best 'bang for buck'... $12000 cover (illness and accident) @ up to 100% of costs, $100 excess.. $36per month.

versus Pet plan.. $10000 cover (illness and accident) @ 100% of costs, $100 excess.. $41 per month.

However, pet plan states this - "Did you know that Petplan covers ongoing illness such as diabetes for the life of your pet." - I am not sure where medibank stands on this.

Thoughts?

Oh, it's a dog.. Border collie X.

Last edited by Ma Baker; 16th May 2011 at 10:44 PM. Reason: 2 posts merged. Please edit your post
Chamelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2011, 9:34 AM   #69
Deltoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamelion View Post
I think I've just been convinced to take out pet insurance.
Ditto. I've decided to go with Medibank Private's Silver Paw.
Old 16th March 2011, 9:39 AM   #70
Chamelion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltoid View Post
Ditto. I've decided to go with Medibank Private's Silver Paw.
Yep, that's the same plan I'm looking at... $36pm + $100 excess seems like a smart move when I can afford the $36pm, but wouldn't be able to afford $12000pa, not even close.
Chamelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2011, 9:46 AM   #71
bboredd

Quote:
Originally Posted by millhouse View Post
That is amazingly cheap.
Even for 6 years ago, the cost for the antivenene is really weird - either they felt bad fro charging full price, or they have an amazing supplier. Wholesale cost (I would have to double check myself) was more than that back then, and certainly is now.

In general however I also would expect >$500 for anything half major with a pet.
I agree, I haven't seen it that cheap before. I'm of the same feeling that they felt bad charging full price because the cat died eventually. I'm curious if they gave a quote of $450 instead of an estimate for treatment in the initial consult and said $450 so they tried to keep the cost below that no matter what they did?
Old 16th March 2011, 9:58 AM   #72
Deltoid

Quote:
Yep, that's the same plan I'm looking at... $36pm + $100 excess seems like a smart move when I can afford the $36pm, but wouldn't be able to afford $12000pa, not even close.
I'm going to run with the $500 excess which brings the premium down to $20 a month.

I'm just basing it on the dogs we had as kids. The rare amount of times we had to take them to the vet I assume I'd end up paying more in the higher premium than I would in the higher excess.

As for your question on PetPlan and diabetes. I called Medibank to ask them as it doesn't say in the PDS.

They said, if your dog gets a condition which requires ongoing treatment (like diabetes ). Whatever your annual limit is at the time it is diagnosed (eg. on the Silver Paws it is $12,000) that is the maximum they will pay out for that particular condition over the lifetime of the policy.

So, if your dog is diagnosed with diabetes. They would cover that condition until you claim $12,000 (total. not per year) against it and then you are on your own. Your usual $12,000 annual limit still applies for other conditions.
Old 16th March 2011, 5:18 PM   #73
MR CHILLED
D'oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by millhouse View Post
That is amazingly cheap.
Nope, what you see is what I got charged.

Quote:
I agree, I haven't seen it that cheap before. I'm of the same feeling that they felt bad charging full price because the cat died eventually. I'm curious if they gave a quote of $450 instead of an estimate for treatment in the initial consult and said $450 so they tried to keep the cost below that no matter what they did?
$450 was just what I thought it was....it had been six years since she passed away so I had forgotten exactly what it was. No quote was ever given, not even a ball park. I just took her straight to them and said fix her whatever it costs, well as long as it's not thousands.
Old 16th March 2011, 6:30 PM   #74
giles666

Quote:
Have received quotes from pet plan and medibank.. Both are significantly better than the quote from the RSPCA.

Medibank appears the best 'bang for buck'... $12000 cover (illness and accident) @ up to 100% of costs, $100 excess.. $36per month.

versus Pet plan.. $10000 cover (illness and accident) @ 100% of costs, $100 excess.. $41 per month.

However, pet plan states this - "Did you know that Petplan covers ongoing illness such as diabetes for the life of your pet." - I am not sure where medibank stands on this.

Thoughts?

Oh, it's a dog.. Border collie X.
Medibank DON'T cover ongoing illness.
giles666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2011, 9:25 PM   #75
Deltoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by giles666 View Post
Medibank DON'T cover ongoing illness.
As per my last post, I called them today and they said they do cover ongoing illnesses but the max they will pay for a single ongoing illness is whatever your yearly limit is. After that you can't claim against that illness for the life of the policy.