OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Other Topics > Pets & Animals

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 17th August 2015, 4:10 PM   #121
broccoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbb1935 View Post
So it's more a case of who to go with really.
I recently saw a report where they'd compared the various insurers' products. Canstar did it.

what type of dog are you getting?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyWolfe01 View Post
don't connect via usb, since that is the devil.
broccoli is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 17th August 2015, 4:52 PM   #122
Eclipsor

We've been with Petplan for a few years for our two cats. There are heaps of horror stories about them online but really they have been quite ok for us apart from being very broad with their classification of some prexisting conditions. So whoever you go with, if you are going to do it, don't hesitate. Get in before anything goes wrong.

Apart from this we have had two decent payouts and our premiums haven't spiked massively as a result (touch wood).
Old 17th August 2015, 5:25 PM   #123
cbb1935
Unregistered / Not Logged In

Quote:
Originally Posted by broccoli View Post
I recently saw a report where they'd compared the various insurers' products. Canstar did it.

what type of dog are you getting?
Ahh excellent I'll check that out.

A rather big mature show bred Lab So she's bigger boned/broader than most Labs you see around (built more like a Rottie actually).
Old 17th August 2015, 5:59 PM   #124
MR CHILLED
D'oh!

Quote:
A rather big mature show bred Lab
How old is she? Sounds like she's quite mature.
Old 17th August 2015, 8:16 PM   #125
cbb1935

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR CHILLED View Post
How old is she? Sounds like she's quite mature.
Shes 5 So .. I don't know, maybe you wouldn't really call her mature, but rather middle aged.
Old 17th August 2015, 9:07 PM   #126
broccoli

5's good, she's still young enough to have fun, but not so young as to have no brains at all. What colour is she, what's her name?
Quote:
Old 18th August 2015, 12:54 PM   #127
cbb1935

Quote:
5's good, she's still young enough to have fun, but not so young as to have no brains at all. What colour is she, what's her name?
That's why we picked an older dog, and apparently the show bred labs are more placid and less "hyperactive".

My wife reckons the owner *looks at himself*, will be more hyperactive than the dog LOL.

She's a chocolate lab. We are going to look at two (both same age). Either Coffee or Berry depending on which one we get.

It'll be my first dog (per se) as I had a Rottie years ago with an ex, but she kept it when we broke up after 10 months. Wife has had dogs all her life. I grew up with rabbits.

So pretty excited, as we have no children (and are unlikely to be able to have any).
Old 18th August 2015, 3:39 PM   #128
bboredd

Quote:
Need to start looking into this myself.

Seems the differences in costs between top and medium cover is only a few hundred. So it's more a case of who to go with really.

Should be picking up our princess in a few weeks time !!

MUST.... NOT....SPOIL ....

You only have two choices. Hollard or Allianz. Petplan is underwritten by Allianz and everyone else by Hollard.
Old 18th August 2015, 6:26 PM   #129
cbb1935

Cheers for that. Certainly looks that way.

Strange that the ones that rate very highly with CANSTAR, get absolutely hammered on productreview.com.au.

I guess like everything there are good and bad places. I'm just going to compare what the best one with CANSTAR has, and see how that compares to others.

We already have policies with Allianz and AAMI, so might be able to get a multi-policy discount.
Old 18th August 2015, 6:44 PM   #130
broccoli

Quote:
Strange that the ones that rate very highly with CANSTAR, get absolutely hammered on productreview.com.au.
Not really - there's nothing to show that online reviews are genuine.
Quote:
Old 22nd August 2015, 7:13 AM   #131
MR CHILLED
D'oh!

If anyone is close to purchasing Woolworths are offering 1 month free or e-card.

https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/208078
Old 22nd October 2015, 12:45 AM   #132
holdennutta

Now I have two dogs I'm beginning to think that pet insurance is a good idea.

I notice that Medibank have only 80% cover now. But I'm a member for health so I get a 10% discount on premium.

Since August when the last post was has there been any major changes in who is recommended?
holdennutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2015, 9:08 AM   #133
cbb1935

Been looking into this a while and all the Hollard underwritten companies (all but PetPlan), have really shit exclusions (namely bilateral conditions clauses) so you can only claim once for stuff like knee ligaments and dysplasia. Pretty crap if your dog does both knees.

That said Petplan has a few things that aren't great either ($150 excess per claim, high premiums) but you get back up to 100% of bills.

Also they are one of the only insurers who will cover your pet once they turn 8 or 9. Most drop cover completely our revert to the most basic of cover once they go past that. Petplan just apply an excess premium and lower the claim amount to max 65% when they get into twilight years.

Pp also require you to have dental scale and clean every 6 months in order to claim dental conditions.

How that helps.
Old 22nd October 2015, 11:22 AM   #134
broccoli

Thanks
Quote:
have really shit exclusions (namely bilateral conditions clauses)
Also, if they can blame something on insects, it isn't covered. My dog had dermatitis and because the vet mentioned that a flea bite might have set it off, that was that.

Quote:
Petplan just apply an excess premium and lower the claim amount to max 65% when they get into twilight years.
Which is when you might most need the insurance - you can pay premiums for years and years and when you need it, you don't get the full benefit.

Quote:
Pp also require you to have dental scale and clean every 6 months in order to claim dental conditions.
I thought it wasn't just for dental? Anyway, that's nuts. There's no way I'd be putting my dog under an anaesthetic every 6 months, let alone paying that sort of money at that frequency. [/QUOTE]
Quote:
Old 22nd October 2015, 11:51 AM   #135
cbb1935

Quote:
Thanks
Also, if they can blame something on insects, it isn't covered. My dog had dermatitis and because the vet mentioned that a flea bite might have set it off, that was that.

I thought it wasn't just for dental? Anyway, that's nuts. There's no way I'd be putting my dog under an anaesthetic every 6 months, let alone paying that sort of money at that frequency.
That's where places like GreenCross Vets Healthy Pets Plan can co-exist with pet insurance.

Dental Scale and Clean at our vets is about $250-$300 apparently. I still need to investigate if a simple dental check is enough though. If its not done PetPlan can reject claims like tooth removal, abcess, gingivitis treatments (understandable).

PetPlan has like a 40 page PDS, and most is repeated depending on certain scenarios.

Whilst we could pocket the $1000 a year it'll cost us for pet insurance, all it would take is one mishap (getting in and out of car), or her to slip down stairs or something at home, and we could be up for thousands. So assuming this being the case, we'd need to put away probably $3-5k a year *just* incase something happens.

As compared to $1k a year (or so) for insurance (which also covers if she is injured in a car accident I believe).

It's a real tricky one and I guess it depends much on the dogs lifestyle, home, and breed. Because our girl is quite active (regular trips to dog parks, dog beaches, bush trails), our place has stairs, and she jumps in and out of our hatches.

That said if she stayed all the time in the backyard execpt for walks and slept most of the time, I'd have to question if it was worth it.