Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Modding

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 26th February 2009, 11:27 AM   #1
elstado Thread Starter

Lightbulb Post your Rate My Cables here! (Mk II) (No IMG quoting)

Ok, so the last one got canned because people kept quoting pictures, so if you want this one to survive:
PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES in your reply posts!!

Updated:

Also, please try and post thumbnail links to your images in order to reduce the time and bandwidth consumption that posting full size pics can create, especially if all users do it.

(Yes I do realise I am the main culprit, but I am posting pics to suite from now on).

That being said I think this thread is a good place to show off any recent cable management work you have performed and to also get advice on how to get it looking neater and cleaner from other members.

All you have to do is post a pic or two and a brief explanation of what you did, how you did it, problems etc. It's also a good idea, if you have one, to post a before pic so people can see the hard work you have done!

So without further ado, here's my case atm, I am 98% happy with it and I think I just might move the cathodes around a little and then I will be 100% happy with it. Also wanting to install a blue led tri-cool fan at the rear and move the stock tri-cool to the centre hdd cage mount, but will see how I go.

I've spent roughly 5 hours over the past few days on cable management. It's hard to make it neat with a case that isn't particularly optimised or designed for quick and easy cable management.

Anyhow, here's a crappy mobile phone pic of what it looked like when I first assembled it. I didn't bother making it neat then as I knew I would be reconfiguring and moving things about.

Originally:

The rest of the pics were taken with my new Olympus camera:

After a quick clean-up:

And here's a pic of it I took the other day after spending a few hours and a few hundred cable ties on it cleaning it up a little bit:

Side kinda view of it:

Powered on with the side panel off at night:

Way more work to come, including a front 5.25" bay panel mod for a rocker switch to be installed, a minor mod on a pci bracket to allow cables through and eventually a themed side window mod. Gotta get some tools and gear together and get on top of uni in the mean-time. :P

More info plus progress updates on this project can be found in the Sonata 3 case mod project link in my sig.

Last edited by elstado; 1st March 2009 at 9:12 PM. Reason: New title, removed full size images and replaced with thumbnails.
elstado is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 26th February 2009, 8:01 PM   #2
hsv2000

cool.
reversing hdd's ftw!
hsv2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2009, 8:08 PM   #3
elstado Thread Starter

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsv2000 View Post
cool.
reversing hdd's ftw!
Cheers. It was a real pain to do though, as the power cable was for (connecting) both drives and it was tight, so I had to do a juggle to fit them in properly. Got it in the end though and yes it looks way better now.
Old 26th February 2009, 9:55 PM   #4
HrdwrBoB

Then 900 is really quite a cramped case. Add a hotswap bay, two HDDs, a fan controller with temp inputs, power for everything and three lots of inverters and six 4" CCFL tubes, it gets very crowded. I've done what I can...
I mostly used heaps of cable ties, with electrical tape here and there where it was needed. The real problem is just the sheer amount of cables I need.
in order to do this 100% right, I'd like to change back to a modular PSU, and get all new SATA cables (UV reactive), as well as buy a 12" CCFL for the side. probably also change around and resleeve some of the cables (probably sleeve them together)
The problem with doing all that is that just when you finish, you get new gear.

Nice clear airflow around the graphics card

Hard to tell I've done anything, after all that work :/

Looks much better with the case on.

in between the pics of the re-wiring and the pics in the dark, I got a GTX 260, and had to redo a portion of it, but I think ultimately it looks better now because the GTX260 is just a nice black blob.

[
the fans are UV reactive LED fans
Behind each fan is two 4" UV cold cathodes. The 900 has little tabs to stop drives coming too far forward, and the space in front of them is JUST enough for a 'naked' cold cathode to fit.

PS elstado, wtf did your graphics card go.

Last edited by HrdwrBoB; 26th February 2009 at 10:06 PM.
HrdwrBoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2009, 10:24 PM   #5
glenpinn

i had no idea till now what an antec earthwatts psu looked like with the cables, now i saw your psu in your case, it will remind me never to buy one, that is horrible having single stranded wiring like that without any sleeving except on the 24 pin connector.

ok i deleted my photobucket links here now that i learnt how to add thumbnails, so please refer to my post at the top of page 3.

Last edited by glenpinn; 1st March 2009 at 8:40 PM.
glenpinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2009, 2:02 AM   #6
elstado Thread Starter

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by HrdwrBoB View Post
PS elstado, wtf did your graphics card go.
Looks good, I like the UV effects.

My videocard.. well... basically, it died. 8800GT's seem to do that more often than I would like.

I've just put a X300 in today as a temp replacement as the 8800GT is probably 3/4 the way to XFX now and won't be getting replaced for another week or two. I needed my main system back up and running for Uni work (which I am not doing, stupidly ).

I also moved around the cathodes this evening, I like them much more where they are now.

and

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenpinn View Post
i had no idea till now what an antec earthwatts psu looked like with the cables, now i saw your psu in your case, it will remind me never to buy one, that is horrible having single stranded wiring like that without any sleeving except on the 24 pin connector.

or am i missing something here ???

from your first image, it looks a nightmare (the antec psu cables i mean

otherwise its nice and tidy, and thats coming from a guy who thinks all this hiding of cables is stupid, i like to have my cables where i can get to them if i need to, i like tidy, but im not anal about it.
Yes it was a nightmare, I seriously dream of the day that I get a nice HX-520, or similar modular, PSU so I can drastically cut down on the amount of unnecessary power cables bunched up in my case. And yes I really would like to get some nice, black sleeving as well to neaten and cover up those spaghetti looking yellow and black power cables!

I think I've done alright for what I'm working with though.

Quote:
my spare E8400 gaming pc built from parts bought from this forum a few months ago

my sons E8400 gaming pc
Now my poor E8400 feels common.

You should OC your son's E8400 rig to 3.6GHz at least, if anything just to get 1:1 with that nice 800MHz Corsair memory. Stock cooler will handle it fine!

Last edited by elstado; 1st March 2009 at 9:26 PM.
Old 27th February 2009, 5:18 PM   #7
glenpinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by elstado View Post
Now my poor E8400 feels common.
You should OC your son's E8400 rig to 3.6GHz at least, if anything just to get 1:1 with that nice 800MHz Corsair memory. Stock cooler will handle it fine!
my Q6600 CM-690 case as of today, i was gunna re-do the sata cables but couldnt be bothered, might tidy it up later on tho.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...;20PC/PC09.jpg

sons E8400 pc has the 4870 dual fan card (xpertvision) which can be a noisy card in auto fan mode, but as for overclocking it, nah im happy to leave it at 3.0 for now, maybe later when games demand more grunt ill put it up a bit, but with the 4870 and 22" benq screen, its great.

my Q6600 i have clocked to 3.0ghz without re-setting any voltages etc, and it runs sweet, especially given i do lots of video editing and encoding.
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...PC/09CPU-Z.jpg

the spare 8400 gamer runs stock as well but that has a Q6600 cooler on it so the cpu tends to be a few degrees cooler than my sons, but if i do O/C my sons pc ill get a budget type cpu cooler, or ill put the q6600 one on his.

Last edited by glenpinn; 27th February 2009 at 6:12 PM.
Old 27th February 2009, 5:24 PM   #8
glenpinn

hey how do i get an image to display in my posts ???

is there any particular resolution or size i need to make the photos cos sometimes i see some photos are huge, other use a thumbnail so u can click on it to view it at a larger size.
Old 27th February 2009, 10:41 PM   #9
LeadAccelerator

Up the top of the page just under the banner ad there are some links, click on pix and it will take you to this page.

Keep the file size under 500kB and you can upload the pics to OCAU, you can even make a gallery of your pics.
Open your pics in MS Paint and save them as it will reduce the file size, if they are still too big then resize them in MS Paint, unless you have a photo editing program in which case just use that.

When done copy and paste the text shown in the box at the bottom into your post and you should get it to show like this:

Click to view gallery!

Which is my Antec 1200 housing the parts in my sig.
Old 27th February 2009, 10:50 PM   #10
qwertylesh

I love the all black look of those, but hate the unfriendly 3.5" HDD Placement

Waiting on an 8 pin ATX extension cable to neaten mine up a bit, need a new cam since my current takes nasty looking pictures.

will re-post... eventually
:O
qwertylesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2009, 11:31 PM   #11
glenpinn

Like this

Click to view full size!

You have to copy/paste the text in the 2nd or 3rd box down not the text in the bottom box to do the thumbnail view.

I tried to copy the text from the last box on the image page but it doesnt work.

Last edited by glenpinn; 27th February 2009 at 11:41 PM.
Old 28th February 2009, 1:28 AM   #12
Ridah

I am no good at cabling and I picked up the 900 when it came out simply because it looked cool and nothing else. Any suggestions on how I can improve the cabling in my case? Or should I get a different case?

Click to view full size!

Steam Community / PSN ID - ash-au
Ridah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2009, 1:31 AM   #13
popolopolous
(Banned or Deleted)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HrdwrBoB View Post
Then 900 is really quite a cramped case. Add a hotswap bay, two HDDs, a fan controller with temp inputs, power for everything and three lots of inverters and six 4" CCFL tubes, it gets very crowded. I've done what I can...
I mostly used heaps of cable ties, with electrical tape here and there where it was needed. The real problem is just the sheer amount of cables I need.
in order to do this 100% right, I'd like to change back to a modular PSU, and get all new SATA cables (UV reactive), as well as buy a 12" CCFL for the side. probably also change around and resleeve some of the cables (probably sleeve them together)
The problem with doing all that is that just when you finish, you get new gear.
Ahhh the joy of cable management in a 900 :\

I too own a 900 and your cable management is better than mine, despite the fact I have a modular PSU (HX-620). I've just built it though and so the management isn't finished, but I plan to loom the smaller cables using that cool black cable looming stuff from PCCG.

Wish my case looked as good as yours though - the blue of the case fans goes fine with the white of my CPU cooler, however not so much so with the orange and red of my motherboard :\ Need to find a way to change those.
popolopolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2009, 2:56 PM   #14
RVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridah View Post
I am no good at cabling and I picked up the 900 when it came out simply because it looked cool and nothing else. Any suggestions on how I can improve the cabling in my case? Or should I get a different case?

http://www.overclockers.com.au/pix/image.php?id=pfdby&f=1'[/IMG]
Click to view full size!
i would unplug everything first and start from scratch. have you tried putting the 4pin ATX under the mobo tray and plugging it in at the top?

since the cables are so long, i'd consider hiding the ones which connect to the Sata drives. probably on the side of the cage so they just come out to plug in. reduce the mass cable clotting on the bottom, unused cables you can just shove somewhere where you wont see it haha.
RVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2009, 3:01 PM   #15
eklipze

antec 900 is the worst case for cable management, unless you have a dremel or a holesaw to mod it, you are screwed.
eklipze is offline   Reply With Quote