Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Modding

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 28th February 2009, 3:19 PM   #16
ill-minded

my half arsed effort so far. not going to bother with tidying up the cables up the top as theres nowhere to tuck them away. will probably try to tidy up the sata cables at some point though.

elstado, i reckon you could route the zalman fan controller cable behind the motherboard and if you don't use the front panel audio, just unplug it and tuck it behind the hard drives
ill-minded is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 28th February 2009, 4:26 PM   #17
popolopolous
(Banned or Deleted)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVP View Post
i would unplug everything first and start from scratch. have you tried putting the 4pin ATX under the mobo tray and plugging it in at the top?
Doesn't work. The bottom mounted PSU means the 4pin ATX cable only just reaches the socket - it's fairly hard to route.

Spent a few hours today routing cables, I'll get a picture when my camera is working again >.>
popolopolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2009, 4:46 PM   #18
PhuckNut

Before:

After:

My main problem being an oldschool psu without all the newfangled connectors so I have a tonne of adaptors in this pc.

Also, due to the geniuses at antec deciding you don't need access to the other side of the case, the back panel is riveted on, so you can't route cables behind the motherboard tray.

Next job:

Last edited by PhuckNut; 28th February 2009 at 4:48 PM.
PhuckNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2009, 5:20 PM   #19
Ridah

Spent a couple of hours redoing the cables today and getting rid of the majority of the dust. I bought some cable ties and stuff and use them where I could. Its not much better, but the area around the hard drive is not as congested...somewhat.

The bulk of my problems seem to be the fact that there's not enough space to place my hard drives in the second compartment due to the size of the 9800GTX. Also no way to route cables from behind the mb tray.

So I am looking at buying a different case but don't want to spend more than $350, the coolermaster cosmos seems like a good buy.

Steam Community / PSN ID - ash-au
Ridah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2009, 6:12 PM   #20
WalkingCactus

Recently got my Gigabyte 4850 512mb from MSY. Added a PCIe 6pin Power.

Better view of my cabling but with old MSI 8600GT Passive.

TO DO:
  • Get longer UV SATA Cables
  • Get UV Cathode
  • Get 4GB RAM with Heatspreaders.

Crap quality pics taken with iPhone 3G
WalkingCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2009, 7:03 PM   #21
stenchlord

Last PC I put together for someone... (clicky to see original)

stenchlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2009, 11:53 PM   #22
elstado Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ill-minded View Post
my half arsed effort so far. not going to bother with tidying up the cables up the top as theres nowhere to tuck them away. will probably try to tidy up the sata cables at some point though.
Looks good so far.

Quote:
elstado, i reckon you could route the zalman fan controller cable behind the motherboard and if you don't use the front panel audio, just unplug it and tuck it behind the hard drives
As the panel behind the mobo is riveted on, it would be really had to have any cables running behind the fan controller cable running under the mobo. i want to try and move the control unit to the 5.2" bay for and incorporate it into the plastic panel, which will make it easier to change speeds and also hid away the cable and control box.

i also use the front audio so i have to have it running across. i might drill out the rivets and run a couple cables behind the mobo when i get the time and then rivet it back in place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhuckNut View Post
My main problem being an oldschool psu without all the newfangled connectors so I have a tonne of adaptors in this pc.

Also, due to the geniuses at antec deciding you don't need access to the other side of the case, the back panel is riveted on, so you can't route cables behind the motherboard tray
i totally know what you mean. what case are you using looks like a sonata of some kind? v.2?
elstado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2009, 11:41 AM   #23
PhuckNut

Yeah it's a sonata v2.

I'm considering buying something like the antec 900 though.
This case is alright, but the lack of back panel access, and the small size of the motherboard compartment is limiting - I can't fit in a larger video card like a GTX260 or higher, and if you look carefully on the right hand side of the motherboard there are connectors that hang off the edge, IDE and sata connectors that were a bitch to get in.

I ended up tucking most of the cables behind the drive bays, and I need to get a shorter floppy drive cable (yes I still have a floppy drive in this pc). That's the blue cable you see snaking through on the right.

Main thing I wanted to do was clean up the area around the ram slots - last ram upgrade I did was by feel =(
PhuckNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2009, 1:05 PM   #24
Gua5d1aN

ah the chaos of managing an antec 900, well it looks better than it did before i cleaned it up, airflow is good now aswell. temps are way down, even OC'ed its nice.

Pic 1 - outside

Pic 2 - inside

pic 3 - up-close inside

btw that xfire setup is 1x4850 1gig, and 1x4850 512mb cards, i couldnt fit a third card in to sit properly without tinkering with the case...which will happen very soon
Phenom ll X4 940BE @ 3.8ghz | DFI Lanparty DK-790FX-M2RS | ATI 6970 | 8GB Corsair DDR2 PC2-8500 Dominators | SteelSeries Xai | G110 | Creative Arena Headset | Logitech X-540 | Raven RV2 | BenQ E2400HD
My Blog and Portfolio
Gua5d1aN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2009, 2:06 PM   #25
Pipster

hey just wondering, what sorta score do u get with a 1gig and a 512 4850. cause i have 2 4850 512mbs in crossfire at x8 and i was just wondering if its worth selling one and getting something better
[Logitech 'G' Owners Club Member #28]
Pipster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2009, 3:08 PM   #26
Sil

Recently done.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!
Sil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2009, 5:25 PM   #27
ill-minded

Quote:
Originally Posted by elstado View Post
As the panel behind the mobo is riveted on, it would be really had to have any cables running behind the fan controller cable running under the mobo. i want to try and move the control unit to the 5.2" bay for and incorporate it into the plastic panel, which will make it easier to change speeds and also hid away the cable and control box.

i also use the front audio so i have to have it running across. i might drill out the rivets and run a couple cables behind the mobo when i get the time and then rivet it back in place.

i kinda meant just behind the motherboard, not hte motherboard tray :P

also, if you're going to th effort to drill out the rivets, you might as well put screws back in rather than riveting it back i reckon
ill-minded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2009, 5:34 PM   #28
glenpinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by elstado View Post
Ok, so the last one got canned because people kept quoting pictures, so if you want this one to survive:
PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES in your reply posts!!
can i please ask why people post all these wretched full size photos into their posts when thumbnail images are a far better way of doing it, so those who want to look at some of the photos can click on the thumb links to see it them in full size mode.

when i come to threads like these where huge photos are posted directly into the posts, it takes ages for the page to load up and while im scrolling down to locate a post, the photos are still loading up and i continually have to re-scroll to where i was before, and having these large images makes the page length seemingly go on forever.

i know it might seem petty, but its annoying especially when there are pages that contain several posts with 5 or more large photos posted.

anyway, nice contribution from everyone all the same, and this was/is not intended as a thread crap incase anyone thinks it might be, i just think there should be a policy of posting thumbnail images only, which in turn offer a link to the full size image which can be viewed away from the page we are looking at.

cheers

Last edited by glenpinn; 1st March 2009 at 5:43 PM.
glenpinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2009, 7:47 PM   #29
Pipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenpinn View Post
<snip>

+1 to that
[Logitech 'G' Owners Club Member #28]
Pipster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2009, 7:48 PM   #30
Dexamenus

another +1 to thumbnails