Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Modding

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 1st March 2009, 8:09 PM   #31
glenpinn

ok thx guys for the support, it was funny cos i thought some posters might actually have flamed me for my comments, but as this thread of all threads was going to get lots of photos posted, i thought it might be a relevant thread to post up my comments, because i was already getting annoyed having to come here and have the pages take so long to finish loading up the photos.

if i see a thumbnail im not interested in looking at i dont need to click on it, and thats the way i like it to be.

i was in several "For Sale" threads recently where the sellers posted up over 20 items for sale, and every item listed had a full size image of them posted into the OP and it took 5 minutes for the page to load up properly, and then you get bidders who actually "quoted" the photo link in their bid post which then added more full size images to the pages making it even worse.

anyway, enough of the rants, just wanted to mention it thats all, as i was the manager and image keeper of a similar thread over at Whingepool until mid last year, which was called "photos or your desktop" and i created a photobucket album where we stored over 1200 individual photos posted into the thread, and all photos posted into the thread were actually thumbnails and it worked very well.

cheers

edit: ok i think i have the thumb thing sorted out, so here is the 4 computers in my home as they are currently

my Q6600 in a CM-690 case

Click to view full size!

my sons E8400 gaming pc (3D Aurora case)

Click to view full size!

my spare E8400 gaming pc built from parts bought from this forum a few months ago (3D Aurora case)

Click to view full size!

s939 x2 4200 daughters pc, soon to be file/network server in a generic deluxe case

Click to view full size!

Last edited by glenpinn; 1st March 2009 at 8:44 PM.
glenpinn is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 1st March 2009, 8:46 PM   #32
ntravis

My p182b, Hope this works!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!
ntravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2009, 8:58 PM   #33
elstado Thread Starter

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ill-minded View Post
i kinda meant just behind the motherboard, not hte motherboard tray :P

also, if you're going to th effort to drill out the rivets, you might as well put screws back in rather than riveting it back i reckon
Ah-ha! Good idea, I guess there's a few mm of room that I could route it under. And yes if I break those rivets I'll replace them with regular pc screws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenpinn View Post
can i please ask why people post all these wretched full size photos into their posts when thumbnail images are a far better way of doing it, so those who want to look at some of the photos can click on the thumb links to see it them in full size mode.
Good point. I'll try and mod my original post re this issue and I'll also try and mod my posts as I have posted full size images myself. Bear with me.
elstado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2009, 9:19 PM   #34
oaks101

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenpinn View Post
can i please ask why people post all these wretched full size photos into their posts when thumbnail images are a far better way of doing it, so those who want to look at some of the photos can click on the thumb links to see it them in full size mode.

when i come to threads like these where huge photos are posted directly into the posts, it takes ages for the page to load up and while im scrolling down to locate a post, the photos are still loading up and i continually have to re-scroll to where i was before, and having these large images makes the page length seemingly go on forever.

i know it might seem petty, but its annoying especially when there are pages that contain several posts with 5 or more large photos posted.

anyway, nice contribution from everyone all the same, and this was/is not intended as a thread crap incase anyone thinks it might be, i just think there should be a policy of posting thumbnail images only, which in turn offer a link to the full size image which can be viewed away from the page we are looking at.

cheers
i dont want to sound rude but just get good internet works fine for me. i really hate clicking on links takes to long i would rather see them all on one page...i may aswell go on google and type in cable management. imo keep your images on the page but keep it small.
Old 1st March 2009, 9:28 PM   #35
elstado Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaks101 View Post
i dont want to sound rude but just get good internet works fine for me. i really hate clicking on links takes to long i would rather see them all on one page...i may aswell go on google and type in cable management. imo keep your images on the page but keep it small.
Yeah I was going to say I have pretty average internet speed and I have no issues with load times. Having said that I have modified most of my img posts to be thumbs for users who need to conserve bandwidth or have slower internet speeds.
Old 1st March 2009, 9:41 PM   #36
PhuckNut

I think a well planned image goes fine embeded in the page.

A 3mb image from a ZOMG 10MP interpolated mobile phone would be inappropriate, but I prefer to embed a reasonable size image (generally 800x600 or thereabouts) weighing in at about 100-150k.

If you really don't want to see images in thread, there is a VBB option to not display images... if your internet access is really that bad, maybe you should look at enabling that option.

This thread loads fine for me, and I have relatively shit internet. Especially when revisiting, as the full sized images are cached anyway (however the thumbnails generally aren't as quite often they're regenerated on the fly).

Anyway.. back on topic...

So how're those cables up north doing eh...
PhuckNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2009, 9:49 PM   #37
glenpinn

Quote:
hey dude i have a decent internet connection, this isnt about what im using, its about the load up time of all these pages with all these large photos, and i was only making a suggestion and posting my own thoughts on the matter. I just hate embedded images the way its being done.

i would rather look at a thumbnail and if i dont want to see it in full size i dont click on it, its that simple, yet i dont mind clicking a thumbnail if it draws my attention. I prefer it this way.

if you dont like having to click on links, i say your just lazy.

BTW im on westnet with a 1500/256 plan and only because on my exchange we cant get adsl2 (thanks to telstra) and the 8Mbit plans are too pricey to bother.

Last edited by glenpinn; 1st March 2009 at 9:55 PM.
Old 1st March 2009, 10:15 PM   #38
oaks101

owell back on topic.

no need to fear cable management is here!

thats my new cpu cooler...thermaltake golf 325 with a zalman 80mm fan...it fangs.
7600gs vid card

very very clean pc. note. i do have a 120mm and a 80mm fan on the side panel(with leds)

Last edited by oaks101; 1st March 2009 at 10:20 PM.
oaks101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2009, 10:48 PM   #39
elstado Thread Starter

I would have that bottom red SATA cable and those I/O cables more hidden away, maybe going to the right instead of the left and then tucked up and cable tied somewhere? Rather than being stretched over the mobo.

Also, some cable sleeving wouldn't go astray with those yellow and black power cables.
Old 1st March 2009, 10:54 PM   #40
NanoDuke

Quote:
owell back on topic.

http://i451.photobucket.com/albums/q...s/IMGP3593.jpg

http://i451.photobucket.com/albums/q...s/IMGP3588.jpg

thats my new cpu cooler...thermaltake golf 325 with a zalman 80mm fan...it fangs.
7600gs vid card

very very clean pc. note. i do have a 120mm and a 80mm fan on the side panel(with leds)
Where's the IDE cable for the CDROM?
Old 1st March 2009, 11:43 PM   #41
Gua5d1aN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipster View Post
hey just wondering, what sorta score do u get with a 1gig and a 512 4850. cause i have 2 4850 512mbs in crossfire at x8 and i was just wondering if its worth selling one and getting something better
i havnt had a chance to bench the 2 4850's asyet, but they perform well, i run everything maxed out, at 1920x1080, and ive holding 50+ fps always on all the major new games, i havnt dipped below 50 asyet, so yeh they perform well for me, i have accually oc'ed them aswell, so they perform better than stock obviously. also im running the link at 16x, why are u running it at 8x?
Phenom ll X4 940BE @ 3.8ghz | DFI Lanparty DK-790FX-M2RS | ATI 6970 | 8GB Corsair DDR2 PC2-8500 Dominators | SteelSeries Xai | G110 | Creative Arena Headset | Logitech X-540 | Raven RV2 | BenQ E2400HD
My Blog and Portfolio
Gua5d1aN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2009, 11:46 PM   #42
Pipster

P35 chipset and my bad, one is at x16 and the ohter at x8
[Logitech 'G' Owners Club Member #28]
Pipster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2009, 12:14 AM   #43
elstado Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhuckNut View Post
Yeah it's a sonata v2.

I'm considering buying something like the antec 900 though.
This case is alright, but the lack of back panel access, and the small size of the motherboard compartment is limiting - I can't fit in a larger video card like a GTX260 or higher, and if you look carefully on the right hand side of the motherboard there are connectors that hang off the edge, IDE and sata connectors that were a bitch to get in.
Yeah I have the same sort of issues with my Sonata 3. I really want to sell this as it's still in mint condition atm and buy a larger case like the P182. I also really want to get a modular PSU. Don't really have the money for the upgrade and don't have the time to do a sale and a transplant either.
Old 2nd March 2009, 12:17 AM   #44
PhuckNut

Yeah sorry, it was the p182 I was looking at, not the 900.

Can't stand that gamer/ricer shit in my case.

I just need to confirm how many hdd's you can fit in the bottom hdd bay -there seem to be conflicting reports and I have 4 at present in a raid-0 config.

I intend to leave out the middle hdd bay in the future for a graphic card(s) upgrade.

This psu is old, but still going quite strong, so I don't really see the need to replace it at this stage.

The sonata also kinda sucks on airflow it seems - although I have kinda crammed it full.
PhuckNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2009, 1:10 AM   #45
glenpinn

Quote:

Click to view full size!

personally that case is very boring and dismal to look at, and i hate front to back hdd bays.
i have used paint to highlite a few things that i think look pretty crappy.

that red sata cable looks dumb going thru that hole then across the back to the hdd (as previously mentioned)

and all those horrible exposed coloured wires i circled, they look aweful and they could be sleeved and/or hidden better.

those cases are a bit like my 2 3D aurora cases, there is too much wasted space around the mobo area, but the aurora at least has side mounted hdd bays and looks 100% better inside than the case you have.

as i said before, im not a fan of all this cable hiding stuff, but if you do want to do it, u got to do it right, and i personally dont like yours, it still looks messy to me.

yeah, i cant talk, but i havent done a deliberate cable job on any of mine, i just posted them to show them as they are.

cheers