Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Modding

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 2nd March 2009, 10:49 AM   #61
RevIt

Man that case is RED, lol :P But looks cool as in the day shot, the lights are a little full on for my liking, lol

I'm new too this place so i thought i'd introduce my baby, gotta say i'm jealous of some rigs here

The gfx card psu has been disconnected for now cause it was just over kill but a few more hddys and a physx card might see it plugged in again..

Bit dirty yes, today is cleaning day, but it ain't bad for a month of running with the sides off, lol :P

Cheers

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 2nd March 2009, 3:22 PM   #62
jkmatt

Here is my 690, should paint it black, run the 4pin behind the motherboard, tidy up the case audio connector and front panel wiring, get some longer sata cables and extend and modify the PSU wiring, but i wont do any of that.

Click to view full size!
Old 2nd March 2009, 3:29 PM   #63
JuzIE

Dude, thats the sexiest looking HAF i know!

I have one, so id know. LOL
Old 2nd March 2009, 4:23 PM   #64
glenpinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevIt View Post
Man that case is RED, lol :P But looks cool as in the day shot, the lights are a little full on for my liking, lol

I'm new too this place so i thought i'd introduce my baby, gotta say i'm jealous of some rigs here
heck i think most would be jealous of your case dude, its awesome.

question tho, are those drives in your case removable sata trays for easy hdd swapping ???

Click to view full size!

if so, its a great idea especially if your drives have to go into the drive bay with the power/sata cables having to be connected via the right side of the case, as with the CM-690.
if i want to take a drive out i need to remove the right side panel to do so, unlike the 3D Aurora which has the drives connected at the left side because there is a fixed back plate behind the drive bay.

i have 1x removavable sata tray in each of my 4 rigs but it is fitted into the 5.5" bay so i can access the drive from the front as they are used to house our backup hard drives which is done once a week.

Last edited by glenpinn; 2nd March 2009 at 4:28 PM.
glenpinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2009, 4:35 PM   #65
Pugs

yes those are "hot swap Bay devices"

Cm690 has 5 "stock" HD bays, and it comes with 1 x 5.25 --> 3.5 drive bay adaptor... also you can add either the cooleermaster 4 in 3 bay device which then adds 4 more 3.5 hd into the space of 3 5.25 devices so if you had both of those plus a dvd drive you could have 10Hd's in "stock" locations.

the ones inthe cm690 arn't that god for hot swapping as you would need to take the side of the case off each time unless you modded it....
Pugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2009, 4:45 PM   #66
RevIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenpinn View Post
heck i think most would be jealous of your case dude, its awesome.

question tho, are those drives in your case removable sata trays for easy hdd swapping ???

if so, its a great idea especially if your drives have to go into the drive bay with the power/sata cables having to be connected via the right side of the case, as with the CM-690.
if i want to take a drive out i need to remove the right side panel to do so, unlike the 3D Aurora which has the drives connected at the left side because there is a fixed back plate behind the drive bay.

i have 1x removavable sata tray in each of my 4 rigs but it is fitted into the 5.5" bay so i can access the drive from the front as they are used to house our backup hard drives which is done once a week.
Thanks

I will be pulling it down and painting the M/B tray and some bits and pieces though, black will look heaps more sexy! I'm also looking for a good air brush artist to paint something on this nice big black side panel, it's too big, too black and too boring, needs personalizing

Na, same same, although with some toying and the right bits i'm sure it could be done If thermaltake did it the bastards would charge us the other arm at least i bet, lol. It would be nice to have just one though. Good case but, the easiest pc i have ever assembled even though it took the longest time, lol. But yes the trays pull out extremely easy, just not the wiring, lol.

Cheers

Last edited by RevIt; 2nd March 2009 at 4:58 PM.
RevIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2009, 5:05 PM   #67
glenpinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugs View Post
the ones inthe cm690 arn't that god for hot swapping as you would need to take the side of the case off each time unless you modded it....
not sure what bit your referring to here ???
having to take the side of the case off each time.

anyway, heres the way mine is setup

my cm-690 lower hdd bay

Click to view full size!

sata tray from inside the case

Click to view full size!

sata tray in the front hdd bay

Click to view full size!

one of the 4 sata trays used for backups

Click to view full size!

i actually saw some of those hdd racks your referring to, but i dont need so many drives in any of my rigs, so the single sata tray in the front of each one is fine for me, but having those hot swap trays in my 690 case would save me taking the right side panel off to disconnect the power and sata cables.
glenpinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2009, 7:06 PM   #68
RogueGamingPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenpinn View Post
that looks awesome m8, cant wait for a daylight shot to see it without all the lights
Some better pictures for your viewing pleasure....

Last edited by RogueGamingPC; 5th March 2009 at 4:37 PM.
RogueGamingPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2009, 7:08 PM   #69
RevIt

That does look awesome, i might drop the black idea and go with some darkish blue instead

cheers
Old 2nd March 2009, 7:31 PM   #70
RogueGamingPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuzIE View Post
Dude, thats the sexiest looking HAF i know!

I have one, so id know. LOL
Cheers, only problem is where to next, my appetite is only growing. Already thinking of new Silverstone Stealth, just wish it had more room

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevIt View Post
That does look awesome, i might drop the black idea and go with some darkish blue instead

cheers
If you ever need a good airbrush artist visit my mates site!!
www.antmanhelmetdesign.com

I have already approach him for some of my work, expensive, but perfect in every detail.

Last edited by Ma Baker; 6th March 2009 at 5:08 AM. Reason: 2 posts merged
RogueGamingPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2009, 1:03 AM   #71
elstado Thread Starter

RogueGamingPC, that HAF case is pure f$%king awesome.
elstado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2009, 12:52 PM   #72
ill-minded

got a little bored so i decided to tidy up a little bit. fixed up the sata cables so they're much nicer now, and cleaned up the psu cables

ill-minded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2009, 1:08 PM   #73
elstado Thread Starter

Looks good ill-minded.

About as neat and clean as your going to get using a normal case with standard cables.
elstado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2009, 1:34 PM   #74
MudBlood

What would look good is the HDD's turned around. then you can have the cables more hidden. But the power cabling can be an issue sometimes with doing that, hence why mine are in there the same way as yours
MudBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2009, 1:36 PM   #75
ill-minded

thanks man

yeah, the old centurion 5 case is getting a bit long in the tooth these days. it certainly looks a hell of a lot better than it used to though. only gripe that i have with it is the lack of hard drive bays and only a single 80mm fan in the front to cool the drives. it's served me well over the last 3 years though, and it's seen a few different iterations of hardware.

once i can afford a new case and psu, i'll probably sell it off with some old hardware i have

mudblood, i'd turn the drives around, but theres a few reasons stopping me.
1. the cables would foul on the fan in the front
2. access to the front is pretty terrible, and i remove the bottom hard drive on a regular sort of basis
3. i'm not really after minimal cables, but rather, just a neat, functional case

Last edited by ill-minded; 3rd March 2009 at 1:42 PM.
ill-minded is offline   Reply With Quote