Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Software Topics > PC Games > MMOs

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 13th January 2010, 3:49 PM   #16
Pinkeh

I agree with you influx

AoC, Warhammer, Ragnarok, WoW, Eve, Everquest 1, 2, Runes of Magic, Richard Garriots Tabula Rasa, UO, LOTRO and a ton of Chinese / Korean / Japanese MMOGs...

All discarded.

But getting in to the hype at the peak of its success was pretty fun.

Once the fun is gone, it's just a matter of botting / farming the shit out of them until it's no longer profitable, and move on.
ASUS P8P67 EVO | I5 2500K @ 3.3GHZ | KINGSTON HYPER FURY 2x8GB DDR3 RAM | GIGABYTE GTX 1080 G1 GAMING 8GB | SAMSUNG 850 EVO 512GB + WD CAVIAR BLACK 4X6 TB | NZXT PHANTOM FULL TOWER | 3X DELL U2311H @ 5760X1080 RESOLUTION

Last edited by Pinkeh; 13th January 2010 at 3:52 PM.
Pinkeh is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 13th January 2010, 4:12 PM   #17
sYnical-X

Lost my life for abit when FFXI came out, will probably lose abit more life when FFXIII is out.

Still have yet to come across an MMO since that can compare to it. WoW is major pffftt, and anything with instances is goes against the whole point of MMO's imo.

Atmosphere was fantastic which somehow, which no other game has come close to, bland levels, bland monsters. I actually felt like I was running through a massive plain, or sneaking up to a dark tower and the LOL's when you see a toon/party in the distance running from a horde of mobs they managed to aggro.

Hopefully this can shine up and past where FFXI left off.

Current Status: Me is in troubles
sYnical-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 2:03 PM   #18
SuiCid3

Anyone know if this will be monthly subscription as well?
Old 10th February 2010, 8:24 PM   #19
Draethz

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy View Post
well, not really

unless you count casual as level 1-cap without the need to grind incessantly (ie casual == fun, comparatively)

otherwise, the actual TIME it takes to get from 1-80 is exactly the same as any other mmo really. (hundreds of hours of pretty hardcore play), not to mention to actually GET anywhere in the endgame, hours and hour sand hours and hours of raids, rep grinding, token grinding etc.

it's probably the least casual mmo i can think of really.

its no simpler than any other mmo either, especially in said endgame, unless you count all the carebearing addons (qh, lightheaded, the integrated levelling guides)
I'm glad I never played WoW with you. If it ever took you HUNDREDS of hours to level....jeeze. You could play WoW for 2 weeks now and get pretty much the best gear, so I am told.
Draethz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2010, 2:02 AM   #20
flinchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draethz View Post
I'm glad I never played WoW with you. If it ever took you HUNDREDS of hours to level....jeeze. You could play WoW for 2 weeks now and get pretty much the best gear, so I am told.
:|

i levelled most of the way to 60 in vanilla.. got bored

most of the way to 70 in bc

got bored

now 80 in lich

yes
it takes at LEAST 4-5 days of /played even with refer a friend (1-60 at 300% experience) grinding instances for massive experience?

think about it.

and YES you can play for 2 weeks and get the second best tier of gear (well, half your gear, the other half will still be poor shit)... but that's a SOLID 2 weeks of a few hours of play a day minimum, even when you hit the level cap, it's still uhh.. 10 hours minimum (with a group CARRYING you) of solid instances to get the tiered gear, then even more of actual lower tiered raids to get the offset gear.

before i hit 80, i had a total /played of something like 12 days. yeah. 288 hours.
though not all of it was hardcore levelling... plenty of dicking around in trade chat and whatnot.

it's really, like i said, no faster than any other mmo, it just doesn't SEEM like it's taking you many hours, because it's funner
Originally Posted by Taceo Corpus View Post
BRB - building a Faraday Cage.
Thinly veiled "I'm wrapping myself in chicken wire".
flinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2010, 11:55 AM   #21
Kaji

Curse you, Blizzard!

Goodnight, sweet prince.
Kaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2010, 12:37 PM   #22
Draethz

Took me 10 hours /played to hit 60 when I did that RaF thing. There is no way it takes another 4 days and 14 hours to hit 80. If it took you over 12 days played to get to 80 after all the EXP changes you are being very inefficient! Not to mention you lose nothing when you die and so on, its far too easy.

As for the time, it is much faster then a lot of the other MMO's I have played. Aion and L2 take huge amounts more time then WoW to get things done. Hell, even Warhammer was slower.

WoW is the casual gamers MMO. There is nothing stopping you from playing for an hour a day and getting the best gear. That is why it is casual.
Draethz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2010, 1:31 PM   #23
Chris H

Just applied for the closed beta.

personally i prefer Jap / Korean MMO's to their western counter part possibly because of the time required, and generally such focus isnt put on gear / cookie cutter builds.

Looks promising @ work will checkout more vids when i get home

Chris H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2010, 1:48 PM   #24
purehybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draethz View Post
WoW is the casual gamers MMO. There is nothing stopping you from playing for an hour a day and getting the best gear, albeit months after everyone else, by which time it is no longer the best gear anymore. That is why it is casual.
fixed for you
Old 12th February 2010, 3:56 AM   #25
flinchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehybrid View Post
fixed for you
what he said, sure you can run it an hour a day, but what's the point, you'll be doing easy stuff (comparatively)

takes many MANY hours a week to get the top tier gear :/

many.

for several weeks/months.

warhammer is faster to level in than WoW imo, at least, if you get a good run in the pvp, or a mad group for public quest spamming.
Originally Posted by Taceo Corpus View Post
BRB - building a Faraday Cage.
Thinly veiled "I'm wrapping myself in chicken wire".
flinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2010, 1:56 PM   #26
lolpigs

I'm looking forwards to this one, but hoping it's a bit more forgiving than the previous one
lolpigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2010, 6:37 PM   #27
Oblique

I haven't played an MMORPG solidly for a couple of years now. I'm definitely looking forward to this one and will by all means give it a solid go.

Can't wait!!!!
Oblique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2010, 9:18 PM   #28
kogi

Weeeeeh! Beta tester emails have being sent out!
kogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2010, 9:24 PM   #29
karn1911

I've had a few people inform me that they've gotten phony beta invites. Emails lead you to a site that makes you enter credit card details, be warned.
karn1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2010, 10:03 PM   #30
kogi

looks legit, nothing about credit cards. Goes back to the square-enix site for login
kogi is offline   Reply With Quote