Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Software Topics > PC Games > MMOs

Notices


Sign up for a free OCAU account and this ad will go away!
Search our forums with Google:
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 22nd August 2009, 7:26 PM   #1
Warpy Thread Starter
Member
 
Warpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 3,937
Post Guild Wars 2



There will be no monthly fee associated with Guild Wars 2 to keep up the tradition of Guild Wars. Mike O'Brien has stated that expansions or mini-expansions are more likely than standalone campaigns, but a final decision hasn't been made yet.

Guild Wars 2 will be written to run on computers with mid-range gaming specifications, but will have higher requirements than Guild Wars. The original Guild Wars will continue to be supported after release of Guild Wars 2. This will include continued holiday events and tournaments.

Website: Here
Screenshots: Here
Game FAQ's: Here
Predicted Release Date: Q4 2010 / Q1 2011

GC 2009: Guild Wars 2 - First Details and Q&A
Quote:
Ever since Guild Wars: Eye of the North shipped almost two years ago we've eagerly waited for news on Guild Wars 2, the next big step in ArenaNet's popular franchise. While Guild Wars 2's existence was no secret, the company kept a tight lid on the game, and ArenaNet all but disappeared from sight last year. However, at Gamescom in Cologne today, the wraps came off of Guild Wars 2 for the very first time. This promises to be a bigger, more epic game than its predecessor, and we've got some of the very first details, as we were able to ask ArenaNet about the sequel. Answering our questions is Mike O'Brien, ArenaNet studio head and co-founder; Eric Flannum, lead designer; and Ree Soesbee, world designer and writer.
Guild Wars 2 wiki





Latest Trailer http://games.on.net/file/36174/Guild...ifesto_Trailer
__________________


Last edited by Ma Baker; 9th April 2012 at 7:50 PM. Reason: Added videos and hotlinks
Warpy is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 22nd August 2009, 8:03 PM   #2
Pinkeh
Member
 
Pinkeh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sydney
Posts: 10,421
Default

its very far away. release date that is.

normal guild wars got boring for me after nigthfall.

then again all i do is PVP :S
Pinkeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2009, 9:24 PM   #3
Warpy Thread Starter
Member
 
Warpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 3,937
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkeh View Post
its very far away. release date that is.

normal guild wars got boring for me after nigthfall.

then again all i do is PVP :S
I agree, after Nightfall I too was bored and I had over 700 hours playtime. The game lost it's appeal, I still think its excellent but for me I played it too much and I think that's what killed it for me.
__________________

Warpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2009, 10:12 PM   #4
Desert_Runner
Member
 
Desert_Runner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 2,910
Default

Apparently this one is supposed to have a persistent world. I hope they manage to do something great with it. I've never like the monthly fees associated with most MMO's.
__________________
www.rantradio.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_Runner
Perhaps if they'd worked harder the company wouldn't of failed?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamal
I concede defeat fine sir, your logic is irrefutable.
Desert_Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2009, 2:17 PM   #5
methodman213
Member
 
methodman213's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Sydney
Posts: 292
Default

This one is on my list - if u get to pick the Charr as selectable users.

I just hope its less "instance" and more open, that would really make it something and i think will draw alot of people. We know the gfx will be superb, hell GW1 atm looks awsome as it is.

Although the story line says all foes come together to fight as one, i personally think an opvp dynamic would be sublime in this type of game.

gaaaaah



Cheers,
PW
__________________


methodman213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2009, 3:26 PM   #6
sthpaw
Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Sydney
Posts: 44
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpy View Post
I agree, after Nightfall I too was bored and I had over 700 hours playtime. The game lost it's appeal, I still think its excellent but for me I played it too much and I think that's what killed it for me.
oh my, i still play guild wars everyday and still love it, been doing mostly PvE and just recently had a taste of PvP and had 4,200 hrs of play time.
sthpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2009, 2:14 PM   #7
BurningFeetMan
Member
 
BurningFeetMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: The Sticks
Posts: 7,415
Arrow

I'll only grab GW2 if it's NOTHING like the first one. Don't get me wrong, I own all chapters of Guild Wars, clocked up something like 700 hours, 9 characters etc, but the GW engine is make shift & broken, in that most of it doesn't make sense, or has stupid logic that flows through the game in a very poor manner. Lucky there are several things that the game does have going for it, but unfortunately the fantastic things the game has are constricted by the bad.

With that, I'm not gonna rush out and buy GW2, but wait until I've read what the general vibe of it is. Below are just a few things that peeve me...

A character level system that caps at a random number, mixed with some weird numbered attribute system, with a "fake" market system, and random drops, you can forget it. What's worse is the "design on the run" factor too. I hated how "patched" the whole first Guildwars feels.

"Levels" should have died with 2d scrolling games like Super Mario Bros, let alone be incorporated into game play and character development. And random drops? Please, firstly, why the fuck would monsters drop money, or some random item or weapon that it wouldn't be carrying, sometimes even incredibly rare.

I know it's a make believe world, but a little realism never hurts. If I kill a monster, I want to salvage the fur of it's back. If I'm stalking a soldier, it'll be cause he's carrying a kick arse sword that I want. Returning to town with goods that I've specifically sourced, that carry a value THROUGH THE ENTIRE GAME... that's what I wanna do.

*sigh*

Don't even get me started on "Ghost" towns. What a stupid idea for a game.


/rant


Anyway, I got some missions from Guildwars to finish. Back to it!
__________________
This forum requires that you wait 15 seconds between posts. Please try again in 23994 seconds.
BurningFeetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 9:18 AM   #8
methodman213
Member
 
methodman213's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Sydney
Posts: 292
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningFeetMan View Post
I'll only grab GW2 if it's NOTHING like the first one. Don't get me wrong, I own all chapters of Guild Wars, clocked up something like 700 hours, 9 characters etc, but the GW engine is make shift & broken, in that most of it doesn't make sense, or has stupid logic that flows through the game in a very poor manner. Lucky there are several things that the game does have going for it, but unfortunately the fantastic things the game has are constricted by the bad.

With that, I'm not gonna rush out and buy GW2, but wait until I've read what the general vibe of it is. Below are just a few things that peeve me...

A character level system that caps at a random number, mixed with some weird numbered attribute system, with a "fake" market system, and random drops, you can forget it. What's worse is the "design on the run" factor too. I hated how "patched" the whole first Guildwars feels.

"Levels" should have died with 2d scrolling games like Super Mario Bros, let alone be incorporated into game play and character development. And random drops? Please, firstly, why the fuck would monsters drop money, or some random item or weapon that it wouldn't be carrying, sometimes even incredibly rare.

I know it's a make believe world, but a little realism never hurts. If I kill a monster, I want to salvage the fur of it's back. If I'm stalking a soldier, it'll be cause he's carrying a kick arse sword that I want. Returning to town with goods that I've specifically sourced, that carry a value THROUGH THE ENTIRE GAME... that's what I wanna do.

*sigh*

Don't even get me started on "Ghost" towns. What a stupid idea for a game.


/rant


Anyway, I got some missions from Guildwars to finish. Back to it!
I agree with you on some points there, especially on the monsters dropping monies/rare items and the non existence market system (i dont think so anyway).


This might be way out there, but a f2p game...the items i doubt will ever be of any value, because people can take their sweet arse time to figure out a build for a certain area and farm till the cows come up in their own instance and get that item i.e. a higher chance then your other p2p mmo, you dont have a subscription on your back to slow you down. Add ontop of that most collectors/item makers can craft equivalent of end game items, i dont think the intentions of the game was based around that. Check PVxWiKi and they list equivalents within their builds.

Do you remember how much Totem Axe's used to go for? You would be lucky to get 1k to 2k out of it now if one even drops (if your trying to make a quick buck for armour purchases ). Personally, the game is more based on how your toon is built, then having armour/weapons. Which i feel negates the market system/importance of items etc. I am crap at PVP in GW (the games main selling point), regardless both PVP and PVE is based around that attribute system and how you manipulate this system to achieve your purpose.


E.g. what do we see at the entrance to the Underworld? Assassins/Ele's just standing there and popping in individually. One toon, in normal mode in higher area's gets a crap load of stuff. Add ontop of that doing HM...

/me rand but with no coffee so most of this wont make sense.

Other the other hand you bring up some good points there that i agree with, which i hope will be addressed in GW2. Here's hoping it will be more open world, items mean something (for more than the first 6 months of the game) and are of value and a true market system. Would auction houses work in an environment like GW2? I doubt it - how will they sell item/skill packs through micro transactions then.


Cheers
PW
__________________


methodman213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2009, 1:31 PM   #9
FerrisXB9R
Member
 
FerrisXB9R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: QLD
Posts: 2,737
Default

I'll definitely be getting it. Looks promising.
__________________
Warframe: grimdraken Origin: grimdraken uPlay: KN_Fez steam: =]DI[= Fez
FerrisXB9R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2009, 6:20 PM   #10
BurningFeetMan
Member
 
BurningFeetMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: The Sticks
Posts: 7,415
Default

I had a bit of a read up on GW2 on the wiki. To be honest, it sounds way too disjointed and to similar to the original to hold any interest from myself. Too many strange races that I simply don't care about.

IMO, it appears too complicated and they're going off on queer tangents again.
__________________
This forum requires that you wait 15 seconds between posts. Please try again in 23994 seconds.
BurningFeetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 2:53 PM   #11
Arachnadactly
Member
 
Arachnadactly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Underworld or Ipswich.
Posts: 1,150
Default

No monthly fees again and pretty ambiguous as to the level caps. But I will be on board for sure. A lot of races come from the final addon which was eyeof the north. Although the Slyvani will be a new race altogether.
Arachnadactly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2010, 2:09 PM   #12
Warpy Thread Starter
Member
 
Warpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 3,937
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arachnadactly View Post
No monthly fees again and pretty ambiguous as to the level caps. But I will be on board for sure. A lot of races come from the final addon which was eyeof the north. Although the Slyvani will be a new race altogether.
Yeah, but will it be instance based like GW1? I heard that's why there was no monthly fee.
__________________

Warpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2010, 3:20 PM   #13
Nian
Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 731
Default

I have all of the GW too but I just can't bring myself to play it much. I think the main issue isn't the engine or character types. My biggest gripe is the severe lack of equipment you can get.

I like to collect different armour, just so I can do different things and the like, different stats. But for GW, you can easily get the MAX stat armor and once you have that the only armor left to get are all about the looks and have no impact on game play. I hate that, its lazy and personally makes it a non-mmo to me.

Same for the weapons, I mean MEH how the hell is it a good thing to have max stats on any equipment? So once I get X damage on a sword, I can never get higher? Wow how lame. Not only that but I can add the bonuses to it with prefix, suffix and rune word. Wow lame.

If GW2 doesn't have a hell of allot more equipment and random decent stats without a stat cap, maybe I will get it. As it is, if I want to f2p, I will play DDO.
__________________
Asrock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer, AMD FX-8370 BE @ 4.5Ghz, G.Skill TridentX DDR3 @ 2133 Mhz 10-12-12-31 4x8Gb , 2x Gigabyte Windforce 3 R9 290X OC 4Gb GV-R929XOC-4GD, Cooler Master HAF XB EVO, Cooler Master V8

Old System: Gigabyte GA-965p-DS4 Rev. 1.0, Q9300ES @ 2.8Ghz, Team Xtreem Dark DDR2 740Mhz 4-4-4-12 4x2Gb, AFox HD7850 2Gb, Asus Xonar D2X, CoolerMaster CM690. Zalman CNPS9700 LED
Nian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2010, 2:23 AM   #14
Pinkeh
Member
 
Pinkeh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sydney
Posts: 10,421
Default

I got turned off the moment they released GWEN and it was just a stupid title farm to prolong the game.

If i was that desperate to farm some titles i would activate some bots .

The concept art for GW2 is a bit dull :/
__________________
ASUS P8P67 EVO | I5 2500K @ 3.3GHZ | KINGSTON HYPER FURY 2x8GB DDR3 RAM | GIGABYTE GTX 1080 G1 GAMING 8GB | SAMSUNG 850 EVO 512GB + WD CAVIAR BLACK 4X6 TB | NZXT PHANTOM FULL TOWER | 3X DELL U2311H @ 5760X1080 RESOLUTION
Pinkeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2010, 10:38 AM   #15
Randy_Chuggs
(Banned or Deleted)
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 1,264
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkeh View Post
I got turned off the moment they released GWEN and it was just a stupid title farm to prolong the game.

If i was that desperate to farm some titles i would activate some bots .

The concept art for GW2 is a bit dull :/
Yep me too. I have 2 accounts which I no longer use. It annoys me that's there was nothing to do after Nightfall. Infact, I didn't even finish Nightfall or Factions properly. I still had 3000~ hours between my accounts
Randy_Chuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Sign up for a free OCAU account and this ad will go away!

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 12:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
OCAU is not responsible for the content of individual messages posted by others.
Other content copyright Overclockers Australia.
OCAU is hosted by Micron21!