Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Software Topics > PC Games > MMOs

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 20th March 2010, 8:04 PM   #16
Pinkeh

I never finished Nightfall... there just wasnt anyone in the final areas of GW to finish those campaigns in pub.

The furthest i got was Gates of Torment or whatever, jumped through that hole in the northern part of the map chasing ghosts.

Then it got really boring because the town was huge, and always had like 2 AFK people around.

ASUS P8P67 EVO | I5 2500K @ 3.3GHZ | KINGSTON HYPER FURY 2x8GB DDR3 RAM | GIGABYTE GTX 1080 G1 GAMING 8GB | SAMSUNG 850 EVO 512GB + WD CAVIAR BLACK 4X6 TB | NZXT PHANTOM FULL TOWER | 3X DELL U2311H @ 5760X1080 RESOLUTION
Pinkeh is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 20th March 2010, 8:14 PM   #17
Frozen454

I finished Nightfall and it was actually a good campaign, I'm looking forward to GW2 and hope it doesn't turn into a WoW clone or anything gimmicky, just add better things to an already good game. I really like the skill bar and system too so I hope they don't change that too much.
Frozen454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2010, 11:37 AM   #18
Slith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen454 View Post
I'm looking forward to GW2 and hope it doesn't turn into a WoW clone or anything gimmicky.
Its defiantly not going to be a wow clone. Arenanet have stated that just like the original it will be anti grind.

Also one of the founders of Arenanet have said the that there has been so many failed wow clones.
Slith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2010, 12:01 PM   #19
Alpha2k6

Read something about the Charr beeing playable charactars.. seems wierd that the charr isnt on the other side.. lets hope they dont mess this one up.

Dungeon Siege was imho really great, had superior graphics compared to most stuff at the time, and one of the first wich you could move the camera while playing..
IMHO they bungled the 2nd one with releasing abut the same graphics and possibly a worse interface years later.

NeverWinter Nights the first one was great. While the 2nd felt akward and also it was laggy while not really having that great graphics.. not sure why game companies must go and change a winning concept.. sometimes all that is needed is more of the same with new places and updated graphics.

While GuildWars was awesome for about 4 weeks.. it got a bit repititive and the world didnt feel so free.. it was like most of the time you where just following a path of going from A ---> B.. instead of having many choises.
But the graphics like the charr monsters and the water etc.. was awesome when it was released

Looking forward to what they make of this sequel, and hoping they don't bungle it like alot of other sequels.
Alpha2k6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2010, 12:32 PM   #20
Frozen454

The first Guild Wars series isn't really an MMO, it's a Co-Op RPG based around team play.

I hope the classes for GW2 don't change too much, it'd be nice tokeep some of the niche classes from the game like the Ritualist or Dervish, I love my Dervish!
Frozen454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 10:08 PM   #21
Stevros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen454 View Post
The first Guild Wars series isn't really an MMO, it's a Co-Op RPG based around team play.

I hope the classes for GW2 don't change too much, it'd be nice tokeep some of the niche classes from the game like the Ritualist or Dervish, I love my Dervish!
Agreed on the classes. Having a primary and secondary class brought so much variation to pvp. Mesmer was an awesome class as well.

I think they are leaning more towards a Wow style of play in the fact that it will be open world play this time and not totaly instanced like the original GW. I played the original quite a bit and was in a pretty competitive Guild that managed a top 100 rank a fair few times. I still havent found a MMO that has come even close to matching this game for balanced, team based PVP.
Stevros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2010, 9:19 PM   #22
Revenger

Other thread is about the ele so Ill post in this one.

They have changed the skill system from GW1 to more of a action RPG predefined system than the current 8 slot open selection so there not leaning towards WoW and other mmo's with being able to use any skill anywhere.

You will get 10 skills 5 of which are determined by your weapons type being 3 main and 2 offhand or 5 for duel handed. 3 support skills, 1 elite and 1 healing skill slot you have control over choosing. You can change out skills when you are not actively fighting and switch between a couple of weapon sets while in a fight.

They have decided to do away with secondary professions because of this skill based change.

The stringing skills from all classes together into combos look good and is a nice touch.

They seem to be focusing on trying to mix a Asian single-player action RPG to a persistent world than building a traditional or general style mmo.

I am starting to doubt what they are doing as they have changed there global vision allot from when guildwars was first released from being a open skillbased game to adding a kind of grind with titles, faction, zaishen coins for equipment and even changing from HoH pvp for favor of the gods 'elite areas' to title farming.

And even adding in micro transactions for looks, costumes, pets >>with links inside the actual game<< they said they weren't going to do.

Having links saying you need xx amount of makeover, consume points etc before you can use a feature 'so click here to buy' is especially bad.

I can understand if they need the extra money for server costs etc but the links shouldn't be in the game and extras should work like the PVP unlock pack make us work for it in game or buy it outright.

Last edited by Revenger; 3rd May 2010 at 10:33 PM.
Revenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 7:41 AM   #23
Desert_Runner

There is plenty of information and a couple of videos on the website

http://www.guildwars2.com/en/

This game is sounding pretty good so far!
Perhaps if they'd worked harder the company wouldn't of failed?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamal
I concede defeat fine sir, your logic is irrefutable.
Desert_Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 1:03 PM   #24
Desert_Runner

New update on the website RE quests and in game events. Sounds awesome!
Quote:
Old 13th May 2010, 1:22 PM   #25
purehybrid

sounds like WAR's public quests on steroids
Old 13th May 2010, 4:04 PM   #26
Slith

This has me really me intrigued. Arenanet has such huge ambitions I just home they can pull it off with out any problems.

Sounds so good in theory you know.

Quote:
As an added bonus, we've also hidden hundreds of events all over the world that require interaction with the game world. This helps give an extra sense of reward and discovery for those who seek to explore the entire world. Finding an entrance to a secret cave deep at the bottom of the ocean and removing a glowing orb from the cave could let an evil creature loose from its ancient prison and kick off a chain of events as the creature terrorizes the ocean shipping lanes. Reading the spells written on an ancient wizard's spell book in a ruined castle at the top of the highest mountain peak could open a portal to another world and trigger a chain of events as creatures from that world come through the portal. GW2 is all about being a game for every type of gamer, and we're specifically using the event system to make this possible.
From: http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-gam...ents-overview/
Slith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 5:55 PM   #27
Revenger

Noticed they mentioned they are designing it so you make alternative characters like 3 times.

Something tells me they will sell extra character slots like they are doing with guildwars 1
Old 13th May 2010, 10:43 PM   #28
Desert_Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenger View Post
Noticed they mentioned they are designing it so you make alternative characters like 3 times.

Something tells me they will sell extra character slots like they are doing with guildwars 1
I'd imagine you'd start off with 4 as with the first one.
Quote:
Old 13th May 2010, 11:15 PM   #29
Revenger

Looked up the wiki they will continue the micro transaction aspect in guildwars 2.

To what extent I don't know but I'm sure it will be allot more than it is now.

Last edited by Revenger; 13th May 2010 at 11:22 PM.
Revenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2010, 8:40 AM   #30
Desert_Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenger View Post
Looked up the wiki they will continue the micro transaction aspect in guildwars 2.

To what extent I don't know but I'm sure it will be allot more than it is now.
I really don't have an issue with micro transactions. It's completely optional so it suits everyone.
Quote: