Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Software Topics > PC Games > MMOs

Notices


Sign up for a free OCAU account and this ad will go away!
Search our forums with Google:
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 20th June 2010, 9:44 PM   #46
Killing Time
Member
 
Killing Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Fairfield
Posts: 606
Default

nice, would it be worth getting into guildwars(1) now? or is it to far over the hill? i never played it before, now exams are finished got 3 weeks off till uni starts again looking for something to get my teeth into
Killing Time is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 20th June 2010, 9:59 PM   #47
g3monster
Member
 
g3monster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 732
Default

Might as well try it if u can get it cheap.
__________________
Main Rig: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5 Rev1.0|FX 8320 @ 4.5GHZ|Noctua NH-D14|16GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600|HD 5970+5850(OC)|120gb Plextor M55S|3x2TB Seagate Green HDD|LG BH10LS30
Secondary Rig/HTPC/Lightduty Gaming: Asrock FM2A75M-DGS|A6-5400k|Coolermaster Hyper 212+|8gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600|40GB Intel SSD|1TB Seagate 7200.13|2x Lite-on DVD burners|Pioneer BDR-206
g3monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2010, 12:10 PM   #48
Pinkeh
Member
 
Pinkeh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sydney
Posts: 10,376
Default

You can get the trilogy packs for $20-30 if you look for it. Otherwise grab it from Steam.

Just bare in mind.... some towns are really dead. You may have trouble getting in to groups for certain missions too. Because the mission areas will have too few randoms, especially in Tyria / Nightfall.
__________________
ASUS P8P67 EVO | I5 2500K @ 3.3GHZ | KINGSTON HYPER FURY 2x8GB DDR3 RAM | GIGABYTE GTX 1080 G1 GAMING 8GB | SAMSUNG 850 EVO 512GB + WD CAVIAR BLACK 4X6 TB | NZXT PHANTOM FULL TOWER | 3X DELL U2311H @ 5760X1080 RESOLUTION
Pinkeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2010, 5:26 PM   #49
g3monster
Member
 
g3monster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 732
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkeh View Post
You can get the trilogy packs for $20-30 if you look for it. Otherwise grab it from Steam.

Just bare in mind.... some towns are really dead. You may have trouble getting in to groups for certain missions too. Because the mission areas will have too few randoms, especially in Tyria / Nightfall.
Never had a problem with this.

Just join the OCAU guild (or allienced guilds) if they have space and youll never have a problem finding someone for most missions.

Also the free trial players help to fill in the tyria towns.
__________________
Main Rig: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5 Rev1.0|FX 8320 @ 4.5GHZ|Noctua NH-D14|16GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600|HD 5970+5850(OC)|120gb Plextor M55S|3x2TB Seagate Green HDD|LG BH10LS30
Secondary Rig/HTPC/Lightduty Gaming: Asrock FM2A75M-DGS|A6-5400k|Coolermaster Hyper 212+|8gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600|40GB Intel SSD|1TB Seagate 7200.13|2x Lite-on DVD burners|Pioneer BDR-206
g3monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2010, 7:43 AM   #50
Philll
(Taking a Break)
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NSW
Posts: 10,948
Default

Sounds kinda sucky:

Death In Guild Wars 2 Borrows A Page From Modern Warfare

Quote:
The fact that your player keeps fighting after he or she dies in Guild Wars 2 is almost as shocking as the fact that the game has no dedicated healer class. ArenaNet's Jon Peters, Eric Flannum, and Isaiah Cartwright explain.

Guild Wars 2 isn't going to be your average massively-multiplayer role-playing game. Developer ArenaNet has made that perfectly clear countless times since the follow-up to the original free-to-play MMO was first revealed. Each new feature that comes to light draws it further and further away from standard MMO conventions, and that's got fans of the genre excited.

Take death, for instance. When you die in other MMO titles you generally have to either wait for a healer to come resurrect you, or respawn near your corpse with some sort of temporary penalty placed on your stats. Sometimes you even lose experience points. Dying can really kill the fun of a gameplay session. - It's punishment for sucking, what the fuck.

But death is isn't the end in Guild Wars 2.

As the game's lead developer Eric Flannum puts it, "We wanted Guild Wars 2 to be a game about taking chances, taking risks, and exciting gameplay. Not a game about not dying."

To that effect, the death system in Guild Wars 2 takes a cue from shooters like Modern Warfare. "One of the things we're not shy about is looking at other genres and going 'this is fun in other games, why can't we take it and make it work in the MMO space?" says Flannum. - because it's not Modern Snorfare 2, that's why.

Much like Modern Warfare's Last Stand perk or Borderlands' Second Wind mechanic, when you die, you enter what is called a down state. In your down state, you have four skills you can use to try and take down your attackers, three dictated by your class, and one available to all classes.

Should you manage to exact revenge before your consciousness meter runs out, you'll rally, getting back up on your feet and back into the game.

If you do die, you can either wait for a player to revive you - all character classes in Guild Wars 2 can revive - or ravel to any previously visited waypoint and revive there for a small fee.

The fact that every class can revive demonstrates another key feature of Guild Wars 2. There are no dedicated healing classes. Each character is in charge of his or her own healing.

"All the healing that happens in the game - the main meat of healing is your personal heal skill," says Isaiah Cartwright, one of the game's designers. "You are in charge of your health. Other people can help you and support you say by pulling a creature off of you, or provide minor healing, but nothing as effective as you do yourself. "

Not only are there no main healers, there are no main tanks, and no DPS. These archetypal roles, commonly accepted as standard in other MMOs, have no place in Guild Wars 2.

But how can that possibly work? Don't you need an assigned tank, someone to heal that tank, and someone to do damage? That's not the way Guild Wars 2 is built. Each class will be able to take on different roles.

Why? Because it cuts down on two major problems inherit in today's MMO titles. First, you won't need to make sure your party has a good healing class and a good tanking class, and other classes won't have to sit on the sidelines, waiting for a tank or healer to free up for them.

Second, it stops parties from getting trashed when the tank or healer goes down. Says Cartwright, ""In those games when your tank goes down and your healer doesn't, you're done for. Any single profession mistake done for. In Guild Wars 2, if your tank goes down, one of your DPA switches and can hold while you get your tank back in the fray. "

But what about those folks who enjoy being the healer or the tank? The ones that feel important in their roles? Flannum says they'll just have to share the glory.

"We don't want the game to value one profession over the other. We want everyone to feel like they are wanted. Instead of grouping with someone because they are a good healer or a good tank, we want people to group with others because they're a cool player to interact with, cool player…those things matter more."

And it makes for cooler gameplay as well. The dynamic nature of death and the healing roles make for amazing storytelling moments, like the one game designer Jon Peters relayed to me during our interview.

"Eric and Isaiah were playing just the other day, and they pulled too many creatures. Both went down. Isaiah used a skill called Vengeance to revive himself, and then revived Eric, who used a skill to become temporarily invulnerable. Isaiah's Vengeance wears off, Eric revives him, and they go on to win the fight."

Those are the sort of magic moments missing from many of today's MMOs. It could make Guild Wars 2 stand out from the rest of the pack.

According to Flannum, these big changes to the genre come from ArenaNet's dedication to their vision.

"One of the things we're doing that I think we don't see other companies doing as much, is we're embracing the direction we're taking. You can do it part-ways, or you can just go for it"

Sounds like AreaNet is definitely going for it.
In other words you'll probably never die, everyone can do everything and all classes have been nerfed into the same sort of thing just so everyone can feel special. Whoopee.
Philll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2010, 8:01 AM   #51
Desert_Runner
Member
 
Desert_Runner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 2,910
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philll View Post
Sounds kinda sucky:

Death In Guild Wars 2 Borrows A Page From Modern Warfare



In other words you'll probably never die, everyone can do everything and all classes have been nerfed into the same sort of thing just so everyone can feel special. Whoopee.
I don't see an issue with it at all. Every MMO you encounter these days is the same. A grindfest. It seems to me GW2 is trying to focus more on the story surrounding the characters and having an enjoyable gaming experience with friends.

I don't see an issue with "powerful heroes" being able to rally themselves, heal themselves or res themselves. It makes the character you're playing feel more powerful and heroic.

Works for me.

Edit: Also, whats the source?
__________________
www.rantradio.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_Runner
Perhaps if they'd worked harder the company wouldn't of failed?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamal
I concede defeat fine sir, your logic is irrefutable.

Last edited by Desert_Runner; 9th July 2010 at 8:08 AM.
Desert_Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2010, 8:02 AM   #52
thormania
Member
 
thormania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 839
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philll View Post
Sounds kinda sucky:

Death In Guild Wars 2 Borrows A Page From Modern Warfare



In other words you'll probably never die, everyone can do everything and all classes have been nerfed into the same sort of thing just so everyone can feel special. Whoopee.
Wow aren't you a sooky lah lah. I think that sounds great. GW was always meant to be accessible that is a good thing. Stuck up WOW players can fuck off imo.

There ultimately will be tanking/healing/dps classes it probably just wont be as clear cut as it was before.
__________________
I5-4670K, GTX 760 crammed into a Silverstone ML-07
thormania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2010, 8:22 AM   #53
Philll
(Taking a Break)
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NSW
Posts: 10,948
Default

1. I've never played WOW for more than 5 minutes.
2. It's just another casual game to add to the list, using the same tacky methods of streamlining every - single - game. If user error doesn't lead to some form of actual punishment then how do people learn to improve?

Accessibility in every single instance means making it easier for stupid people, that's it. The people who liked it being harder are always screwed over when this happens. If you see no problem, that's fine, some people will and their opinions are just as valid.

One source, more sooky lah lah comments on that page too.
Philll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2010, 9:26 AM   #54
Desert_Runner
Member
 
Desert_Runner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 2,910
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philll View Post
1. I've never played WOW for more than 5 minutes.
2. It's just another casual game to add to the list, using the same tacky methods of streamlining every - single - game. If user error doesn't lead to some form of actual punishment then how do people learn to improve?

Accessibility in every single instance means making it easier for stupid people, that's it. The people who liked it being harder are always screwed over when this happens. If you see no problem, that's fine, some people will and their opinions are just as valid.

One source, more sooky lah lah comments on that page too.
Death hasn't been taken out of the game there's just an stage between fully alive and dieing. No one's questioning the validity of your opinion we just don't agree with it.

Moreover there might be a "hard mode" for players who want it just like GW1.
__________________
www.rantradio.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_Runner
Perhaps if they'd worked harder the company wouldn't of failed?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamal
I concede defeat fine sir, your logic is irrefutable.
Desert_Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2010, 11:04 AM   #55
purehybrid
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 4,352
Default

The death thing is really irrelevent in the scheme of things. It is simply another mechanic to work with.

The lack of meaningful healing, however, is going to have a major impact on pvp. It will be interesting to see how the metagame will shift around target prioritisation, when (non-self)healing is knocked out of the mix. Especially considering tanking was downplayed in that article as well.

So the roles remaining, would be:
CC-DPS (generally your mage or thief/rogue types with )
Defensive DPS (generally heavy melee in most games)
Supporting DPS (generally your buffers/off-healers/selfhealing dps with utility in other mmos)

This has the possibility to either make pvp very fun, by adding a large amount of dynamic flow to battles (based on which enemy has used which cooldowns etc), making proper target selection based on a lot of variables, a big player skill.
OR
It has the possibility to make pvp very boring, by making target selection matter very little, due to everyone having a similar level of defense.

I'd hate to see PVP boil down to "Okay, everyone attack X, kk now everyone attack Y" etc, without the choice of who X and Y are, having a large impact on the battle, and being accompanied with ", while I control Z"
__________________
i7 920 / 6gb / r9 280x
Completed trades ($3,750+ total) - Hotdog_Hotdog, mecka, dimsyrak, MotoMan, [MadHatteR], melbnut, crag_v, jimmytim903, Quittersss, Azzan
purehybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2010, 1:13 PM   #56
Stevros
Member
 
Stevros's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NSW
Posts: 2,742
Default

The most important thing in guild wars is the pvp, and you dont need tanks in pvp, so i couldnt give a stuff about that. No dedicated healers is interesting, adds another element to gvg when you have to figure out which of the 8 players is doing the majority of healing.

The more mobile the classes are, the better the competitive side of the game will be IMO.

The more they reveal about the game the better it seems to get. I was pretty disappointed when they said there wont be secondary classes but it looks like theres still going to be great variation anyway.

Oh and if you havent played the first guild wars, and dont understand what this mmo is all about, your opinions are pretty much drool to anyone interested in this game.
Stevros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2010, 11:08 AM   #57
h2oxide
Member
 
h2oxide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Perth
Posts: 3,726
Default

GWs 1 was an awesome game (especially PvP), but after a while it got boring like every other MMO because it didnt have anything REALLY outstanding and different to bring forth to the table, but from reading that snip about GW2, I can already see It'll be a lot more enjoyable, and less generic.

Lets hope it doesn't end up like Aion, all this hype about something different, play for a few weeks, quit because it wasn't really.

The above is just my opinion, no need for flaming.
h2oxide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2010, 11:53 AM   #58
Stevros
Member
 
Stevros's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: NSW
Posts: 2,742
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20xide View Post
GWs 1 was an awesome game (especially PvP), but after a while it got boring like every other MMO because it didnt have anything REALLY outstanding and different to bring forth to the table, but from reading that snip about GW2, I can already see It'll be a lot more enjoyable, and less generic.

Lets hope it doesn't end up like Aion, all this hype about something different, play for a few weeks, quit because it wasn't really.

The above is just my opinion, no need for flaming.
Totally agree with you mate, Aion was such bullshit, i got burned bad on that one.
Stevros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2010, 1:08 PM   #59
Randy_Chuggs
(Banned or Deleted)
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 1,264
Default

I wonder if GW2 is going to be as good PvP wise as GW1. From the looks of this, it might not be...
Randy_Chuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2010, 3:22 AM   #60
Randy_Chuggs
(Banned or Deleted)
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 1,264
Default

http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-gam...ssions/ranger/

New class released
Randy_Chuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Sign up for a free OCAU account and this ad will go away!

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 4:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
OCAU is not responsible for the content of individual messages posted by others.
Other content copyright Overclockers Australia.
OCAU is hosted by Micron21!