Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Retro & Arcade

Notices

Search our forums with Google:
View Poll Results: What Amigas do you currently have in your collection?
Amiga 500 57 50.44%
Amiga 500+ 11 9.73%
Amiga 600(HD) 13 11.50%
Amiga 1000 12 10.62%
Amiga 1200(HD) 39 34.51%
Amiga 1500 0 0%
Amiga 2000(HD) 20 17.70%
Amiga 2500(HD) 2 1.77%
Amiga 3000(T/UX) 5 4.42%
Amiga 4000(T) 9 7.96%
Amiga CDTV 3 2.65%
Amiga CD32 18 15.93%
Amiga Prototype (1000+/3000+/3500/Other) 1 0.88%
Amiga Compatible (Draco/Access/Minimig/Pegasos/MIST) 3 2.65%
AmigaOne (SE/XE/MicroA1) 3 2.65%
AmigaOne (500/X1000) 1 0.88%
Emulators - I don't have real Amigas anymore 22 19.47%
Emulators - I've never seen/owned a real Amiga, but wish I did! 4 3.54%
My Amigas are all original - no mods other than original expansion cards, accelerator cards, RAM cards, sidecars, floppies, and SCSI/IDE HDD's of the day. 16 14.16%
My Amigas feature modern-day modifications such as DVI/HDMI/IDE/SATA/USB/RAM/CPU/GOTEK and CF upgrades. 9 7.96%
I own a mix of original and modified Amigas. 21 18.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11th September 2010, 9:26 PM   #136
matto20v

If you do pull out the A4000, take some pics and upload them here!
[server: QNAP TS451 5Tb (usable)]
matto20v is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 11th September 2010, 10:36 PM   #137
Mau1wurf1977
(Banned or Deleted)

That link doesn't mention the C64, so I am still optimistic
Mau1wurf1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2010, 1:57 AM   #138
HyRax1
ˇViva la Resolutión!

Quote:
Originally Posted by matto20v View Post
If you do pull out the A4000, take some pics and upload them here!
I must confess, I actually had it out already from my last nostalgia trip a couple of months ago and never got around to putting it back in the garage, so here you go - my A4000 desktop in all its glory!

-oOo-

Front side. That's an IDE optical drive, the original SD 880K floppy and a third-party HD 1.76MB floppy drive.

Click to view full size!

Rear side. Fully loaded Zorro III expansion cards. From the top, Ariadne II 10Base2/T ethernet/coax network card, CyberVision64 graphics card, Multiface III high-speed serial/parallel port card, and Flickerfixer card.

Click to view full size!

Top side shot with the lid off. Observe the awesome power bar (read, stick of plastic that extends from the front bezel to press the power button on the PSU at the back). That's the original PSU and it still works too!

Click to view full size!

Top side shot with the lid off on the other side showing off the expansion cards.

Click to view full size!

Side shot of the expansion cards. Here you can see the Buddha IDE controller card that is sitting behind the Flickfixer card and the external battery for the hardware system clock which replaced the motherboard's battery when it died. The external battery has since died and I haven't bothered replacing it.

This shot also shows the controller ports on the side. The left one was for "Player 1"'s joystick and the right one was the mouse which had to be disconnect to connect "Player 2"'s joystick for multiplayer action.

Click to view full size!

Another side shot of the expansion cards. Here you can see the motherboard's RAM slots which are empty because I moved the RAM to my CPU card which allowed much faster access to the RAM. You can also see the motherboard's revision. Revision D was one of the best versions of the A4000.

Click to view full size!

Pulling back the IDE ribbon cable, you can see the CPU card with my 68060 processor at 50MHz - amazing speed at the time, but not hot enough to need a heat sink. My A4000 originally came with a 68030 which is surface mounted to the motherboard. The CPU card takes over when connected. On the right side you can see my 64MB of RAM. The timing crystal is just below the RAM. On the left side is my 40GB HDD on top and under it is the original 120MB HDD. Everything ultimately runs off the 40GB HDD and the 120MB is kept for the Apple Mac partition that's on it as I used to have an Emplant Emulator card for running Mac OS (it's somewhere in the garage). I also used to have a Commodore 386 PC emulator card running Janus to run PC software (also garaged), but it was nowhere near as good as the Emplant and eventually was removed when I bought my first PC (a 486DX2/66 with 4MB RAM).

Click to view full size!

Turning on the Amiga and holding down the two mouse buttons gives you the startup menu where you can check if your expansion cards are working, disable various parts of the chipset for backward compatibility for games, change boot device and elect whether or not to boot into a cli prompt only or do a normal startup.

Click to view full size!

And here's my Workbench as it was left last about a decade ago with a hair-pulling frustrating install of AmigaOS 3.5 which wasn't really compatible with the 68060 processor. I had to do so much manual patching to get it working and at the end of the day it's nowhere near as good as my old Amiga OS 3.1 Workbench setup.

The Workbench as shown is running at 1280x1024 in 16-bit colour and it still boots way quicker than Windows today - in about 10-15 seconds from reset (so that includes the system init and SetPatch time).

Click to view full size!

My mouse is a regular PC PS/2 mouse connected using an EZMouse PS/2 adapter. The keyboard is the original Amiga keyboard, but it has unfortunately yellowed a bit over time.
Old 12th September 2010, 10:56 AM   #139
Xenomorph

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyRax1 View Post
I notice that the classic Amiga game "Alien Breed" from Team17 has received a make-over and is being released as a new fully 3D game called "Alien Breed: Impact" on the PlayStation3. It retains everything that made the Amiga original such a classic - top-down view, awesome atmosphere, and it's bloody hard like the Amiga version was!

Makes me want to pull out my A4000 and fire up the original game now...!
Alien breed: Impact was released for the pc as well a couple of months ago.
The original on the Amiga was a great game but insanely hard.
Old 12th September 2010, 3:58 PM   #140
breech Thread Starter

Nice rig hyrax, how is it for backwards compatibility?
breech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2010, 7:26 PM   #141
HyRax1
ˇViva la Resolutión!

Quote:
Originally Posted by breech View Post
Nice rig hyrax, how is it for backwards compatibility?
Surprisingly good. It's only seriously old OS 1.3 titles that don't work on the '060 (eg: games such as R-Type). If I remove the '060 and revert back to the '030, then more 1.3 titles will run, but other titles just don't like running on AGA hardware at all even when you disable AGA functions.
Old 12th September 2010, 7:32 PM   #142
breech Thread Starter

Damn that must suck, so many important titles from that era. I guess you can use whdload though.
breech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2010, 8:15 PM   #143
HyRax1
ˇViva la Resolutión!

Quote:
Originally Posted by breech View Post
Damn that must suck, so many important titles from that era. I guess you can use whdload though.
Yeah WHDLoad works well for most things, but not R-Type - never has, at least not on an '060! It works great for Project X, though.
Old 12th September 2010, 9:25 PM   #144
power

wow mate words cannot accurately translate just how jealous I am of that machine, man at the time it must have cost a small fortune.

That is one very serious piece of Amiga history and how I wish the industry had gone, but Commodore were far too short sighted and there was only room in the industry for one boutique product (Mac).

Also, no R-Type!!
Old 12th September 2010, 10:11 PM   #145
HyRax1
ˇViva la Resolutión!

Quote:
Originally Posted by power View Post
wow mate words cannot accurately translate just how jealous I am of that machine, man at the time it must have cost a small fortune.
Back in 1995 when I got it, yeah certainly it did! With all the gear I got with it (monitor, Maestro 28800 baud modem, GLock genlock, software, etc) I paid just under $4K all up, and doesn't include some of the expansion cards like the Ariadne, CyberVision64 ($900!!), Multiface and CPU card which all came later.

Quote:
That is one very serious piece of Amiga history and how I wish the industry had gone, but Commodore were far too short sighted and there was only room in the industry for one boutique product (Mac).
If you've ever watched Dave Haynie's "The Deathbed Vigil", you would be putting your TV at serious risk of injury when you see just how badly Commodore was managed.

Quote:
Also, no R-Type!!
I'll give it another stab sometime - WHDLoad installers get updated all the time and I haven't tried new updates for at least 5 or so years since nowadays I'd play the original arcade ROM under MAME.
Old 15th September 2010, 9:29 AM   #146
terrox

I just want to jump in and say Amiga was the greatest of all time.

I still have my A1200 with "internal" 400meg 3.5 IDE (yes I managed to fit it inside the case, slight bulge!). I really need to sell it, but I can't bare the pain of loss.
terrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2010, 12:15 PM   #147
Bertle

dont sell it !

Play some game from today then go play some games on the Amiga and remember how fun they used to be back then
Old 15th September 2010, 7:22 PM   #148
HyRax1
ˇViva la Resolutión!

Agreed - don't sell it, you'll regret it. I traded my A2000HD (my very first Amiga) for an A1200 in the early 90's and really regretted it - sure, the A1200 was awesome in its own right, but there was something that the A2000HD had that the A1200 just didn't.

I still have that A1200 somewhere in the garage too, also with an internally mounted drive, but the soldering for the molex power connector came off - need to get around to fixing it one day.

I now have a replacement A2000 (non-HD model) in the garage that doesn't work because it was very badly kept by its previous owner.

I also have an A1000 that amazingly is still working as well, also in the garage.

I wish I got a CDTV unit, but they were always too expensive to be worth it (even second hand). The consolation prize is a CD32 with an SX-1 unit, both working just fine.
Old 15th September 2010, 11:28 PM   #149
TheBear21

I am amazed by the amount of CD32 owners there were in this thread. I thought it major bombed and literally nobody bought them?

To be fair I didn't buy mine either. Won it in a Brashes competition. Added the SX1 plus a hard drive (100mb?) and the 2mb ram expansion. It really was a beast of an Amiga in it's day. And absolutely trounced the performance of my 486 owning friends. Wasn't really until the Pentium days that this computer was convincingly beaten.

edit: the CD32 took the place of my trusty A500 that I had since about 1989/90 as a 12 year old.

Last edited by TheBear21; 15th September 2010 at 11:30 PM.
TheBear21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2010, 9:53 AM   #150
The Brad

I have a CD32 and SX1 as well, which I guess is fitting because I was the SX1/GVP disti at the time...

Addicted to folding club member #313 - i7/965/GTX260

Diablo 3: TheBrad#6547
The Brad is offline   Reply With Quote