Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Retro & Arcade

Notices

Search our forums with Google:
View Poll Results: What Amigas do you currently have in your collection?
Amiga 500 59 51.30%
Amiga 500+ 11 9.57%
Amiga 600(HD) 13 11.30%
Amiga 1000 12 10.43%
Amiga 1200(HD) 39 33.91%
Amiga 1500 0 0%
Amiga 2000(HD) 20 17.39%
Amiga 2500(HD) 2 1.74%
Amiga 3000(T/UX) 5 4.35%
Amiga 4000(T) 9 7.83%
Amiga CDTV 3 2.61%
Amiga CD32 18 15.65%
Amiga Prototype (1000+/3000+/3500/Other) 1 0.87%
Amiga Compatible (Draco/Access/Minimig/Pegasos/MIST) 3 2.61%
AmigaOne (SE/XE/MicroA1) 3 2.61%
AmigaOne (500/X1000) 1 0.87%
Emulators - I don't have real Amigas anymore 22 19.13%
Emulators - I've never seen/owned a real Amiga, but wish I did! 4 3.48%
My Amigas are all original - no mods other than original expansion cards, accelerator cards, RAM cards, sidecars, floppies, and SCSI/IDE HDD's of the day. 16 13.91%
My Amigas feature modern-day modifications such as DVI/HDMI/IDE/SATA/USB/RAM/CPU/GOTEK and CF upgrades. 9 7.83%
I own a mix of original and modified Amigas. 21 18.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old 20th March 2017, 2:40 PM   #2086
Mickatroid

Prices for this stuff is always tricky. I have a wanted ad and promise to pay fair prices.

Sometimes I pay too much. Sometimes not enough, an original box A1000 with a PC compatible sidecar and monitor was offered to me for $150 recently. I actually told the seller it was way less than he could get for it elsewhere. I ended up buying it all for $150 though.

The other day a guy with an Amiga 2000 rang me from Sydney, I talked him into keeping it and suggested he come to this thread for help if he needed it.

The price will depend on how much cash I have, what I have bought lately, whether I have similar stuff already, and how the seller conducts themselves etc. too.

As for the 3000 I am a lucky bugger. Just hope I can fix it. If not I will ship the mobo to someone who can.

Derek, if I find a plus I will let you know. I am still chasing a mint rev 6 a2000 board...
Mickatroid is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 25th March 2017, 9:42 PM   #2087
bYrd

Thanks to OCAU member adz, I now have a booting but decidely flaky A2000! Adz kindly donated to me an A520 modulator as I didn't have the correct monitor to display a colour palette to diagnose what appeared to be a failed internal test.

The A2000 was picked up cheaply a couple of months ago, and displayed little life due to significant battery corrision around the 68000 CPU. I replaced the socket and CPU (not that fun a job), from here it displayed a "coloured" screen off composite video and went no further. All chips were reseated to no avail.

Of course I couldn't tell what fault colour the A2000 was complaining about until I could use the A520 modulator. It displayed a dark blue screen then a series of grey screens before settling on a light grey one. This suggested a software or CIA problem. I had a donor dead A500 board, and switched over both CIA chips. Imagine my surprise to see it come up with an AmigaDOS screen

The A2000HD/50MB has a Kickstart 1.3/2.0 ROM switcher, SCSI card (with 2MB fastram) and PC x8086 card. It boots up to Workbench 2.0 with a series of productivity apps installed, in bogan style Western Bulldogs theme complete with Bulldog icons

My issue now is it quickly crashes when I double click on any applications or icons. Sometimes there is some minor graphical corruption but I can still move the mouse. The PSU checks out OK (+12.3V, -12.3V, +5.3V, -5.2V), and I've reseated all the chips (and cleaned sockets with electronic contact cleaner)

I wonder if the HD is shot or the RAM could also be flaking out. Now I've a booting machine, is there any sort of hardware/RAM test utility I could try?

Also, how do I get it to display the white/blue insert WorkBench screen? It only ever comes up to AmigaDOS. I've a flashed Cortex drive, but it doesn't seem to want to do much with that at the moment.

Thanks

JB

EDIT: one of the CIA chips was put in wrong, now its solid

Last edited by bYrd; 25th March 2017 at 10:21 PM.
bYrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2017, 11:35 PM   #2088
HyRax1
ˇViva la Resolutión!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bYrd View Post
Also, how do I get it to display the white/blue insert WorkBench screen? It only ever comes up to AmigaDOS.
If using Kickstart 2.x or above, hold down both mouse buttons when the Amiga resets to bring up the startup menu.

When using Kickstart 1.x, the floppy will generally have boot precedence unless the HDD priority has been increased above it, in which case you'll need to change that with HDToolbox.
Old 27th March 2017, 1:28 PM   #2089
adz

Quote:
EDIT: one of the CIA chips was put in wrong, now its solid
Glad to hear it's working Now to order yourself a nice IndiVision ECS

Victoria - The $afety State
adz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2017, 5:40 AM   #2090
@rt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bester View Post
The last one I bid on went for AU $716.96 + $55 Postage !!!

That is the maximum I would be willing to pay for one. I did see that one went for $300 locally back in January, but at the time I had spent my quota for retro gear that month.
Since Posting in this thread I got a new looking CD32 for $260 including post from Tas (just missing controller),
and the FMV module overseas for $230AU including post
I suspect the FMV went so cheap because of a screwup with the listing.
For some reason, a CD32 PSU was being displayed as the main image until you
clicked the listing, then the FMV image appeared (even though there was only one image for the listing).
Old 1st April 2017, 10:14 AM   #2091
bester

Quote:
Originally Posted by @rt View Post
Since Posting in this thread I got a new looking CD32 for $260 including post from Tas (just missing controller)
Awesome pickup, I must admit I haven't been seriously looking in the past but I have now added CD32 to my eBay searches.
bester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2017, 2:17 PM   #2092
bester

The Amiga Reloaded wiki page seems to have been updated recently. Some of the key changes are:
  • The current plan is to build the first prototype in 2017 (rather than Q1).
  • The target price of the main board with AGA chips, DVI-I output and RTG solution is in the 350,- EUR ballpark.
  • The Kickstart ROMs will be properly licensed, and will be stored in a flash ROM. Flash space will be 8MByte.
  • The Commodore A1200 Reloaded has a DVI-I output as standard. This will allow you to use any modern monitor, and even flat-screen TVs with HDMI output (adapter cable required). The Flicker fixer functionality is the same as our very popular product "Indivision AGA MK2", but there's more: This version of Indivision AGA MK2 includes a graphics card that can be used with the P96 RTG software.
Sounds good to me, I would have got an Indivision for it anyway so it's inclusion and the increase in price is OK.
Old 9th April 2017, 8:09 PM   #2093
bYrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bester View Post
The Amiga Reloaded wiki page seems to have been updated recently.
I don't get the point of it; you still need a lowly/old accelerator to make it work, might as well just look out for a good revision A1200 board + accelerator + Indivision. And that price, for something that doesn't really work OOB ...
Old 16th April 2017, 9:57 AM   #2094
bester

Quote:
I don't get the point of it; you still need a lowly/old accelerator to make it work, might as well just look out for a good revision A1200 board + accelerator + Indivision. And that price, for something that doesn't really work OOB ...
Yeah well on Amibay there is a mint recapped complete Amiga 1200 at the moment for 290 euro so in that regards it seems expensive.

That said if you want items like the Indivision or Fast ATA level of performance these items by themselves are over 100 pounds each.

I think of the notable improvements:
  • Brand new not unknown status old motherboard, no worries about capacitors or timing fixes (or what past owners have done to it/faults which aren't visible at time of purchase). There is also warranty if there are any issues.
  • Already includes 3.1 roms, cost saving there compared to a system with 3.0.
  • Much faster chipram.
  • Modern laptop power supply.
  • Enhanced indivision.
  • Much faster ide.
  • Option for faster networking and no loss of pcmcia slot for this.
...I just like the fact that it's new, features all of the improvements I would be looking to enhance it with (i.e. nothing more to worry about just drop in) and uses a cheap/easy to obtain power supply which is once again new and hassle free (not unknown status).

Obviously you need to use an accelerator which is either ACA or Blizzard (and it sounds like the Vampire should work) but I was always going to be running one of these three anyway.

Essentially this is why I am interested in one personally, my original Commodore boards are approaching 25 years old and I would like to say they will keep working forever but on this I'm unsure.

Last edited by bester; 16th April 2017 at 10:00 AM.
Old 17th April 2017, 11:08 AM   #2095
GeoKM

Smile My Fav Mod

My Fav Mod would have to be the Pheonix Board I have in my original Amiga A1000 which gave me an 68010 plus Math CP, HDD,SCSI, extra Memory, better Serial and lots of other benefits.

Second to that would be the Cobra 68030 in my A1200HD. But it is a little flakey these days. The A1200 now has a GOTEK in it as well.

I am looking fwd to putting a Vampire into my other Vanilla A1000, and when available a Vampire into my A1200HD.

8-)
GeoKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2017, 6:16 PM   #2096
ohayes

Does anyone attend any Amiga user group meetings? I know there is ones in Syd, Melb & Adelaide and was thinking of attending the one in Sydney to learn more about Amigas & Commodore computers.
ohayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2017, 7:21 PM   #2097
HyRax1
ˇViva la Resolutión!

You just missed this month's Sydney meet. http://www.saug.org.au

The Sydney group is nothing like it used to be, but some fun can still be had.

Generally an idea of what to expect is set before each meeting so that way people who can answer questions etc can come prepared with software or hardware etc.
Old 19th April 2017, 11:01 AM   #2098
bYrd

I'm confused about Kickstart ROMs with Amigas - does a Kickstart 2.05 ROM on an Amiga 2000 mean I can only run Workbench 2.0?

Do I need a special Kickstart 3.1 ROM for the A2000 to run all Workbenches 3.1 and below?

I've an A2000 with a dodgy looking ROM switch that runs Kickstart 1.3 and (I think) 2.05. It now has a flashed Gotek drive and I'd like to install Workbench 3.1 to run WHDLoad.
Old 19th April 2017, 11:16 AM   #2099
ohayes

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyRax1 View Post
You just missed this month's Sydney meet. http://www.saug.org.au

The Sydney group is nothing like it used to be, but some fun can still be had.

Generally an idea of what to expect is set before each meeting so that way people who can answer questions etc can come prepared with software or hardware etc.
Sounds good I might try and get in touch with them
ohayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2017, 12:35 PM   #2100
adz

Quote:
I'm confused about Kickstart ROMs with Amigas - does a Kickstart 2.05 ROM on an Amiga 2000 mean I can only run Workbench 2.0?

Do I need a special Kickstart 3.1 ROM for the A2000 to run all Workbenches 3.1 and below?

I've an A2000 with a dodgy looking ROM switch that runs Kickstart 1.3 and (I think) 2.05. It now has a flashed Gotek drive and I'd like to install Workbench 3.1 to run WHDLoad.
I've never tried to run WB3.1 from a KS2.x ROM or below, but from what I've been reading, WB3.1 will load on a lower version ROM, but you'll lose a lot of functionality. You can pickup a suitable 3.1 ROM from AmigaKit, that's where I've always got mine.

Victoria - The $afety State
adz is offline   Reply With Quote