Kitler is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 10th August 2010, 7:37 PM   #17
SmEaGoLLuM!

Haha I bet that's me when I'm older.
Old 10th August 2010, 7:45 PM   #18
angel Havoc

Needs an air-cannon to shoot stuff.
[Logitech 'G' Owners Club Member #179] || OCAU MetaL Club Member #219 || OCAU Emergency Service's club member #343
Quote:
23:50 - nem: if anyone wants to shag on my grave i'd say go for it
23:51 - nem: nearest i'll get to action
angel Havoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2010, 7:54 PM   #19
SmEaGoLLuM!

Then it'd prob get confiscated by some lame department heh.
Old 10th August 2010, 8:10 PM   #20
DarknRahl Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmEaGoLLuM! View Post
Heh I am slowly building up my tank collection and eventually going bigger and bigger while tinkering with them at the same time since I am an engineer. You should try a 1/16th scale RC model. That is a good size I believe. I've seen the massive 6+ feet long tanks and they are crazy heh.

I guess they are trying to make it as realistic as possible with light tanks. You are the scout for your tank company and you mainly battle the enemy's light tanks.
I remember as a kid seeing a running Hannomag Sd.Kfz 251 half track for sale in one of those car trading magazines. Wish I had had a spare 40k to buy it. I was always a fan of German tanks as a kid due to their superiority and all the cool stories I read about the allies crapping themselves once they spotted a Tiger on the horizon.

In regards to this game I still haven't had a go yet, still downloading and have an assignment to finish however from what I've read you can play in newb only games where almost everyone is zipping about in light tanks. Apparently you should also be spotting for your SP artillery if you are a light tank.
Old 10th August 2010, 8:11 PM   #21
organon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitler View Post
You want to now don't you?

YES!! But a Tiger
organon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2010, 8:41 PM   #22
HeXa

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel Havoc View Post
Needs an air-cannon to shoot stuff.
potato canon
HeXa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2010, 8:43 PM   #23
DavyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmEaGoLLuM! View Post
I guess they are trying to make it as realistic as possible with light tanks. You are the scout for your tank company and you mainly battle the enemy's light tanks.
Not when max speed is 20-30km/hr with the starter light tanks. One of them is even named appropriately "Leightentractor". Seriously, even King Tigers can outpace them .
DavyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2010, 8:55 PM   #24
DarknRahl Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavyG View Post
Not when max speed is 20-30km/hr with the starter light tanks. One of them is even named appropriately "Leightentractor". Seriously, even King Tigers can outpace them .
A lot of light tanks were seriously underpowered. Off the top of my head I remember that a German Mk II which only weighed about 8 tons was the same speed as the far heavier medium tanks like the Mk III/IV's. An American Stuart on the other hand... those things had a massive radial aircraft engine if I remember correctly and were seriously fast although prone to bursting into flames. The American 37mm also packed more of a punch than the German 37mm and definitely more than the 20mm auto cannon in the Mk II.
Old 10th August 2010, 9:27 PM   #25
Kitler

It's not about historical accuracy it's about game-play which I fail to find enjoyable.
Kitler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2010, 10:34 PM   #26
SmEaGoLLuM!

If only we didn't get 400 ping
Old 11th August 2010, 2:48 PM   #27
DarknRahl Thread Starter

Well I played for about four hours last night/this morning. The game is essentially a 15 v 15 deathmatch and usually works out as last man standing although if you capture the enemy base you can win that way. There is a great player base, 30 player game fill up immediately and away you go.

Despite starting with painfully slow and piss poor tanks after 2 hours I got my first kill and figured out you can actually zoom in and stuff. After that I got a decent tank and was doing alright in the recruit area. The tanks are pretty accurately modeled on their armour values and weapon penetration so you can't plink away at a heavy tank, you won't do any damage at all.

I found it entertaining enough and a little bit addictive however there are some definite negatives. This is a European beta so your ping is about 450 and I can't figure out the netcode, I don't know if they try and simulate 0 ping for the end user of if it is like an old Quake game where you have to lead your targets by whatever ping you have. There is also some lag involved with the whole servers being in Europe thing as well.

The final thing is once you get a tier 3 tank you are in for some violent, non consensual surprise sex up the poop chute. You can no longer play in the recruit area and have to join the open games where everyone else has heavy tanks and will own you immediately. The upgrade path I chose means I don't even have speed on my side for my little T-38t however I have to grind away with it until I can research a Hetzer which will actually be capable of killing things. In the mean time I am target practice and occasional scout.

With an Australian or even west coast USA server I could see myself playing the full game. Hopefully they free up the control options as well.
Old 11th August 2010, 3:27 PM   #28
almostsane

i am looking forward to this game... however atm i've had our internet capped at 56K - like speeds thanks to STEAM....

i gotta wait til the 18th b4 i can do anyhting again....
My Rig: AMD PhenomII x6 1090T | AsRock 890FX Deluxe 3 MoBo | 4 GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR3 RAM | G.Skill Phoenix Pro 120GB SSD | 1TB WD Green HDD | Gigabyte ATI Radeon HD5870 SOC Edition | Corsair Hydro Series H50 CPU Cooler in Push/Pull | BenQ 24x DVD RW | CoolerMaster CM 690II Advanced Case | BenQ G2420HD 24" Monitor | Logitech Mk700 Wireless KB/M|
I respect that everyone is entitled to thier own opinions, even if those opinions happen to be wrong.
almostsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2010, 6:34 PM   #29
DarknRahl Thread Starter

Well after some serious addiction I've got to a Tier 4 tank. A good old Mark III. For anyone wondering if the heavy punishment of the early open game is worth it I reckon so. I now survive rounds and even get a few kills and plenty of damages now that I actually have a decent tank.

I also noticed if you play during Australia's normal playing times that there are more newer players around. Playing during the early hours of the morning results in enormous quantities of super tanks from all the european players who have been playing for ages.

Never stop moving.
Old 16th August 2010, 1:02 AM   #30
deeman111

ive had a few rounds taking 3 or more kills with the AT-1 tank destroyer, but the giant ping is whats killing me the most. Really need a server a bit closer to here.

I think with a better server it will be a great game, im having fun even though i struggle.
deeman111 is offline   Reply With Quote