Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Software Topics > PC Games > MMOs

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 16th August 2010, 4:33 AM   #31
DarknRahl Thread Starter

Yeah I had trouble with the ping until I discovered auto aim. It means hitting turrets more often than you would like but it makes the game very playable. When you have an immobilized opponent you can switch to manual with no big penalty. There is no strafing in this game obviously and many tanks are quite sluggish so I really haven't felt disadvantaged playing with a 460 ping.

If you are playing at the moment then the connection is shit because they are farting around with servers at the moment. It's unplayable for me at the moment. Has been going on for a couple of days and will go on a couple more. Hopefully at the end of it there will be a new server in the US which means pings of 190-260.

Apparently the Russian beta group are now playing version 1.0.

One other thing, make sure you look at the tech tree and figure out what you want to go for. I'm going for the Panther and am currently on a Mk III/IV and almost have a Leopard light tank, those things look so fun to play. Don't go down a route where you are going for too many things. There's not enough money to go round for more than a Tier 1/2 back up tank for recruit games plus a Tier 3/4 and whatever your primary tank is.

Save your gold to upgrade to premium for a day, week or whatever. 50% more credits and experience and be sure to transfer your old crew to you new tank!

This is a really helpful thread:

http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index....now-about-wot/

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 17th August 2010, 6:35 AM   #32
DarknRahl Thread Starter

Seems the worst of the lag from the server upgrades has passed.

Also bought my first day of premium and it makes a really big difference. Once you get a tier 5 tank it is reaally slow going to save up experience and money for the next level. Premium really speeds it up.
Old 4th September 2010, 12:34 PM   #33
DarknRahl Thread Starter

The latest patch has been out for a few days. Loads of free gold and all your experience back so you can get the tank you want.

The main difference is the match making system combined with everyone having way too much experience and gold to spend with not all the tech trees for all the countries available. It basically means you will be involved in battles with ludicrous amounts of super heavies at times. Although if you are on lower tier tanks these battles are still meant to be fairly well rounded.

The game is now playing on a US server so the ping has dropped down around 150-200ms for us Australian folk. The US tanks will be released soon as well.

Edit: This is sad, I've been replying to my own thread three times in a row. Internet shame.
Old 5th September 2010, 7:16 PM   #34
Hamba

Since the move to the US servers this game has been a lot more fun imo

From tassy it's about 250ms ping v.playable compared to 400ms rubber banding tanks of before.

Loving all the free gold, but there are to many people in super heavy tanks now (cause everyone got free gold).

Got myself a maxed out leopard, working my way up the Soviet SPG tree.

The inclusion of 3 player squads is also pretty cool, if your on Voice coms and can coordinate = rape.
Old 19th September 2010, 10:21 PM   #35
Moochin_Bastard

this game is fantasic i love it, have been playing it for like 3 days straight lol.
Just about to get my Panzer IV then ppl is gonna die

Media Server - Gigabyte Z77X-UD5h WB, i7 2700k, G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4gb 2133Mhz DDR3, Gigabyte GTX 780 , Antec 1000W PSU, Antec P193 case, Samsung 55".
Moochin_Bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2010, 7:36 PM   #36
Oncogene_01

Would love to join the fellow OCAU'ers but the registration is closed and you need an invite code to join the beta.

Can anyone help
pm me details if you can.

Dean
Old 21st September 2010, 12:27 PM   #37
DavyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moochin_Bastard View Post
this game is fantasic i love it, have been playing it for like 3 days straight lol.
Just about to get my Panzer IV then ppl is gonna die
You'll go alright against a Tiger I, their armor can be penetrated by a T34.
DavyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2010, 3:16 PM   #38
DarknRahl Thread Starter

I don't know any invite codes unfortunately.

I've almost got my Panther fully upgraded and have a tricked out DB, Hummel, Stug and Pz 38(H).

Hummel and Stug are the two best money makers I have. The Hummel makes around 30k-50k clear a match and the Stug usually makes 20k-35k.

I've added DavyGT to my contacts, for anyone else playing my name is 'DarknRahl' we should try and platoon up at some stage. I think there's a bit of a disparity in tanks though at the moment so platoons may not be so useful.
Old 23rd September 2010, 10:26 PM   #39
DavyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarknRahl View Post
I don't know any invite codes unfortunately.

I've almost got my Panther fully upgraded and have a tricked out DB, Hummel, Stug and Pz 38(H).

Hummel and Stug are the two best money makers I have. The Hummel makes around 30k-50k clear a match and the Stug usually makes 20k-35k.

I've added DavyGT to my contacts, for anyone else playing my name is 'DarknRahl' we should try and platoon up at some stage. I think there's a bit of a disparity in tanks though at the moment so platoons may not be so useful.
Gamespot are giving away codes, just need to make an account with them.

A platoon only supports up to 3 tankers and the leader needs to have a premium account.

EDIT: Worked my way up to an IS, switched back to my original path for the T44 pre-wipe and started working on getting a King Tiger/Hummel/Panther.
The BT-2 is the most fun tank to drive.

Last edited by DavyG; 23rd September 2010 at 10:32 PM.
DavyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2010, 10:34 AM   #40
Oncogene_01

thanks to all
. got in. nik is Oncogene .

a few problems initially. no invert mouse
had to track down preferences.xml (under win 7 it is hidden)
tweaked a lot of the graphic settings

Looks good - running HIGH (modified no grass layer) @ 5760 x 1080 and get 30 - 60 fps. Smoke is a real fps killer.

also
geeze those low tier (free) tanks suck . just got tier 2 and improving
say hello to 40mm T26.
Old 24th September 2010, 11:57 AM   #41
DarknRahl Thread Starter

Your best bet is saving up for premium, will really speed the upgrade process along. Look at the tech tree and stick at the tank you are going for.

Yeah I was a bit disappointed at no control customization but got used to it pretty quick.
Old 25th September 2010, 2:10 AM   #42
DarknRahl Thread Starter

I've had to uninstall WoT due to having to pass statistics this semester. I'll be back once exams are over. If I didn't I' wouldn't get any work done.
Old 26th September 2010, 4:20 PM   #43
Hamba

Shatterd Crystal are still giving away keys if people wanted to try this game, register at shattered crystal and purchase the key for $0

http://www.shatteredcrystal.com/inde...world_of_tanks

You get a free premium tank with the beta key as well.
Old 26th September 2010, 10:51 PM   #44
irR4tiOn4L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitler View Post
Anyone recommend a good tank game? I need a fix now...
Not strictly a tank game or sim but I find the tank combat in Men of War is great. Scaled down distances to be fun but wonderful approximation of penetration and armor.

Originally posted by Irish Proverb When you are right, no one remembers. When you are wrong, no one forgets.

Originally posted by Ben Franklin Once people realise they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic
irR4tiOn4L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2010, 2:24 PM   #45
excrament

hamba what premium tank you get ?
i like the game but the amount of time to get out of the light tank and into a heavy is long
i just want a tiger II :[
excrament is offline   Reply With Quote