OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Software Topics > PC Games > MMOs

Notices

Old 4th October 2010, 4:43 PM   #76
DarknRahl Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franc View Post
Is it worth it at lower levels?

Whats Tier 5? I just got my first medium tank (Panzer in Maus line) and its mostly fully upgraded...I miss my III A though, as that kicked ass with its elite crew starting to hit the 80 percenters

Oh, and I have found for anyone new like myself - that when you are against laggy opponents (pretty much the only way you can hit them) or driving fast using the auto gunner can be a really good idea. As can switching shells based on your opponent.

One thing that I have noticed (that is really quite aggravating) is the lack of spatial awareness by some of the players. If I get damaged tracks again from some idiot going at right angles to everyone else without looking at the start....nothing like going at 2/3 speed from the outset because a teammate cant drive
Another reply explained the tier system but tier 5-6 is your best money making tier because you have vehicles that may be a little fragile but they can still penetrate almost all tiers above them with the right gun (you get mad loot for damaging tanks of a higher tier than yourself).

In the case of the Stug your 360 hit points and thin armour is really well balanced by the fact that with a camo net, binoculars and a crew with the camouflage skill you are invisible most of the time and you have the same visual range as most tanks in the game. I've had enemy tanks sitting 20 meters in front of me who simply can't spot me hiding in bushes firing at them the whole time. Even if you get knocked out in a Stugg the cost of repairs and 75mm ammo is minimal, with premium it's impossible not to make some profit. Another great reason to get the Stug is that the tank destroyer branch of the tree requires less experience and money to upgrade than the others which again quickly gets you a Stug and a chance to make lots of easy money. Just keep in mind you will be camping in a bush most of the game covering your flag and protecting your arty.

In regards to upgrading tanks at early levels, estimate how long it will take you to unlock the next tank and how much money you need to earn, simply earn the money to buy the next tank first then feel free to spend any after that on upgrades, I never really had the money until about tier 6-7 at which point the grind to the next tank is a lot longer which means money lying around with no tank to buy yet.
If you aren't sure only buy upgrades you can remove from the current tank and put in another later on like a camo net or binoculars.

I always use auto aim as my ping is 380-420. The only time I don't use it is when I'm in close quarters fighting circling someone or the target I'm firing at is immobilised at which point you can take aim at their weak spots.
If you have a light tank driving across your field of vision I often hit auto aim then turn it off quickly as this tells you roughly how far to lead the tank combined with your ping, normally I nudge it further ahead and let fire. However I mostly just wait until the target is coming towards or away from me and make the easy shot.

Don't bother with HE ammunition unless you can't pierce the targets armour with AP. HE often does module damage especially on high tier tanks, my Panther takes module damage at the drop of a hat, so even if it seems like you're doing nothing firing HE at that IS4 you may very well be ruining his main gun, engine or injuring crew members. It seems to balance the advantage high tier tanks have the designers make them take module and crew damage all the bloody time.

As for the rumble at the start of the round if the tank is bigger than you it generally ain't stopping so get out the way. It is annoying when people cut right across where you've been driving the whole time though, it's easier for me now I have a Panther as when people do it to me they normally track themselves and lose a quarter of their health whilst I rumble off without taking a scratch.

edit: Oh yeah if you are planning on selling your tank after your next upgrade then make sure you take the crew with you if their experience is above 85% or if they have skills. My advice is to keep your previous tank for money making whilst you get your new tank fully upgraded, almost all tanks that aren't fully upgraded are really slow and frustrating to play.

Last edited by DarknRahl; 4th October 2010 at 4:48 PM.
DarknRahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2010, 5:06 PM   #77
Matt05

cool game
Matt05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2010, 5:49 PM   #78
Xenomorph

Its always worth keeping more than 1 tank in the garage.
If you get killed early in a battle and don't want to wait for the round to finish you can exit the battle and take one of your spare tanks out for a fight.
You still get XP/credits for the fight once its finished.
Old 4th October 2010, 7:43 PM   #79
Gunna

does anyone elses play in window mode? How can I get it full screen?
Gunna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2010, 8:14 PM   #80
DavyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarknRahl View Post
In the case of the Stug your 360 hit points and thin armour is really well balanced by the fact that with a camo net, binoculars and a crew with the camouflage skill you are invisible most of the time and you have the same visual range as most tanks in the game. I've had enemy tanks sitting 20 meters in front of me who simply can't spot me hiding in bushes firing at them the whole time. Even if you get knocked out in a Stugg the cost of repairs and 75mm ammo is minimal, with premium it's impossible not to make some profit. Another great reason to get the Stug is that the tank destroyer branch of the tree requires less experience and money to upgrade than the others which again quickly gets you a Stug and a chance to make lots of easy money. Just keep in mind you will be camping in a bush most of the game covering your flag and protecting your arty.
How well does the Stug go against being encircled by tanks such as T-34 or, in the worse case, T-44?
I played under the old matchmaking system, so I don't know how they match up, but does the Stug go against Tier 7 and up tanks often? I rarely get Stugs and Hetzers in my games but when they do appear, I can one shot them with my IS.
I've seen many JagdPanthers and Ferdinards knocked out simply from being shot behind, at point blank or being circled or artied.
DavyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2010, 9:20 PM   #81
426 Hemi

You can get keys without signing up for anything here.

Successful trades: ALx, charithjperera, mitch79, aussie-revhead, hendot, Saiyan_Overlord, yaphax, cmanc, not4us, Parthi, heratio, ddxsamx,linton, Dr freedom, spokeydokey, wellstastic, Joshhy,f0d, Jaffa_Cree.
426 Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2010, 9:49 PM   #82
Xenomorph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunna View Post
From your garage just select the menu and and then settings.
There is a box to tick for full screen.
Old 4th October 2010, 10:50 PM   #83
Gunna

Ok so how does one get more gold?? I can't see an option to refill gold
Gunna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2010, 11:32 PM   #84
Franc

Quote:
Ok so how does one get more gold?? I can't see an option to refill gold
Its a closed beta, you get more gold every day but cant buy it
Old 4th October 2010, 11:35 PM   #85
DarknRahl Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavyG View Post
How well does the Stug go against being encircled by tanks such as T-34 or, in the worse case, T-44?
I played under the old matchmaking system, so I don't know how they match up, but does the Stug go against Tier 7 and up tanks often? I rarely get Stugs and Hetzers in my games but when they do appear, I can one shot them with my IS.
I've seen many JagdPanthers and Ferdinands knocked out simply from being shot behind, at point blank or being circled or artied.
Yeah you'll get one shotted by the big boys but it is the best turning assault gun around so a tank of equal or lower tier can be dealt with if it is circling you. The key obviously is to avoid being circled, that normally only happens once the rest of your team is cactus. The other key is the camouflage and camo net with a full trained crew. You can spit out shots like nobodies business and no one will see you. When you need to get away you also have the fastest assault gun going in the German line, a 40km/h speed limit but fantastic power to weight ratio so you hit top speed immediately. If you get tracked you are screwed, for some reason the Stug takes FOREVER to repair a broken track. You can get a repair box but it doesn't really help, I just avoid getting tracked by hiding and avoid running about if I can.

You will still die a fair bit but you always get the chance to dish out more than enough punishment to make a tidy profit when using the L/70. Remember it's about the best at making money, not being the best tank. My tier 7 DB and tier 8 Panther rarely ever make the same reliable income my Stug can, once you lose a round or die you will only make a paltry profit due to repairs and ammo.

But yeah Hummel is still the absolute bomb money maker along with the soviet tier 5 arty. Just need to know how best to use arty obviously.

Last edited by DarknRahl; 4th October 2010 at 11:42 PM.
DarknRahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2010, 4:56 PM   #86
Hamba

Quote:
I play this in windowed mode, means I can do other stuff between battles (waiting for squad mates to die etc). There is a check box in the graphics setting for full screen mode, or alternatively you can just hit CTL-Enter and it should go full screen.

Have a fully upgraded Su-14 (school bus) and just got an IS, A stock IS about 10x times more fun to play than any of the KV-XXX tanks, so if your grinding the KV's hang in there it's worth it once you get to the IS..
Old 7th October 2010, 5:49 PM   #87
r8response

Keep your KV-3, an upgraded one will earn alot more XP and credits than a stock IS.

Do a battle in the KV-3 and if you get blown up, exit battle and jump in your IS
r8response is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 2:07 PM   #88
AgB deano

Gah, looks like the new patch killed the game. Lagging like a mofo!

Anyway, i'm playing with an grille (110% gunner, driver, loader/radio but only 100% commander for some reason) with the arty shell rammer (-10% reload times), gun laying drive (+10% aiming speed) and camo netting and oh baby, i'm having a blast. Min 10,000 a match, max i've gotten is 26,000

I don't think i'll bother going for the hummel, grille is fully upgraded and i'm halfway there experience wise but i'm taking it easy at the moment. just waiting for the soft reset that will come with the major update due in november.

Also playing with an elite leopard (100% driver and commander/gunner, 85% reloader and radio) with the spall lining upgrade. Good fun

I think after the major update and soft reset (for those that don't know, the soft reset will reset your account but you will be able to keep all experience/gold/credits accrued throughout the beta) i'll probably get a panther and hummel straight off then start mucking around with the american tanks from scratch.

Last edited by AgB deano; 22nd October 2010 at 2:32 PM.
AgB deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 2:29 PM   #89
dave_dave_dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by |AgB|deano View Post
110% gunner, driver, loader/radio but only 100% commander for some reason
That would be because your commander gives 10% of his training to the crew but not and extra 10% of his training to himself.

\0/
|
/\
Muhammad
dave_dave_dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 3:15 PM   #90
iPeter
(Banned or Deleted)

Ever since the patched update today WOT is fucked. I can no longer play it as it fails to connect. I have posted on the WOT forums, so too, many many other peeps worldwide. So as of today, the game is unplayable.
iPeter is offline   Reply With Quote