Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Software Topics > PC Games > MMOs

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 22nd October 2010, 6:45 PM   #91
AgB deano

I think it might be fine now.

The usual system maintainance time is from 5pm to 6pm in aus ("did you turn it off and on again?" hehe) and right now in game it seems fine. Just played a game on the new map, cliff I think it was? Pretty sweet map.

Last edited by AgB deano; 22nd October 2010 at 6:50 PM.
AgB deano is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 29th October 2010, 11:00 PM   #92
Xenomorph

Anyone else still playing this regularly?
Should team up for platoon action. Have a small vent server we can use.
pm for vent details if you are interested

Team matches is going up in a couple of days. 3 seperate leagues based on tier levels.
Maybe we can get an OCAU team going.

Last edited by Xenomorph; 30th October 2010 at 12:32 PM.
Xenomorph is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2010, 12:42 AM   #93
DarknRahl Thread Starter

Thought I'd dig this thread up again. Half the US tank tree will be released in the next week or so plus a few new maps and various tweaks.

I got a bit sick of grinding with my Jagd Panzer IV as I'd still rather be using my Stug so think I'll wait until I have a bunch of spare gold to transfer XP to get my Jagd Panther.

Also have a T-34 and a KV-3 now. The T-34 is without doubt the best Tier 5 in the game. When you are in a game where you are one of the top ranked tanks it is absolute slaw, especially on the open maps. You are untouchable as you are too fast plus have sloped armour and your 57mm goes through all the low tier tanks like hot butter and fires at a round every 1.8secs with a rammer. It is a really fun tank to play with and one you want to hold onto to make money. The awesome thing is you can circle Tigers with it as well and pierce their armour just fine, once tracked they have no hope of shooting you either.

KV-3 is a giant, fat and slow target but played like a tank destroyer is quite satisfying and you will have plenty of steel wall awards. I'm running binoculars at the moment to make maximum use of my 107mm and so I'm not outranged by German tanks with superior view distances.
The grind with the KV was a bit painful but also quite amusing, it is a seriously slow tank, however I got the most kills ever in one round where I got 9 kills with it, I was top tier tank and playing a bunch of nubs though.

I'll send xenomorph a private message and see if we can't get some platooning on sometime and try and match some suitable tanks together. Should be good having some chums to help you out rather than duck behind a building and leave you in the open to take all the fire.

How is everyone else doing? What tiers are people getting up to?

If people want to reply with what tanks they are using I can update the original post for epeen value.
Old 4th November 2010, 1:17 AM   #94
Franc

I was playing with a Panzer IV, as a scout (and anti arty) role but stopped coz of idiots crashing into me etc...very frustrating.

If theres an OCAU platoon, ill reinstall in a sec.
Old 4th November 2010, 10:15 AM   #95
Xenomorph

I am running an IS at the moment as my main and KV-3 as backup.
KV-3 is good with the 107mm if you can deal with its speed...
The hill climbing and traverse is painful on KV-3 and makes it an easy target for TD/Arty.

The IS is great fun as it has same armour as KV-3 but high speed and traverse.
It needs the 107mm instead of the 100mm i think as i get a lot of dings with it.
IS and T43/T44 make great combo for flanking.

Only problem with IS now is the players seem to be getting worse at this tier.
Getting more battles with Tigers that like to sit in open and shoot and then getting pounded by arty instead of staying on the move, as an example.
Old 4th November 2010, 11:36 AM   #96
excrament

Xenomorph i decided to byte the bullet and get a good set of wireless headset so should have them by next week or so depending on funds

platooning is ok but hard when you are the small tank or way lower in the food chain he he

i want to get in the games were ive gott the bigger tank for once im trying to get a tiger tank but holy crapp slow going for experience and funds especially if you have a few tanks in the barn upgrading and adding extra items to them and getting your crew into 100% drains the credits real quick

it was funny my boy plays as well he went russian and got a KV when he saw how many were in the crew he almost crapped himself LOL

Dave
excrament is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2010, 12:47 PM   #97
Xenomorph

Quote:
Originally Posted by excrament View Post
Xenomorph i decided to byte the bullet and get a good set of wireless headset so should have them by next week or so depending on funds

platooning is ok but hard when you are the small tank or way lower in the food chain he he

i want to get in the games were ive gott the bigger tank for once im trying to get a tiger tank but holy crapp slow going for experience and funds especially if you have a few tanks in the barn upgrading and adding extra items to them and getting your crew into 100% drains the credits real quick

it was funny my boy plays as well he went russian and got a KV when he saw how many were in the crew he almost crapped himself LOL

Dave
Or you could just use a desktop mic which cost like $3 which is what i use...

It can be bit hard when there is a big Tier difference.
But its not as bad when you are using arty. You have a VK3001 as well i think which is a T6 medium so thats good enough if you put a good gun on it.
Mobility makes a big difference.
Old 4th November 2010, 4:39 PM   #98
DarknRahl Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenomorph View Post
I am running an IS at the moment as my main and KV-3 as backup.
KV-3 is good with the 107mm if you can deal with its speed...
The hill climbing and traverse is painful on KV-3 and makes it an easy target for TD/Arty.

The IS is great fun as it has same armour as KV-3 but high speed and traverse.
It needs the 107mm instead of the 100mm i think as i get a lot of dings with it.
IS and T43/T44 make great combo for flanking.

Only problem with IS now is the players seem to be getting worse at this tier.
Getting more battles with Tigers that like to sit in open and shoot and then getting pounded by arty instead of staying on the move, as an example.
The 100mm has better penetration and aims quicker. Most people on the various forums prefer it over the 107mm once they can get it. The 107mm is amazing firepower for tier 5 when you get it on your KV, that pop gun was also good for a laugh, takes 30secs to reload but the pain you dish out when you hit...

As for the IS, that was the reason I decided to start up the Russian Heavy line. Decent armour with some good slopes and decent speed. I'll also take the IS3-7 over the German heavies any day of the week. When I get round to the German Heavy line I'll head up to King Tiger only, it's just such a sexy tank.

Tiger tank drivers often stick out as being stupid, I often see them having a cry about arty after they have driven into the middle of an open field and commenced firing, of course artillery will smack you.

Edit: What are peoples in game names by the way?
Old 4th November 2010, 7:26 PM   #99
Xenomorph

In theory the 100mm is better but i just seem to have more dings with it over the 107mm.
For the KV i found the 122mm U-11 best overall.
It only fires HEAT but has 160 pen/370 dmg with only a slightly slower fire rate than the 107mm. Remembering HEAT has high chance of module dmg when it penetrates.
It doesn't require the upgraded turret unlike the 107mm. Stock turret has much better turn speed 25 vs 14 for the same armour rating.

In game name is same as forum name...
Old 4th November 2010, 8:06 PM   #100
timsarg

i see a kv and i start frothing at the mouth as an easy kill in my panther
timsarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2010, 9:55 PM   #101
DarknRahl Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenomorph View Post
In theory the 100mm is better but i just seem to have more dings with it over the 107mm.
For the KV i found the 122mm U-11 best overall.
It only fires HEAT but has 160 pen/370 dmg with only a slightly slower fire rate than the 107mm. Remembering HEAT has high chance of module dmg when it penetrates.
It doesn't require the upgraded turret unlike the 107mm. Stock turret has much better turn speed 25 vs 14 for the same armour rating.

In game name is same as forum name...
I never spend gold on ammo but heat would be nasty indeed. I was using the 122mm with HE and it was ok but using the 107mm allowed me to knock tanks out rather than just pestering them, and do so from a big distance where I was hidden and safe from reprisal. The 76mm just seemed like a waste of time for me with the KV, it was the first tank I used where I only used HE. I much prefer AP and only use HE at long range vs tanks I have little chance of damaging, I always soften Panthers up with some HE for myself and my team mates though. I know from owning one that every HE that hits you normally results in module damage or crew injuries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timsarg View Post
i see a kv and i start frothing at the mouth as an easy kill in my panther
As for frothing at the mouth when you see a KV in a Panther I don't think there's much argument there. However you won't be frothing at the mouth when you take 300 damage and lose crew and modules from some KV with a camo net in a bush you can't see. Every tank can be effective in this game if you maximise your strengths and minimise your weaknesses. I had my best games as a KV where I was at long range to my opponents, well hidden and where my utter lack of mobility wasn't a factor.
Old 5th November 2010, 5:31 PM   #102
Guardian452

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitler View Post
Anyone recommend a good tank game? I need a fix now...
Battleground Europe (formerly WW2Online).

Not strictly a tank game as it is combined arms (infantry, armor, air, navy(kinda)) but it does pursue historical accuracy as much as it can given the boundaries of computer gaming. It is subscription based (a turn off for some) and even though it has gone through a recent facelift it still looks like dogs balls in the prettyness stakes compared to most modern games.

FWIW...I've been playing sim style games since Gunship on the C64 (ahhh...Microprose back in the day). BE has held my attention for 5 years (even though I have been on long term hiatus....babies tend to subtract from hardcore PC gaming). I've never played a game which even begins to approach the depth of BE.

Sorry for thread tangent, just answering a question and you may now return to your normal programming.
Guardian452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2011, 6:18 PM   #103
excrament

found this if any one is interested in changing the look of there tank in the game

http://www.tarrif.net/wot/

this site has some nice skins as well

http://www.online-translator.com/sit...te&prmtlang=en

Dave

Last edited by excrament; 17th January 2011 at 8:47 PM.
Old 17th January 2011, 8:40 PM   #104
excrament

also i see there are server changes which willl be the best for us in OZ i asume the USA servers ?

http://game.worldoftanks.com/news/ge...uster_division

see the details of it in this link

lol i see it says the north american servers for AU :]

Dave

Last edited by excrament; 17th January 2011 at 8:43 PM.
Old 18th January 2011, 6:04 AM   #105
r8response

So instead of their planned (but ultimately cancelled) softwipe, all games for the next 3 days are providing a shit load of XP and Credits
r8response is offline   Reply With Quote