OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Software Topics > PC Games > MMOs

Notices

Old 1st February 2011, 7:38 PM   #121
dave_dave_dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2o View Post
fark you guys are freaks !!

which nation is preferred ? currently i'm thinking of sticking with the russians
Yep, i like to wind down from sys admining all day with some online gaming.

Russian Heavies teir 7+ are the best heavies in the game. (blow that they suck a fair bit)
Russian T-54 is the best medium in the game. (all though low teir russian mediums are punishment, the t-44 is okish)
German tank destroyers are the best.
Arty is pretty much all the same.

Russian more suit an agressive charge in play style. Germans are excellent snipers. American tanks are kind of the middle ground but are generally considered worse than both German and Russian.

Saying that a good player will dominate in any tank from any nation.

\0/
|
/\
Muhammad
dave_dave_dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2011, 3:40 PM   #122
Morphine

I'm finding American tanks just get pooped on mostly, especially the higher tiers (I don't last long in a tier 8 T32). IS and Tigers mow me hard, even with the armor plating equipment (500k worth).

I've only just been able to build up my gold back to the 1,5k mark and about 1.5mil credits. I'm saving my gold up to cash in the 70odd k of free xp I need to convert from the 5x xp days.

My Diablo 3 Witch Doctor

Morphine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2011, 3:57 PM   #123
r8response

My IS-4 can get mowed down by even the dumbest T-34/T-32 driver.

Also, i hate the T-44/T-54's, cannot count the amount of times i've bounced/ricocheted them
r8response is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2011, 4:32 PM   #124
Xenomorph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphine View Post
I'm finding American tanks just get pooped on mostly, especially the higher tiers (I don't last long in a tier 8 T32). IS and Tigers mow me hard, even with the armor plating equipment (500k worth).
Armour plating equipment? If you are talking about the spall liner that doesn't protect you from normal AP tank shells. Good against HE rounds (which is what most arty use) and ramming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r8response View Post

Also, i hate the T-44/T-54's, cannot count the amount of times i've bounced/ricocheted them
I also find the top 3 US heavies a pain to deal with in my IS-4 even with the 130mm gun. The front armour seems to be much better than equivalent Russian/Gernman heavies. The stats don't show the armour to be that thick so it must be the slope of the armour that bounces the shots. Haven't really found any consistent weak spots to aim for yet...What works one game seems to bounce the next.
T-44 is no problem for me except for the speed they move at but T-54 can bounce sometimes though its more a problem of it takes 4-5 round penetrations to kill them which is the same as a T8+ heavy. Least with a heavy they don't move faster than you can aim your gun.
Old 3rd February 2011, 9:14 AM   #125
Morphine

Quote:

I seem to have issues with IS4s, even aiming for the fuel tanks, ammo rack. The number of bounce offs / ricochets I get is ridiculous, even from hitting them side on. T54s I may as well lay down and wait for the rogering.

What I really hate is hearing "critical hit" and seeing them roll on like nothing's happened. The big annoyance is the "another one and that'll be the end of them" - you hit the tank again, nope, they're still alive!

Yeah, I have the spall liner, still get smashed by arty though. Should probably have not spent the 500k.

I'm not sure what you're doing r8response, but IS3+s are always a problem for me, and it's not like I'm waving my ass in the wind, nearly 90% of the time I'm front on.

My Diablo 3 Witch Doctor

Old 3rd February 2011, 11:48 AM   #126
Xenomorph

We should jump in a training match and practice against each other to find weak spots. I need to find good locations on T32/34/30 and i can bring an IS3/4 for you to shoot at.
Old 3rd February 2011, 2:34 PM   #127
Morphine

I know the ammo racks are on the left and ride side of the turret on the T32/34 (pretty sure it'd be the same on the T30). One thing I was going to do is jump onto the official WoT forums and search for a thread about the vulnerabilities for each tank so I can target particular areas on tanks and protect myself better.

My Diablo 3 Witch Doctor

Old 3rd February 2011, 5:05 PM   #128
Xenomorph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphine View Post
I know the ammo racks are on the left and ride side of the turret on the T32/34 (pretty sure it'd be the same on the T30). One thing I was going to do is jump onto the official WoT forums and search for a thread about the vulnerabilities for each tank so I can target particular areas on tanks and protect myself better.
Knowing where the ammo racks are one thing but you have to be able to penetrate to hit them...
There is a thread on offical forums which has some schematics and models of a few of the tank which can show you placement of things like ammo/fuel. They don't really show the weak points in the armour though. Hitting the entry hatches is usually a good spot as they have less armour.

This link is a sticky with links to all the good threads about different tank/equipment types and damages. Also has the link to the thread with schematics.
http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index....e-discussions/
Old 1st March 2011, 1:25 PM   #129
excrament

any one doing the pre purchase i see new patch some time today

also got my Jagdtiger all i can say is what a fuxin let down its the biggest piece of crapp the Ferdi is better
excrament is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2011, 11:34 AM   #130
dave_dave_dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by excrament View Post
any one doing the pre purchase i see new patch some time today

also got my Jagdtiger all i can say is what a fuxin let down its the biggest piece of crapp the Ferdi is better
Yeah i'm thinking about a preorder. Only because The Old Republic don't have a release date yet.

I've just got my ferdi fully upgraded its an absolute killing machine, bounces shots like crazy. Except the cammo is still fucked, on open maps as soon as i fire i get about half a dozen hidden tanks shooting at me from across the map, i generally don't last 10 seconds.

I'm going to go down the Russian heavy line on release and then maybe the German TD line if they fix the camo issues.

\0/
|
/\
Muhammad
dave_dave_dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2011, 12:40 PM   #131
excrament

Lol i did a RAGE Sale and got rid of the Jagdtiger
have decided to go the russian medium tanks got a T34-85 and its quite good the Russian crew seem to train up fast as well but im aiming for the T54 doubt i will get there before release but atleast ill have the experience

also im used to all German TD, heavy and arty so medium tank fighting style is a bit different so gott hammered at first but after a rethink of stratagy its getting easyer

also the pre buy starts after the 4th of this month if the WOT forums are correct
excrament is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2011, 11:53 AM   #132
Durandal

Downloaded a copy of this for the Open beta and mostly having fun!

I say mostly because there are a few things that the video tutorials and such don't tell you so what follows is advice/complaining. (For anyone else thinking of playing)

Firstly; if you think you've been spotted, move, artillery is preposterous, apparently a falling shell motivated by gravity can penetrate armor like it doesn't exist and hits harder than an AP 76mm tank shot from 200metres.

I hate artillery.

Secondly; light tanks in tiers above, say, 2, are there to be the whipping boys of heavy and medium tanks and worse still the match making system seems to throw light tanks against tiers several above them (In my A-20 I've been put in rounds against IS-3's) This means they can pretty much one-shot me.

Light tanks are 'scout' tanks (which seems to be a cheap way of saying you're bait) so the tactic seems to be to hide (early on, charging at their base achieves nothing than a quick death and the enemy team is likely already on the move to better locations, etc, so lurk near the start location, hidden till tanks spread out) , run around and 'light up' targets for your own teams artillery, and hope that there are enemy artillery cause the shells in light tanks aren't gonna hurt anything else.

Anti-tank seems to be put against tougher tiers, too. But often they have guns big enough to do /something/.

----------

Of course there is nothing better than that feeling of actually getting lucky and penetrating the rear armour of a heavy even if it takes like 2% of it's health off. Then it's time to do tank burnouts and hoon off.

It's also awesome playing in a 'platoon' with a few mates.

I'm seriously tempted to buy when it gets released. It's addictive.

Also, if you haven't yet, check out the trailers for it. There's 4 of them and they're great.

Last edited by Durandal; 10th March 2011 at 11:54 AM. Reason: changed arty - artillery
Durandal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2011, 3:02 PM   #133
r8response

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durandal View Post
Light tanks are 'scout' tanks (which seems to be a cheap way of saying you're bait) so the tactic seems to be to hide (early on, charging at their base achieves nothing than a quick death and the enemy team is likely already on the move to better locations, etc, so lurk near the start location, hidden till tanks spread out) , run around and 'light up' targets for your own teams artillery, and hope that there are enemy artillery cause the shells in light tanks aren't gonna hurt anything else.
If you are in a light tank against heavies. You'll get more XP/Credits if you bust out from the start and "spot" them, rather than just camp like a little bitch.

If you spot 3/4 of their team and get taken out. Simply exit the battle and get into another tank and join another game.
r8response is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2011, 6:55 PM   #134
Juggs

wot = no other nations tank will be better then a russian tank

finally got a fully upgraded vk4502 with premium amo i bounce regularly on t- anything
Juggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2011, 9:30 AM   #135
Durandal

Quote:
If you are in a light tank against heavies. You'll get more XP/Credits if you bust out from the start and "spot" them, rather than just camp like a little bitch.

If you spot 3/4 of their team and get taken out. Simply exit the battle and get into another tank and join another game.
That's true, but kind of goes against the 'working as a team' idea. I've heard that in higher tiers it's very hard to earn credits so maybe then you'd go back to rush some credits, I dunno.

I just found that as I was working my way up the tiers it was much more enjoyable to contribute than to rush in, light some up as they move out of their base get killed by 15 tank shots in 3 seconds then quit and go to another vehicle.