Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Modding

Notices

Old 17th October 2016, 10:31 AM   #4276
Nateid03

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyb1987 View Post
Here is my another built after 10 years. So far it's working great except for 3 things.

1) The casing fans did make some noise that I can hear them if I don't turn on music.

2) Finger print stay on the case.

3) The thumbscrew to open both side panel seem to be off for 1 or 2 mm. I have to screw it in angle.

However, the overall performance is pretty great. I can play mad max, rise of tomb raider in all highest settings.

Hey mate setup looks great - how does the Cryorig cooler go? Been tossing up whether to get one or not.

Surface Pro 3 - i5, 128GB
Nateid03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2016, 4:13 PM   #4277
Ratzz

Had some minor problems with the PSU on my latest reskin.. the cables weren't long enough. I've had a bit of a look around the shed and found some extenders which will do the trick, but while I had the old 600W Bronze Silverstone out, I thought I might pretty it up a bit to suit the build.

Stripped the whole thing, gave it all a badly needed clean, and repainted the outer frame red, inside and out.

The Ratzz badge may or may not stay there, its going to be somewhere and should be nicely lit in that position.

The original Silverstone sticker was actually on the other side, but I've moved it to the unseen side of the PSU. Hey, if it was a 1500W Platinum I might have left it on the visible side... of course all the warranty stickers are gone, oh well.

The fan was the standard Silverstone blue, and even though it will be mounted fan side down and the fan will only be visible from underneath through a filter.. well blue looks dick against red.. so its the same fan, just painted white.

Hopefully it will all look good when I get it back into the case.

My Rig- Nokia 830, with silicone jacket upgrade.

Last edited by Ratzz; 19th October 2016 at 10:17 AM.
Ratzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2016, 4:34 PM   #4278
AntikytheraBB

i wonder if paint on a fan would be enough weight to affect it. or if it might change surface flow enough to affect performance.
AntikytheraBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2016, 6:55 PM   #4279
BlueRaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntikytheraBB View Post
i wonder if paint on a fan would be enough weight to affect it. or if it might change surface flow enough to affect performance.
Answer to both questions: Not unless you do a really terrible job of it.

Looks nice Ratzz, interested to see it in situ.
"There is, you must recall, the kind of serious study that will give you the confidence to strike your match to the mighty wick... that will illuminate yet another portion of the darkness" - Wynton Marsalis, 'Premature Autopsies (Sermon)'
BlueRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2016, 10:10 AM   #4280
Ratzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaven View Post
Answer to both questions: Not unless you do a really terrible job of it.

Looks nice Ratzz, interested to see it in situ.

I'm happy with it Just need to fix a slightly kinked hose from pump to GPU (still plenty of flow there, just looks a bit dick).

All put back together. In addition to switching back to the now repainted and cable extended Silverstone 600W 80+ Bronze PSU, I've made a few other changes.

I've replaced all the fittings and tube. Now using Primochill clear 13/16 with XSPC Black chrome rotary 90 bends and compressions.

I've also had some trouble with cooling.. the CPU block I was using was in a computer I accidentally set on fire once, and I'm thinking the erratic behaviour of the block is something loose or floating within the block.

I had another Supremacy lying around, so just for kicks I painted the top surface white.

When originally mounting the radiator, I mounted the fans outside and the rad inside. Unfortunately, although I would deem airflow as having been sufficient, it meant there was no room to install the factory filter in the front cover as designed. Now, both fans and rad are within the case, so the front filter works fine and there is masses of airflow in the front cover.

Temps dropped 10 at idle, and close to 40 in anger. Pleased, Am I. The case is very quiet, well insulated. Cools well and I can no longer hear the DDC (or anything else.. the fans make a dull distant roar while clocking but otherwise it's pretty much totally silent).

Last edited by Ratzz; 19th October 2016 at 10:13 AM.
Old 27th October 2016, 4:28 PM   #4281
ForneverAlone

early bday present for my partner
upgraded her case
Thermaltake Versa c21
sapphire rx480 8gb
x3 riing fans added in
and transplanted the rest in
just looks wicked and solid buy for the price.

Old 10th November 2016, 12:11 AM   #4282
scotteee

Almost finished new build, just needs to be fired up now

post a picture

X99 asus deluxeII
1.2tb intel 750 nvme
2 x asus strix 1080's
64gb corsair 2666
Old 19th February 2017, 10:50 AM   #4283
Grom Hellscream

Currently installing windows on my new build. 7700k, GTX 1080, 16gb in a mini ITX. Found that the thermaltake frio 12 doesn't fit an Asrock mini ITX board, the bracket fouls on the mosfet heat sinks and RAM heat spreaders. Cue me in the shed at 10pm last night on the bench grinder MAKING it fit.
Grom Hellscream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2017, 11:20 AM   #4284
Ratzz

Blew up the Asus Z170. Now been replaced with a MSI Z270i Pro Gaming Carbon. I've also installed a 7700K

Loving the RGB lighting controller on the mobo. I've installed a couple of Bitfenix RGB strips top and bottom, controlling those from the mobo. RGB lighting made me want to revert to neutral colours though, so the old red painted Silverstone got retired, and a Corsair CS550M has taken its place.

There is a mirror sitting loosely on the top of the PSU, I'll set one up neater and more permanent later. It will show off the pretty side of the GPU, the side nobody usually sees.. when I get a new pretty GPU (with RGB lighting also controlled by the mobo)

Also blew up the GTX 970. Now been replaced with a passive GT710

Also blew up the DDC pump. Its been a bad couple of weeks but at least that gave me the opportunity to finally stick the D5 in there. I've also replaced the white painted Supremacy for a cheap Alphacool, for now, while I wait for a new White Raystorm Pro to arrive on a slow boat from Asia..

Res is an Alphacool Light Tower. Love these things, the res is effectively a leak proof flow indicator
I've mounted it high, for easy access for top filling. Just take the top cover off, and there it is...

That also allows me to mount the D5 on its low profile Alphacool Plexi top V3 at the bottom of the case, leaving me room between the two for a longer GPU. By removing the bottom inner fan ( rad is push/pull ) I can fit a 280mm GPU. It'll cool fine on 3 fans

Bolted the pump to the bottom of the case using the vibration standoffs from the X3 res. Works well but it means the full length filter that goes under the case will no longer slide in and out. No biggie, a magnetic Silverstone fan filter under the PSU is doing all that is required.

I'll be filling that spot with a Gigabyte Extreme Gaming Waterforce 1080. Thats a GPU that comes with its own block, very pretty and high clocks too. Also very compact at 266x121mm and will easily fit into the space available.

Last edited by Ratzz; 19th February 2017 at 11:24 AM.
Old 25th March 2017, 5:09 PM   #4285
Copie

Finally decided to get off my ass and clean out my server rack as it was full of dust etc. Will be doing a full upgrade on it later on in the year moving to 1RU UPS units replacing the rather crappy Belkin units i have now along with adding a 48 or 60 drive 4RU case in addition to the Norco and Rackables, will also get rid of the 8 drive external drive caddy as i am wasting so much rack space.

Currently sitting on 12x6tb, 12x5tb, 16x3tb, 16x2tb (cold storage sitting in a hdd shipping box) and 8x3tb in the caddy. Will be expanding it to 36x6tb, 12x5tb, 24x3tb, 16x2tb.

Copie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2017, 2:33 PM   #4286
dmcdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyb1987 View Post
Here is my another built after 10 years. So far it's working great except for 3 things.

1) The casing fans did make some noise that I can hear them if I don't turn on music.

2) Finger print stay on the case.

3) The thumbscrew to open both side panel seem to be off for 1 or 2 mm. I have to screw it in angle.

However, the overall performance is pretty great. I can play mad max, rise of tomb raider in all highest settings.

LOL that shelf is about to give way !

had 3 monitors setup on a glass coffee table once, during a gaming session at 3am the whole thing collapsed and all the screens fell thru the glass. scared the crap out of all 3 of us...... hahaha
dmcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2017, 2:35 PM   #4287
SYF_Karma

made a start on new project today

Old 6th April 2017, 3:07 PM   #4288
MR CHILLED
D'oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYF_Karma View Post
made a start on new project today

Sneak peek What's the new project?
Old 6th April 2017, 3:20 PM   #4289
SYF_Karma

coming soon

this is good as a sneak peak as youll get

Old 9th April 2017, 12:23 PM   #4290
MR CHILLED
D'oh!

What's the case?

EDIT; oh as above, tou 2.0.

Last edited by MR CHILLED; 9th April 2017 at 12:47 PM.
MR CHILLED is offline   Reply With Quote