Overclockers Australia Forums

OCAU News - Wiki - QuickLinks - Pix - Sponsors  

Go Back   Overclockers Australia Forums > Specific Hardware Topics > Retro & Arcade

Notices

Search our forums with Google:

Old 20th March 2011, 12:37 AM   #31
B4TM4N

Did you get SMB3 in the pack too? I have Ironsword 2, even though i don't have the console yet I remember Star Wars from AVGN, it looks pretty terrible, same with terminator haha. I've never heard of Black Mantra before but it looks like ninja gaiden.

Question to all the Victoria members, Is there any flea markets here? I've heard of one in Wantirna ages ago but thats long gone
B4TM4N is offline   Reply With Quote

Join OCAU to remove this ad!
Old 20th March 2011, 1:40 AM   #32
xsive

Quote:
Originally Posted by proffesso View Post
hahah

top loaders are cheap as hell here, maybe I should bring some over next week
Want to pick me up a Famicom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4TM4N View Post
Did you get SMB3 in the pack too? I have Ironsword 2, even though i don't have the console yet I remember Star Wars from AVGN, it looks pretty terrible, same with terminator haha. I've never heard of Black Mantra before but it looks like ninja gaiden.
Yes SMB3 came in loose in the box. It's my second copy Haven't played Star Wars yet but I can confirm Terminator 2 is indeed pretty average. It's not broken or anything but the enemies have way too much health and it takes ages to kill anything.

Quote:
Question to all the Victoria members, Is there any flea markets here? I've heard of one in Wantirna ages ago but thats long gone
Off the top of my head, there's one in Laverton and another in Bentleigh. There should be lots in a big place like Melb.

Last edited by xsive; 20th March 2011 at 1:42 AM.
xsive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2011, 11:43 AM   #33
B4TM4N

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsive View Post
Off the top of my head, there's one in Laverton and another in Bentleigh. There should be lots in a big place like Melb.
Thanks i'll check it out !

Quote:
hahah

How cheap are they ? Tempted.
Old 22nd March 2011, 7:15 PM   #34
Gibbon
grumpy old man

Wooo, just started down what I suspect may be a slippery slope by picking up an Atari Woody + some games on ebay.

Looking forward to reliving some memories! When I was a kid (and these were released) we didn't have one ourselves, but my next door neighbour did, and I practically lived at his place for some time

Bring on River Raid!
Gibbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2011, 9:16 PM   #35
TaXy DriVar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbon View Post
Wooo, just started down what I suspect may be a slippery slope by picking up an Atari Woody + some games on ebay.

Looking forward to reliving some memories! When I was a kid (and these were released) we didn't have one ourselves, but my next door neighbour did, and I practically lived at his place for some time

Bring on River Raid!
Awesome ... River Raid was one of the best games on the Atari. I had a 2600 jr myself. Hero was another fantastic game, ... and Skateboardin' had some funky music.
TaXy DriVar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2011, 9:45 PM   #36
abs1nthe

Quote:
hahah

I'll take 1 or 3 if you do.
"Today, a young man on acid realised that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves... here's Tom with the weather." - Bill Hicks.

NINTENDO™ DS Lite
Owners Club Member #0066
abs1nthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2011, 10:30 PM   #37
Reaper

Woot! Finally got my snes yesterday. Perks of working at salvos. First day there I spotted it, fully boxed out back in the stack of electrical goods waiting to be tag tested. A month later, I got it yesterday, 8$. Fully boxed, all books, bits, foam inner, even the bag for the console. This thing is mint.

Now, the only thing I had to test with today was a gameboy to snes converter and I dunno if it's that not working, or the tv I tried it on or what, I just know I need a "real" snes game. So any suggestions?
_____|__||__|_____ ---||---------||---
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2011, 12:37 PM   #38
xsive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
Woot! Finally got my snes yesterday. Perks of working at salvos. First day there I spotted it, fully boxed out back in the stack of electrical goods waiting to be tag tested. A month later, I got it yesterday, 8$. Fully boxed, all books, bits, foam inner, even the bag for the console. This thing is mint.

Now, the only thing I had to test with today was a gameboy to snes converter and I dunno if it's that not working, or the tv I tried it on or what, I just know I need a "real" snes game. So any suggestions?
Nice score I saw a boxed N64 at the back of the local Salvos store but they wouldn't sell it to me before it was tested

As to SNES games; where to start? A few of my favorites: Super Probotector, Megaman X, Darius Twin, Zelda: A Link To The Past and Mario Allstars. All winners though all pretty hard to track down for cheap.
xsive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2011, 3:09 PM   #39
Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsive View Post
Nice score I saw a boxed N64 at the back of the local Salvos store but they wouldn't sell it to me before it was tested

As to SNES games; where to start? A few of my favorites: Super Probotector, Megaman X, Darius Twin, Zelda: A Link To The Past and Mario Allstars. All winners though all pretty hard to track down for cheap.
Oh yea, you wouldn't believe what's out back because it's just waiting to be tested. We also have a n64 and some play stations too. Laptops, desktop computers (a freaking 939 dual core no less). With that boxed n64, you should say you want it reserved for you. They should do that.

Anyway, yea, aside from zelda, they look good.
Old 27th March 2011, 8:44 AM   #40
cavanor

I purchased a dingoo a320 emu handheld to install dingux (dingoo linux) on and play all the old classics
cavanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2011, 7:02 PM   #41
abs1nthe

Quote:
Anyway, yea, aside from zelda, they look good.
Blasphemy. It is constantly voted THE best snes game. I can't belive you wrote that.
"Today, a young man on acid realised that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves... here's Tom with the weather." - Bill Hicks.

NINTENDO™ DS Lite
Owners Club Member #0066
abs1nthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2011, 6:11 PM   #42
B4TM4N

Quote:

Thats incredible mate, lucky find! Incredibly jealous here

Do you get many retro games coming into salvos? me things i have to explore the local ones
Old 1st April 2011, 4:56 PM   #43
Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4TM4N View Post
Thats incredible mate, lucky find! Incredibly jealous here

Do you get many retro games coming into salvos? me things i have to explore the local ones
Yea, sorta. The first day I was there there were a bunch of nes games there for bugger all. I didn't bother with them as I'm not into nes. The next few days they went.

Well I got a composite cable set in the mail for my snes and it worked on my 46" lcd with the super gameboy in it. So sorry to Elvis, I'm keeping it now. I guess you should have actually replied back to me, ah well, your loss.

I do have a proper game on its way, so hopefully next week I can play it "properly", and get around to setting up the 2nd tv with my snes, megadrive and atari all at once.

Speaking of crt TVs, we get them fairly regularly too, but our store doesn't keep them, straight to disposal. So if anyone did want an old crt tv, ask to have one kept aside, (not me, ask the store). Hell, I even disposed of like a ~36" screen the other day, it was freaking huge and heavy.

Last edited by Reaper; 1st April 2011 at 4:59 PM.
Old 2nd April 2011, 9:42 AM   #44
Flamin Joe

Well I've recently become addicted to collecting my old favourite DOS games. At the moment I'm currently limiting it just Ultima's and Lucasfilm/Lucasarts games (particularly the adverture games), but recently I started looking at the old Wing Commander games on Ebay which I feel is a start of an every increasing scope of what I'm going to collect!

Over the past couple of months I've picked up (in rough order and complete in box unless otherwise stated):

Ultima VI
Ultima V
Ultima III
Ultima II - 5.25" disks and manual only, but it came bundled with Ultima III which was complete

My Ultima collection is nearly complete. Just need Ultima IV, a complete Ultima II, Ultima I (dreaming lol) and Akalabeth (good luck with that one!).

Now onto Lucasfilm/Lucasarts:

Sam and Max Hit the Road
Day of the Tentacle
Battlehawks 1942 (woohoo! that rounds off my Lucasfilm flight sim collection)
Monkey Island 2 (left customs should be here Monday)
Maniac Mansion (as above)
Indiana Jones and the Fate Of Atlantis (coming soon)
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (coming soon)

As you can see I've been very busy lately hehe. Really stoked by my recent acquisition of both Indy games. Both are in mint condition and cost me a grand total of $40! I was expecting them to go MUCH higher.

I have to say the most joy I am getting out of collecting these old PC games I loved so much is introducing them to my 8 year old. We recently sat down and played through Day of the Tentacle over a few weeks. She loved it.

That's it for now, got 2 birthdays and a car service due so I'm taking a break. Unless something I just can't miss out on comes along.
Flamin Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2011, 4:12 PM   #45
Daft_Munt

Just got a Master System 2 and 24 games off the forums. Also found a copy of Wipeout for the Saturn at a shop in Hobart. Now to find a Saturn

FYI the shop has some console games but few consoles and lots of transforms, TMNT, starwars stuff. They even have an Optimus Prime (second ed) still in the box for $120.
Daft_Munt is offline   Reply With Quote